Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody know the legalities of this...?

• 22-01-2009 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Anybody know the legalities of this...?
    A guy i used to work with had 40,000 in a dublin bank

He borrowed another 20,000 in 2007 and went back to russia with the intention of paying it back and invested the entire 60,000 in a business in moscow

The business failed and he is now broke in russia having made no repayments to the original loan so still owing the bank 20,000+ whatever interest

Is he liable for any criminal charges if he comes back to ireland?

or is it just a case of owing money to the bank and being black listed for 7 years?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Depends on what reason he gave the bank for borrowing the money.

If you take out a business loan then you must declare it as a business loan to the bank.

If you take a car loan out knowing that the loan is to fund a business venture then in theory the bank could go after you for obtaining the loan by fraudulent means (if you can't pay the loan back).

Then again.....what's the chances of him coming back to Ireland anytime soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Black listed as worst. I fret for the amount of loans that will just be left behind as the economic suitation gets worse in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

keefg wrote: »
    Depends on what reason he gave the bank for borrowing the money.

If you take out a business loan then you must declare it as a business loan to the bank.

If you take a car loan out knowing that the loan is to fund a business venture then in theory the bank could go after you for obtaining the loan by fraudulent means (if you can't pay the loan back).

Then again.....what's the chances of him coming back to Ireland anytime soon?

actually he does want to come back to ireland as he has lost all his money in the failed business deal but is worried about whether hel be thrown in jail if he comes back

i told him not to worry about it since i know heaps of people inn debt and i never saw any of them thrown in jail over it

besides how much would it cost to keep a person in jail!
    would cost a lot more than the original debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

madmik wrote: »
    but is worried about whether hel be thrown in jail if he comes back

Heh heh....if that were the case then there'd be no room for him anyway as our prisons would be full of corrupt polotitians :D

He can either keep his head down and hope the bank doesn't track him down or come clean to the bank and instead of being blacklisted (if he's that concerned about being blacklisted) and ask them to set up a manageable payment plan for him to clear the debt.

Even if he offers to pay back €20 per week (at a renegotiated interest rate of course) then at least the bank have a chance of recovering some or all of the debt.

If he makes a reasonable offer to clear the debt based on what he can earn it would be difficult for the bank to refuse it. If I were in that position and the bank refused my offer then I would tell them to get lost and take me to court. After hearing that you made an offer to clear the debt no reasonable judge will look favourably on the bank - especially the way those feckers have been acting recently and the massive bail outs they are receiving.

Advertisement