Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycotting Israeli Goods

Options
  • 22-01-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I stand corrected if not. I for one have had enough of seeing Israel bully their neighbours in Gaza, treating them as if they were some sort of subhuman species, killing such large numbers of children etc. People were equally disgusted with the apartheid system in South Africa and the general boycotting of all things south african gave the powers there no choice other than to pay attention to what the world felt about what they were doing and to change their practices. Today while buying some organic dates in a well known organic outlet here in Cork I realised that the dates were from Israel and it irritated me to think that I might be supporting some self righteous Zionist folk. I have decided to pay more attention to the source of my goods from now on and to avoid buying Israeli stuff. Has anyone else consifdered doing likewise??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

BMurr wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I stand corrected if not. I for one have had enough of seeing Israel bully their neighbours in Gaza, treating them as if they were some sort of subhuman species, killing such large numbers of children etc. People were equally disgusted with the apartheid system in South Africa and the general boycotting of all things south african gave the powers there no choice other than to pay attention to what the world felt about what they were doing and to change their practices. Today while buying some organic dates in a well known organic outlet here in Cork I realised that the dates were from Israel and it irritated me to think that I might be supporting some self righteous Zionist folk. I have decided to pay more attention to the source of my goods from now on and to avoid buying Israeli stuff. Has anyone else consifdered doing likewise??

I don't think that Israeli farmers should suffer because of their government's actions, but of course everyone is entitled to make their own decision of what to buy or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

No because not all Israelis support their government's actions. This isn't in the appropriate thread. Hardly a consumer issue rather a political one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

not all south africans supported aparthied but we led a pretty sizeable boycott of their goods which recieved world-wide attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, you'll be boycotting Intel, as well? They have a sizeable operation there.

=-=

My, I'll boycott the terrorsits who fired rockets into Israel, whilst Israel didn't fire back for 6 months, until they got fed up, and attacked said terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Politics forum is this way -> http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ten days ago I may have agreed with what you said, but considering the story I heard last weekend about how a load of protesters ganged up on, surrounded and generally gave a hard time to an stall owned by an Israeli gentleman in a large Dublin shopping centre as a part of their protest against the current Israeli / Hamas war, I'd actually have no problem buying Israeli produce.

There's protesting and there's just being a prat trying to have a cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A muslim kebab shop owner here in NZ kicked two Israeli women out of his shop (they were speaking Hebrew to each other) and refused to serve them as a protest against Israel. He went on the news and said this and everything. There was uproar and people were protesting against his shop and now a lot of people are boycotting getting their kebabs there (unless they're drunk, I presume)

Apparently this is against the women's human rights but there's not much they can do about it.

Boycotting Israeli products is one thing but refusing to deal with Israeli's that just want a kebab is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This sort of thing is pathetic and petty and does nothing to help the Palestinians!
    Do you think farmers and businesses in Israel are responsible for the violence in Gaza?
    Get a grip!

P.S why don't you boycott Google too, they have an office in Haifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

eth0_ wrote: »
    This sort of thing is pathetic and petty and does nothing to help the Palestinians!
    Do you think farmers and businesses in Israel are responsible for the violence in Gaza?
    Get a grip!

P.S why don't you boycott Google too, they have an office in Haifa.

Lets not forget that Israel is a democracy and chooses a government which carries out these actions on their behalf. It might also be worth considering what sort of reaction the british would have got if they carried out a similar attack in Dublin following the IRA bombing of their cities in the 1970's and 1980's.

Your comment about google is just daft, we live in a global economy where it is almost impossible to seperate out one country as being solely responsible for a product, however each little voice of protest can add up to a major force for change.

Israel does itself no favour with their actions. Imagine the analogy of two families living on the same street, one of the families has a teenager( Palestines Hamas) who throws rocks at the neighbours( Israel) walls, causing more of a threat than causing any major damage. The family under attack (Israel)in turn go over to the others house and retailiate by setting it on fire and killing one of the children rather than get the authorities ( UN etc)involved. Now bearing this analogy in mind do you think anyone would give a damn if someone else in turn burnt them( Israel) out of their own house and killed some of their members??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

the_syco wrote: »
    So, you'll be boycotting Intel, as well? They have a sizeable operation there.

=-=

My, I'll boycott the terrorsits who fired rockets into Israel, whilst Israel didn't fire back for 6 months, until they got fed up, and attacked said terrorists.

Same as me. I'll be buying my rockets elsewhere for the forseeable......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

So, you'll be boycotting Intel, as well?
    lol what a crap example

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I could never give up those delicious Israeli Medjool dates. Yum yum yum.

Pythia wrote: »
    I could never give up those delicious Israeli Medjool dates. Yum yum yum.

I know, they are lovely, like little soft toffees, very more-ish. Californian ones taste just as good.

Israel does itself no favour with their actions. Imagine the analogy of two families living on the same street, one of the families has a teenager( Palestines Hamas) who throws rocks at the neighbours( Israel) walls, causing more of a threat than causing any major damage. The family under attack (Israel)in turn go over to the others house and retailiate by setting it on fire and killing one of the children rather than get the authorities ( UN etc)involved. Now bearing this analogy in mind do you think anone would give a damn if someone else in turn burnt them( Israel) out of their own house and killed some of their members.
    Using your analogy: the teenager was throwing petrol bombs through the neighbours front windows. The neighbours then retaliate.
    A 6 month ceasefire is then called, whereby the neighbours don't retaliate, but the teenager continues to throw petrol bombs into uninhabited rooms. The police turn a blind eye to all of this. This continues until the neighbour comes in with guns, and kills the teenager.
    Grim. wrote: »
    lol what a crap example
    A lot of US companies have bases in Israel to take in the cheap tax, etc. I really doubt they're going to boycott Intel, so it'll be a selective "boycott certain items that come out of Israel" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

i suppose everyone will be removing their sky card from their sky box, as it is made and produced in israel.

is it just another tool of their propaganda machine.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Using your analogy: the teenager was throwing petrol bombs through the neighbours front windows. The neighbours then retaliate.
    A 6 month ceasefire is then called, whereby the neighbours don't retaliate, but the teenager continues to throw petrol bombs into uninhabited rooms. The police turn a blind eye to all of this. This continues until the neighbour comes in with guns, and kills the teenager.
    and for good measure some of the other kids in the household too but then the analogy merges with reality as a fair few innocent kids were killed in Gaza too. Random homemade rockets can hardly be analogous with petrol bombs capable of destroying the house( Israel), a few nuclear devices would be fitting of such an analogy though.

Random homemade rockets can hardly be analogous with petrol bombs capable of destroying the house( Israel), a few nuclear devices would be fitting of such an analogy though.
    They may be homemade, but PIJ can fire QUDS-4 rockets to a 22 kilometre range.

Advertisement