Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds till out by a fiver. Boss says its coming out of my pay.

Options
  • 22-01-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

A friend of mine works in McDonalds on the till. They were out by €5.50 one day last week. The supervisor told them they need to make up the difference. Is this normal practice? It sounds like bollocks to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I worked in a hotel (in a previous life) and if the till was out the staff on duty had to make up the difference. Management never had to contribute though and they would have operated the till too:rolleyes:

In my next life I worked in a Bank and staff never had to make up a till difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A friend of mine works in McDonalds on the till. They were out by €5.50 one day last week. The supervisor told them they need to make up the difference. Is this normal practice? It sounds like bollocks to me.

It is
    they should be issued a verbal warning or something, not have pay deducted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/pay-and-employment/pay_slip

Deductions from pay

An employer may not make deductions from your wages unless:

* They are required by law, for example, tax (PAYE) and social insurance (PRSI),
    * They are provided for in the contract of employment, for example occupational pension contributions.
    * They are made with your written consent, for example, trade union subscriptions
    * They are to recover an overpayment of wages or expenses
    * They are required by a court order, for example, an attachment of earnings order in a family law case
    * They arise due to your being on strike

Where your employer suffers loss through your fault, for example breakages or till shortages or your employer supplies a service as part of the job, for example, a uniform, deductions may be allowed but only where:

* They are allowed for in your contract
    * They are fair and reasonable
    * You have received a written notice of the deduction - a full week's notice if the deduction arises from your mistake
    * The amount of the deduction does not exceed the loss or cost of the service
    * The deduction takes place within 6 months of the loss/cost occurring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Thats deductions from pay.

I assumed that the OP meant that the staff had to hand over the actual cash rather than have their pay reduced (pay reduction would be a bit of a paperwork headache). Its probably the same thing at the end of the day.

If they do have to hand over the cash (to keep the peace) ask for a receipt :) That will give OP's friend a chance to check out the legality of it and have proof that payment was demanded. It might put the Manager off asking for a miserable €5.50 too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

jhegarty wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/pay-and-employment/pay_slip

Deductions from pay

An employer may not make deductions from your wages unless:

* They are required by law, for example, tax (PAYE) and social insurance (PRSI),
    * They are provided for in the contract of employment, for example occupational pension contributions.
    * They are made with your written consent, for example, trade union subscriptions
    * They are to recover an overpayment of wages or expenses
    * They are required by a court order, for example, an attachment of earnings order in a family law case
    * They arise due to your being on strike

Where your employer suffers loss through your fault, for example breakages or till shortages or your employer supplies a service as part of the job, for example, a uniform, deductions may be allowed but only where:

* They are allowed for in your contract
    * They are fair and reasonable
    * You have received a written notice of the deduction - a full week's notice if the deduction arises from your mistake
    * The amount of the deduction does not exceed the loss or cost of the service
    * The deduction takes place within 6 months of the loss/cost occurring

Thanks for the info. I reckon the supervisor would have just pocketed it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Thats deductions from pay.

I assumed that the OP meant that the staff had to hand over the actual cash rather than have their pay reduced (pay reduction would be a bit of a paperwork headache). Its probably the same thing at the end of the day.

If they do have to hand over the cash (to keep the peace) ask for a receipt :) That will give OP's friend a chance to check out the legality of it and have proof that payment was demanded. It might put the Manager off asking for a miserable €5.50 too :D

Yeah, the supervisor said it would be very bad for my mate if the senior manager discovered this grand larceny. They have two weeks to pay in hard cash (I kid you not). I'll get them to ask for a receipt and point them in the direction of the Maccie D's Staff handbook...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

That is pretty tight. I manage a busy bar in the city. We have five tills on the go over busy times. One or two staff are assigned to each till. With the high usage of eftpos and cash along with added problem of till sharing, variance do occur. We class under $5 as excellent, less than $10 as ok. If there ever is a variance (up or down) of more than $20 we have a chat with the staff member. If it occurs again and again they are given a warning about their till usage and the possible loss of job due to inability to use a till properly and cost us money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

What people will do for money.
    I used to collect accounts for my sins when I left school and there was always someone who would strike up a conversation to put you off your stride give you a 5 and say they gave a 10 and demand the change back of 10.........
    Usual routine became to keep the tendered 5 in view until the transaction was ended, talking her through all the steps so she knew that nothing would defer me from doing the right thing.
    Others would claim non deliveries and had to have all deliveries witnessed by two people and still got away with it by claiming the stuff was stolen......
    In the end stiff competition and price wars put an end to the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check what the procedure is in the staff handbook.

I used to work there and at the time discrepancies equal to about an hours wages were tolerated over an 8 hour shift.

I strongly doubt it has changed. The supervisor is either doing a wind up or a scam.

Have your friend raise it with a more senior manager.

Advertisement