Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

soak pit test

• 22-01-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does any viewers here know architects/engineers fees for a soakpit test and report generation. I have recently got an additional bill on top of my original fee of 3800 for planning application. The additional bill was for a soakpit test and a forsed change of plan (L shape to a T shaped 2 story).
    the additional bill is for 2600euro brining the architects fees now 6500 euro and still no application granted. (Mayo Coco plannning application). I fell this is way outside any expected additional costs. Comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Must be supplying tank and all for that fee.

Going rate here in Donegal for a site assessment would be around €500 - €600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Thanks muffler.

This soak pit test was in addition to the original trial hole tests that were completed for the original planning submission 3 months prior to this. Is you estimation of 500 euro for the test and report still valid as if this is the case they are charging 2100 euro for a forced change of plan even though they met with the council planner for the first draft. I am miffed as to why they failed to see the failure of the original application. Their reason for planning failure was that the rural development plans changed roughly 2 months before my application was subbmitted and that they were unsure of the guidlines to follow. I cant see why I should be paying for this and aspecially the amount requested.

Im not too sure what exactly was done for the soak pit test but Id think €500 would cover it adequately. Prices will vary from county to county and Im sure (at least hope) that the regulars here will comment on this also to give you an idea what the fees would be in other counties.

From what you say Im a bit surprised at the additional fees being sought regarding the design changes. New guidelines/rules are contained in a County Development Plan which is usually on display for months before it is adopted. If your architect had a pre planning meeting then this issue should have been thrashed out at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Pj, As I also work in Mayo I'm afraid the story in regard to all planning applications for one off houses is similar. The surface water soak pit test was brought in in the Co Development plan and so far I havn't found anyone to do one (except for myself!!) but I have been told by the man who tests my trial holes that someone he knows in a different co charges around 1200 for this test.

As for the design changes Mayo Co Co have now brought in a design guide for rural houses and as far as I can see if the features on your house are not shown in the guide then you cannot have them, its complete and total rubbish and is difficult to get around.

In fairness to your architect/engineer there probably has been a lot of extra work but you should have been informed that there would be cost impliactions and was any work for further information included in you original fee quote. My own fees would be broader similar to those you were originally charged and I do allow for a reasonable ammount of FI but if my client wants a design outside of the guidelines I'll design it with the priviso that a complete redesign will cost more. A few minor adjustments shouldn't cost much or anything. If you are not happy with the cost do challange you architect / engineer let him justify it if he can.

Muffler as for our development plan we are currently working under a directive from the Minister overturning our adopted development plan so it is a complete and total mess resulting in situations as the op has described. I made a number of submissions including throwing out the rural housing design guide, or at least letting us alternatives (better ones!!) but they were completely ignored. My 4 year old would have done better with a crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I got the test done before xmas and cost me 750, in wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No.6 has given good advice and is from the same county.

I think the additional fee is on the high side. I don't understand why a contract was not agreed at the start, outlining a break-down of costs and fee for additional FI if charged.

I include a certain amount of FI but sometimes I charge extra, for major changes or large request of info, agreed with Client prior to doing the works.

Changing a L shape bungalow to a T shaped two storey would be a total new design.

Planning permission is a process, nobody can forsee the end decision. As professionals we can do our best to achieve a positive decision but we can not guarentee Permission.

Talk to your Architect and get a cost break-down.

I have tidied this thread up a wee bit and have moved the posts in relation the design guidelines in Mayo over to here

• Registered Users Posts: 34 feelinfoul

getting my percolation test done soon for 450 euro in Carlow

Perc tests are around the same cost here the soak pit test is a different beast althogether. its new and nobody truly understands it, I have done some but I need to have a digger (which someone has to pay for!!) and loads of water (which can be tricky!!) available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

No6 wrote: »
    Perc tests are around the same cost here the soak pit test is a different beast althogether. its new and nobody truly understands it, I have done some but I need to have a digger (which someone has to pay for!!) and loads of water (which can be tricky!!) available.

I take it from your post that a Soakpit test is different from a Site suitability test, which is done so as to determine waste water treatment unit options.

Does anyone out there know what a soakpit test is or a link to how it should be done.

• Advertisement

Its a test to BRE 365 tells you exactly how to do it and the calculations etc and theres also a piece of software out there called visual soakaway you can download a trial version to calculate the size of your soakpit.

No6, Muffler, RKQ

Thanks again for your information. Thanks N06. Good to have someone who knows the local issues. I have already approached the architect and there is a quite period of communication now and I guess they will come back soon.

For information: The soakpit test is for run off water and I arranged a digger to dig a 30cm wide 1.5 metre deep and 1.5 metre long trench that was filled with clean stone. A wavin pipe 4" (1.8M long) is then drilled with (10mm) holes along the length so that the end result is a pipe just protruding just above the surface and surrounded by stone. I obtained an empty slurry tank with 3000 litres of water. 1000 minimum and this was used by the engineer to complete the test.So in short the site was prepared for this test at my cost.

N06/Builderfromhell. This was all on site for the test so there were no additional costs for the architect but to provide the engineer and computation.

RKQ. The forsed change of plan was originally a 2 story in a L shape and because the front elevation had part of the L protruding over 2Metres out in front, this was deemed not suitable by the planning authorities and I ended up with a T shape or better explained and inverted T so that the front of the house looked to be on one plane. So the change was not that massive to go from a 2 story L to a 2 story T shape.

PJMCKE wrote: »
    So the change was not that massive to go from a 2 story L to a 2 story T shape.
    There would be a substantial amount of work involved in that as the internal layout would have been fairly well rehashed.

muffler wrote: »
    There would be a substantial amount of work involved in that as the internal layout would have been fairly well rehashed.
    I know what he means muffler there may or may not have been that much work, by the way Gables are evil in Mayo!!!on the front of houses, they're grand everywhere else & Pj if anyone ask's you about XXXXXXXXXXX The soakpit test should have been one to two days work max and should not cost that much particurarly as you provided the digger, water and the stone for the test but as I don't know exactly what work was done its impossible to say, there may have been lots of other items of FI that took time, I hope it works out for you PJ, has it been resubmitted to planning yet?

Mod edit: part of post removed. Read the charter please No6

No6 wrote: »
    I know what he means muffler there may or may not have been that much work, by the way Gables are evil in Mayo!!!on the front of houses, they're grand everywhere else & Pj if anyone ask's you about a good person to get planning in Mayo feel free to send them my way!!! (about time I gave myself a shameless plug here!!!) The soakpit test should have been one to two days work max and should not cost that much particurarly as you provided the digger, water and the stone for the test but as I don't know exactly what work was done its impossible to say, there may have been lots of other items of FI that took time, I hope it works out for you PJ, has it been resubmitted to planning yet?

N0 6 . No problem. It was resubmitted and I should have a reply soon. Who knows I could well be intouch if the FI goes further. Thanks again. I do appreciate my architect and am happy with the drawings but the shock of the additional cost did come out of the blue. I had planned using them for construction drawings and quantity surveying /building costs but am a little deterred now.

I hope it goes well for you PJ as long as you have ticked all the co councils many boxes you should be ok!! Let us know when you get planning. :D

Advertisement