Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects to pick for medicine or pharmacy?

Options
  • 22-01-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Im about to sit my Junior Cert this year and am getting to the point where i have to pick my subjects for 5th year. I want to get into Medicine or Pharmacy or possibly something in Engineering and have no idea what subjects to do.

Right now im doing Technology and Business, I love tech and LOATHE business(But i got 93% in my christmas exam[without studying too :D]).

Does medicine or pharmacy need all 3 sciences or will Biology and Chemistry Suffice and for my third subject maybe Technology

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Biology and Chemistry for medicine and pharmacy, and Physics for Engineering.
    At least one science subject, it dosen't really matter which in the long run anyway, although i think Chemistry may be needed for some specific mediciney courses.

Dont quote me on this though, do your own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A lot of (all?) Engineers courses require higher maths, so do that. Exact requirements for medicine and pharmacy vary from college to college, I'd recommend going onto www.qualifax.ie doing a search for pharmacy and medicine and you'll see the requirements for all the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Higher Maths for engineering, probably all the sciences knowing your interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

For medicine, a good knowledge of chemistry is needed.
    You would want to be fairly confident in getting an A1 in chemistry if you are considering the course.
    Biology isn't a huge deal. I know a few of the meds who didnt do biology for their LC and it's not holding them back.
    This may sound a bit odd but I think higher level maths is a big help too.
    Theres a lot of equations containing logarithms and what not in biochemistry, vectoral analysis of EKG's in physiology and we study a wee bit of statistics too.
    Hope thats some help! :)

Oooh is it organic chemistry? Organic chem is fun!

• Advertisement

Hello Piste!
    Organic Chem hasnt made an appearance yet, but I think I remember someone telling me that there are essays on alcohols in 2nd year.:confused:
    Not 100% on that one.

So far the chemistry has involved amino acids and protein structure (hydrogen bonding, van der waals forces, hydrophobic interactions, e.t.c)
    Glycolysis, Krebs Cycle & Oxidative Phosphorylation and some other areas which you wouldnt touch on at LC Biology/Chemistry

Organic chem is indeed fun but ya cant bait the old orgasmic chemistry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Yeah, mainly Chemistry. But try to keep up 3 sciences, or 2 and higher maths if you're thinking about going to England- always nice to keep all your options open. But check the courses in each college first. Ag Science doesn't count as a science in Edinburgh. And you can't use it along with Biology in certain colleges, which is retarded.

So far the chemistry has involved amino acids and protein structure (hydrogen bonding, van der waals forces, hydrophobic interactions, e.t.c)
    Glycolysis, Krebs Cycle & Oxidative Phosphorylation and some other areas which you wouldnt touch on at LC Biology/Chemistry

Oh wow that sounds fun!

Its not really that much fun!:o

I read your recent blog on that LC blog and If you are interested in the working conditions that junior doctors are subjected to you should get your hands on a copy of "The Bitter Pill" by Dr X.
    Great read.

You can have a listen to him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭ergo

this might be slightly off topic but before taking the plunge and picking medicine or pharmacy please talk to both a qualified doctor and a pharmacist to find out what the job is like etc and career options and if they have any regrets and ask them about the negatives as well as the positives

I don't think Doctor X's book will give you a grasp of the bigger picture (but it's a while since I've read it) in terms of career options and wanting to stay in Ireland etc and the difficulties with that

but best of luck either way!

• Advertisement

Applied Maths would be very handy for Engineering.

+1 on the applied maths.
    My flatmate is doing engineering, asked me to give him a hand with some of his homework, and i swear to god some of those questions looked like they were ripped straight out of oliver murphys book.

Advertisement