Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat blues band

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 StanDunneCV

Alri fellas,
    Dont worry about me learning songs inside out! I wing everything! :)
    But sure thats the only way tho!
    See you all tommorrow.

Stan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Fair play guys, enjoy the jam :)
    If either guitarist has some catastophic accident I play guitar and wouldn't turn down a blues jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 harroldshipman

hey i'm a 22 year old drummer been playin bout 5 years i you're interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

We all still on for tonight?

I have my guitar with me in work - don't let me down chaps....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kimnjess

Lads booking is under my name - Joe Davis. See yez all later :)

Can someone print out the lyrics for the songs we are going to cover?

I have that done already man, nice and big type so we can all wail!
    See you later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have that done already man, nice and big type so we can all wail!
    See you later.

Good to see you're on the ball Stan. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

Rigsby wrote: »
    There's nothing to stop you joining us. :) What do you play ?

Guitar but I'm to far away:(

Drummer never showed up, thanks 1952. Mixd who had also replied to this thread but had dropped out when 1952 eventually let it be known that he was a drummer was good enough and close enough to come along at short notice. It was a good session and we'll do it again.

• Advertisement

Good session - most enjoyable after a ****e daye in work.

Nice to meet the guys and play some blues tunes.

I think we are meeting again in 2 weeks time.

Yes. A very enjoyable session. Thanks again to Mixd for turning up on short notice after "1952" let us down. Looking foreward to the next one. :)

Really enjoyed it to lads - hard to find lads who just want to jam the blues...so it was great. Couple of suggestions from me for the next jam...little red rooster (Howlin Wolf) or Superstisious by him aswell...Id love to do a ew of thos peter green numbers too Keyzer! Anyway take care lads, il keep in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

pity about the drummer, +1 for superstitious +100 for peter green.

nice going lads

Really enjoyed it to lads - hard to find lads who just want to jam the blues...so it was great. Couple of suggestions from me for the next jam...little red rooster (Howlin Wolf) or Superstisious by him aswell...Id love to do a ew of thos peter green numbers too Keyzer! Anyway take care lads, il keep in touch.

Great suggestions Stan. Lets do those Howlin' Wolf numbers next time. As for Peter Greene, how about "If you be my baby" (we touched on it last night). and "Black magic woman" ?

Also maybe we could lower the volume a little next time, as my ears are a little sore today....... even though I was wearing ear plugs. :D

Good call on the volume Rigsby, was a little on the loud side alrite!
    I love them songs that you suggested alrite - sure we'll wait and see what everyone thinks and put down some definates soon. Black Magic Woman's a great number too!:)

Delighted you all had a great night. I was worried when I saw an 8 page thread on bands/msicians! I thought you were killing/bumping/no idea really!

Great suggestions Stan. Lets do those Howlin' Wolf numbers next time. As for Peter Greene, how about "If you be my baby" (we touched on it last night). and "Black magic woman" ?

Also maybe we could lower the volume a little next time, as my ears are a little sore today....... even though I was wearing ear plugs. :D

Good call - If You Be My Baby and Rollin Man by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac are savage. I have tons of that stuff on my laptop, we can listen next time and picka few tunes to play.

Volume was very loud at the end - I had a pounding headache when I got home :mad:

All in all - twas a good jam.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Delighted you all had a great night. I was worried when I saw an 8 page thread on bands/msicians! I thought you were killing/bumping/no idea really!

Thanks Papa :)

We were all surprised at how the thread just took off. Great that it was a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 mixd_98

I might have been a bit over 'enthusiastic' on the crash/ride towards the end, my ears were buzzing last night, dont want to be doing that too often, the volume was more like a motorhead gig than a simple blues jam. glad to know it wasnt just me.

mixd_98 wrote: »
    the volume was more like a motorhead gig than a simple blues jam.

:D

Agreed. I think we all just got a bit carried away. We'll tone it down a fair bit for next time.

The volume was more like a motorhead gig than a simple blues jam. glad to know it wasnt just me.

LOL

My suggestion for next time, Ace Of Spades by Motorhead :pac:

Ok if nobody's biting on the Motorhead suggestion what about Pride and Joy which we had a go at too, or Cold Shot, Mary Had A Little Lamb - SRV,
    Going Down - Freddie King, Need Your Love So Bad - Fleetwood Mac???

Motorhead....lol!:pac:
    Im down for any of the above tunes mentioned, so whoever put together a final list and we can get crackin on them. Love Mary had a little Lamb and that Freddie King number!

• Advertisement

I dont mind what numbers we try. They are all good. I have one suggestion though. That we try and have more structure to the songs, i.e. try to perform them as close as possible to the recording chosen, with stops ect.

I know it was just an introductory open jam the other night, but after a while the songs all seemed to sound the same IMO (i.e. on open jam).

Just an opinion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I'd love to jam with you guys...Need your love so bad is a top tune...I can play it off to a T and also used to sing it in a band years ago :(
    You should try Tush by The bearded lads....great tune that really gets an audience goin ....Best of luck...let me know when the first gig is on eh? :D

I dont mind what numbers we try. They are all good. I have one suggestion though. That we try and have more structure to the songs, i.e. try to perform them as close as possible to the recording chosen, with stops ect.

I know it was just an introductory open jam the other night, but after a while the songs all seemed to sound the same IMO (i.e. on open jam).

