Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama must take oath for a 3rd time..

Options
  • 22-01-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

President Obama must re-retake his oath

After constitutional law experts questioned the validity of his swearing-in because of a fluffed line in the oath of office, Mr Obama had to move quickly to quash speculation that his presidency was in any way illegitimate.

John Roberts, the Chief Justice charged who helped bungle the oath on Tuesday, was summoned to the White House and, in front of a small pool of reporters, Mr Obama carefully and accurately repeated the 35-word oath prescribed by Article 2 of the Constitution.

The problem was, no-one thought to bring a Bible and Mr Obama decided to go ahead without one.

It is not clear whether Mr Roberts, the Supreme Court Chief Justice, had been expected to bring a Bible with him but it might come as a shock to some of Mr Obama's more devout supporters – he and his family are regular churchgoers – that no Bible was available last night and the ceremony went ahead without one.

A third oath must now go ahead before small town gun and Bible toting America finds out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

lol, I can just imagine Billy Ray and Cletus going crazy over it, in there trailer.

AFAIK it's not actually a requirement. It's seemingly just a voluntary gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

norbert64 wrote: »
    FYI though, it's not actually a requirement. It's seemingly just a voluntary gesture.
    I'm pretty sure Dave knows that, hence his last line.

Might work better if they get someone other than Roberts to administer it the third time - any proper judge can administer the oath. I'll give him that it wasn't his job to bring a bible with him (that falls to the president) but it's still his fault for cocking it up the first time.

As for the Obama family not being able to find a bible, if they have one perhaps it's in the boxes that they moved in the previous day. Doubtless there were other boxes they opened first, like the one that has the Blackberry charger. I'm actually quite pleased that the non-residence White House doesn't appear to keep one.

Hes the third president to not take the oath on the bible..its not a requirement..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He is a MUSLIM!!:eek:

Agghhhhh Run to the hills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can you imagine the hysteria if he swore on the koran?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Some American Presidents were sworn in on a copy of the constitution which is what they are swearing to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

jank wrote: »
    He is a MUSLIM!!:eek:
    ...and left-handed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can you imagine the hysteria if he swore on the koran?

Id almost like him to do it just to see the reaction. Now that would be funny!
    Foxnews would self combust with jizzem!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

This is getting silly now! He's President. Move on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

CtrlSource wrote: »

I second that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The reports I saw over here said he was sworn in on the same Bible the second day (ie. Lincoln's Bible) so I call bull**** on this.

If I don't see a reputable link, this thread dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

CtrlSource wrote: »

No one cares and we have all moved on.

On the other hand , if he was a republican there would be protests outside the whitehouse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

jhegarty wrote: »
    No one cares and we have all moved on.

On the other hand , if he was a republican there would be protests outside the whitehouse now.

Riiiight :rolleyes:

Advertisement