Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any real alternative to corrupt politics in Ireland?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi,

FF have been voted in time and time again by this country....and its fairly obvious that many of them are so corrupt along with a lot of the public services, Even fas and the HSE.

All seem to be just serving the few special interests groups in everything they do and then playing pretend politics with the rest of us.

Is there any way too get Ireland out of this way of life that we have become so used too that we feel its an impossible task too lift.

I really hope obama does bring change too the US and it isn't just full of false promises.

But on this side of the water, is there anything we can do too create a new Ireland based on Justice and respect for all?

Could this be accomplished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Complacent people => complacent government.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Vote for a party other than Fianna Fáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Short answer = NO. The problem is people not politics. As long as people think as they do politics will remain corrupt. Humans are pack animals and all packs have a leader/s. Every leader/s decides whats acceptable and whats not. Does a leader/s ever look at themselves as corrupt? No, its only people below the leader/s that think this way, the people that rule deem their actions as acceptable as nobody holds them accountable. Does God ever do any evil? No, how can he when he decides whats evil?

AMK, that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Offy wrote: »
    Short answer = NO. The problem is people not politics. As long as people think as they do politics will remain corrupt. Humans are pack animals and all packs have a leader/s. Every leader/s decides whats acceptable and whats not. Does a leader/s ever look at themselves as corrupt? No, its only people below the leader/s that think this way, the people that rule deem their actions as acceptable as nobody holds them accountable. Does God ever do any evil? No, how can he when he decides whats evil?

AMK, that you?
    As I said, change the leader. Show the current ones that their behaviour is not acceptable and make damn sure the new one knows it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Breezer wrote: »
    As I said, change the leader. Show the current ones that their behaviour is not acceptable and make damn sure the new one knows it too.

Whats really needed is a young leader with new ideas. Someone who's not political.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

People were all too aware of what FF were turning a blind eye to and/or condoning, as well as the way they were running the country into the ground.

But enough of them still voted for them.

Unfortunately, we have those people to blame. The Government can only give itself pay rises and expenses when it's in power, and the country had its chance and bottled it.

If you let a kid away with robbing sweets in a sweet shop, and don't punish it when you get the chance or let it know that what it's doing is unacceptable, it'll keep on repeating the crime.

FF are corrupt, brain-dead kids who view the public as their pocket-money provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it called an election, so people use it for change, it happened in the u.s. why not in i.e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

The greens seem to be having alot of problems i saw another of there TDs resigned what would happen if the greens pulled out or collapsed from goverment ????

Would a election be called ???

Hope so cant stand FF i freakin hate enda kenny but id rather give his shower a shot a running the country surely they could do no worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Offy wrote: »
    Whats really needed is a young leader with new ideas. Someone who's not political.

ahem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Why blame the Government for being thieving, lying, cheating abusers of responsibility authority and trust?

- Why not blame the fúcktards who voted them in there in the first place despite being fully aware that they were thieves, liars, cheats, abusers and untrustworthy?

Sow, reap....

Lie in made bed.....

Oh, and by the way, has Enda Kenny retired into the ignominy of abject failure yet or is he going to be the Hobsons choice of Irish politics until he hits the 100 yr old mark?

- I blame his non-candidacy as much as I despise their wánkerism......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Raiser wrote: »
    Oh, and by the way, has Enda Kenny retired into the ignominy of abject failure yet or is he going to be the Hopkins choice of Irish politics until he hits the 100 yr old mark?
    What's a Hopkins choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

sceptre wrote: »
    What's a Hopkins choice?

He meant hobsons choice. Here's an article, take it or leave it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson's_choice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

fergalr wrote: »
    He meant hobsons choice. Here's an article, take it or leave it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson's_choice
    Thanks, I thought that's what might have been meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

sceptre wrote: »
    Thanks, I thought that's what might have been meant.

Ah sorry - well, in that case, I have no more information on whether that's what he actually meant than you did.

I figured if you were familiar with Hobsons choice, you'd have said something more like "Do you mean Hobson's choice?", as that would be clearer. My bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I don't think there is an alternative. Corruption has become the norm at this stage.I think the international community all know Irish politics is rotten to the core. The Irish are in denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

grahamo wrote: »
    I don't think there is an alternative. Corruption has become the norm at this stage.I think the international community all know Irish politics is rotten to the core. The Irish are in denial.
    Heard of the USA? Silvio Burlesconi? Ireland doesn't compare tbh.

But yeah there is a need for change. An Irish Taoiseach earning more than the president of the United States is not in touch with the people, no matter what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

The government is not interested in what the public have to say.

We only really see politicans in this country when they want your vote, they arrive smiling and promising you the world.

So you go out and vote, your politican does not get enough votes, so they take that vote and add it to another candidate that you did not vote for?

Then the party that was voted in gets ousted and a coalition gets formed, so you end up with a party in power that was not voted into power.

This must be changed. If you vote for a candidate and he fails to get elected then that vote is spoilt.

Surely our whole constitution is illegal as it was supposedly based by plebiscite on 1 July 1937. Only the professional and the educated classes were included in this plebiscite.The illiterate were ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

But the problem is that sometimes the state must encroach upon personal liberty, and in this case a good political system must be made to be sure this encroachment is the least negative as is possible.

Take the recent budget. Now Im no educated libertarian like doneglafella, but I would consider the upping of petrol price state interference with my life. This is because the state wasted **** loads of (my) money, and to pay for that they must interfere with my personal liberty to go and drive where I want. So in this case the remedy would not to say freeze all taxes indefinitely, but to create a system where the politicians will not need to up taxes.

Ok maybe thats a stupid example. But I think the best solution is good government, not no government. But saying that, for someone in my position who has the ability to get a degree and live without government assistance, small government is a lot better alternative to bad government.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

The government is not interested in what the public have to say.

We only really see politicans in this country when they want your vote, they arrive smiling and promising you the world.

So you go out and vote, your politican does not get enough votes, so they take that vote and add it to another candidate that you did not vote for?

Then the party that was voted in gets ousted and a coalition gets formed, so you end up with a party in power that was not voted into power.

This must be changed. If you vote for a candidate and he fails to get elected then that vote is spoilt.

Surely our whole constitution is illegal as it was supposedly based by plebiscite on 1 July 1937. Only the professional and the educated classes were included in this plebiscite.The illiterate were ignored

Actually 1.3million people voted in the plebisicite. That sounds pretty representative.

What voting system would you suggest to replace it?

British style "first-past-the-post"? Labour got only 35% of the vote in their last election but Blair still got a majority in Parliament. That's hardly much better is it?

Also you say "they take that vote and add it to another candidate that you did not vote for"

That's wrong. You give a number 1 vote to someone and if they can't use it it goes to your number 2 preference and so on. If you don't put a number 2 on at all then you're vote is "non-transferable" and thus effectively spoilt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Advertisement