Just an opinion. :)

Agreed - starts and endings should be something we concentrate on in the next jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mremanuelepisu

hi guys,
    nice to play with you , 2 suggestions , focus on the structure of the songs,
    fix the volume ,was very high..my ampli first :)

hi guys,
    nice to play with you , 2 suggestions , focus on the structure of the songs,
    fix the volume ,was very high..my ampli first :)

Thanks for that, but we've sussed it already ( see previous few posts ). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

How ye all.

I'm a bassist who'd be interested in a bit of a blues jam, been playing for a few years now. Would love to come along to the next jam if ye'll have me.

How ye all.

I'm a bassist who'd be interested in a bit of a blues jam, been playing for a few years now. Would love to come along to the next jam if ye'll have me.

I'm in a blues band already, and we cover a lot of the songs I was jamming with these guys. So I'm going to stand down and hand over the bass duties to you.

So lads..... "General Zod" is now the new bassist in "The Fat Blues Band" :)

Congratulations !!

Is that like some sort of mafia kiss of death? :D

I'm in a blues band already, and we cover a lot of the songs I was jamming with these guys. So I'm going to stand down and hand over the bass duties to you.

So lads..... "General Zod" is now the new bassist in "The Fat Blues Band" :)

Congratulations !!

You sure about this?

Zod - you better turn up at the next session otherwise we're funked...

Is that like some sort of mafia kiss of death? :D

It's what ever you want it to be "General" :)

Keyzer wrote: »
    You sure about this?

Yes.

I enjoyed the jam, but I think it'd be better for me to put my time and energy into learning and perfecting the band's songs.

I wish you all the best of luck with the band. :)

Yes.

I enjoyed the jam, but I think it'd be better for me to put my time and energy into learning and perfecting the band's songs.

I wish you all the best of luck with the band. :)

Fair enough - all the best with the band.

Zod - you defo in?

Thats a pity rigsby, thanks for comin to the jam all the same.
    Welcom to Zod, you in man?
    SO wats the final list of tunes to learn? for the next jam?
    Workin on starts and finishes too! put some polish on it!

Keyzer wrote: »
    Fair enough - all the best with the band.

Zod - you defo in?

I can come along and jam with ye, I have another band on the go at the minute, but always on the look out for oppertunities to play.

Just seeing this now Rigsby, that's a pity but best of luck with the band.

Zod are you definitely on for this if you have commitments with another band? We've already been let down by a drummer.

As for songs what about:

Thrill is gone
    La Grange
    Crossroads
    Have you ever loved a woman
    If you be my baby
    Black Magic Woman
    Supersticious
    Pride and joy
    Need your love so bad

We don't have to do all of these but we could choose from among these and spend some time trying to get a few right.

Also what day suits everyone? What about Tuesday 24th?

Yup those songs sound good to me man, Im in agreement anyway.
    Tuesday 24th suits too...same place?

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to let you down, in fact I'm being upfront about it all. I'm happy to jam with you as you need a bassist, but I can't say I'm able to commit full time. If you can find someone to play full time then great, I'm just offering my help until such a time as you have someone who can commit fully.

Unfortunately, Mon- Weds isn't great for me (work/other commitments) thursdays I can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mixd_98

Tuesday or Thursday is good with me. Just to let you know I was in the 108 pub in Rathgar last saturday night, they run kind of a blues/rock night upstairs, anyway got talking to the guy who runs the place, I told him about our little project and he said we could come and play if we had 5 songs together. I know its probably a little premature at this stage but would be good craic all the same, its not quite the Wembley stadium, there only was about 50/60 punters there at the time. Anyway i told him i might be in touch at some stage.

for me its ok the 24..
    can i have the tones of the songs please..
    thanks

for me its ok the 24..
    can i have the tones of the songs please..
    thanks

The Key of the song?

We'll play in any key you need us to play in amigo...

Tuesday or Thursday is good with me. Just to let you know I was in the 108 pub in Rathgar last saturday night, they run kind of a blues/rock night upstairs, anyway got talking to the guy who runs the place, I told him about our little project and he said we could come and play if we had 5 songs together. I know its probably a little premature at this stage but would be good craic all the same, its not quite the Wembley stadium, there only was about 50/60 punters there at the time. Anyway i told him i might be in touch at some stage.

Sounds good - we can look at playing something there in the near future when we nail 5-6 songs.

Zod - all we need is someone reliable, we're not going on a world tour any time soon so a jam every two weeks and then and perhaps a gig or two. Howya fixed?

ok keyzer, great to know that you can play in any key..:)
    now,
    can someone tell me the correct key of each song please,
    many thanks

Sounds fine with me :)

ok keyzer, great to know that you can play in any key..:)
    now,
    can someone tell me the correct key of each song please,
    many thanks

LOL...

Thrill is gone - Bm
    La Grange - A
    Crossroads - A
    Have you ever loved a woman - D
    If you be my baby - D
    Black Magic Woman - D
    Supersticious - Dont Know
    Pride and joy - Dont Know
    Need your love so bad - A

We can play the songs in any key though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ozziesda

Hi guys. I'm a drummer based in D.24 . I'm 30 with 20+ years experience. Interested in all styles of music but love good old 4/4 rock.

I have an electric kit and a monster pearl kit for bigger gigs but believe in the less is more philosophy.

If you're interested in organising a jam send me a P.M.

• Advertisement

thanks keyzer,
    next 24 febr. at what time?
    cheers

Advertisement