Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP -UPC Broadband -Port Forwarding.

Options
  • 22-01-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got UPC 10mb Broadband in , I am looking to setup port forwarding on a Atlantic scientific router .

I am a bit green when it comes to this ...can anyone advise or help with a idiots step by step guide on how to do this ?:confused:

Ta

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you're talking about the black Scientific Atlanta modem which UPC give (has the two phone ports on the back), then you don't need to forward any ports. The modem acts as a bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ta Kensington,

I am trying use a certain piece of software (dont know if allowed to name it here ) for downloading music it is telling me that I have a port forwarding or firewall problem and i need to open a port for so others can connect .

My firewall is off so have you any input , sorry i am really green when it comes to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

General consensus is that UPC block or severely "shape" (slow down) bit torrent traffic which is probably what is causing your problem. No amount of port forwarding or otherwise will sort it out for you. If your software has an option for "Encryption" anywhere, try turning it and see does it make any difference.

Have a read of this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055132322 :(

Thanks Kensington ... I will have a good read and see what i can come up with .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

if its torrents you can enable encryption on the client software and its help a bit, i just got NTL installed and couldnt get torrents going fast at all, once i enable encryption it went from about 30k to 300-400k not as fast as a 20mb should go but a good improvement

• Advertisement

Thanks Peter ...If you improve it more in the future please let me know any tips you may have.

Advertisement