Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recent Water Drops (C&C Welcome)

• 23-01-2009 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

My latest attempt at water drops using a Canon 400D, 18-55mm IS and Speedlite 430EX II.

F33C1E9B8EB042E7A106AC7CA79D4DEE.jpg
    5B2DF90499B548CC91AA109A1B5EEE61.jpg
    03F8805B22AF48D5981CF5A51140BD8C.jpg
    2E4A6ACA8F974FBA9C4D5097813D222E.jpg

C&C Much appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

these look great, very sharp and nicely timed? Care to share your technique? I tried some of these last weekend and found it quite difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

3rd and 4th are really nice, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Very nice, love #1 & #4 :).

I've been wanting to try this for a while but haven't made the time. Have you a photo of the setup used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

They are nice. Though could be a bit sharper. The first set with the Fuji camera was definitely better. I wonder if the 18-55 IS needs some to be desired in the sharpness dept.

Maybe the shutter speed needs to be faster than 200th sec to adequately stop the motion. Have you tried to stop the action using only the flash? Kinda like high speed photography. You might find you get sharper images. All in all though, a very nice attempt.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Must try this today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You can use the hi-speed selection on the flash also to up the shutter speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I like #4 the best. Odd the way the drop fragments.

Digital camera magazine has a tutorial on this this month. I might give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

these look great, very sharp and nicely timed? Care to share your technique? I tried some of these last weekend and found it quite difficult
    kjt wrote: »
    Very nice, love #1 & #4 :).

I've been wanting to try this for a while but haven't made the time. Have you a photo of the setup used?

Thanks guys, I've attached a couple of photo's of my set-up below. Its very amateurish but it might help. And if you get stuck along the way feel free to ask, and if I can help I'll be more than willing to. :)
    oshead wrote: »
    They are nice. Though could be a bit sharper. The first set with the Fuji camera was definitely better. I wonder if the 18-55 IS needs some to be desired in the sharpness dept.

Maybe the shutter speed needs to be faster than 200th sec to adequately stop the motion. Have you tried to stop the action using only the flash? Kinda like high speed photography. You might find you get sharper images. All in all though, a very nice attempt.

Dave OS
    Thanks for your input Dave, very much appreciated. I 100% agree that the Fuji ones are that bit sharper and I haven't been able to figure out why yet.
    I know there's no EXIF attahed to these (thats due to the re-sizing software I have, it seems to strip the EXIF data) But the first of these was shot at 1/3200, the second and third are 1/60 in complete darkness (using the flash to freeze the drop) and the forth one is 1/4000. So as you can see I've tried both methods but without much success.
    You could be onto something with the lens though, do think its possible that the lens just isn't up to it?
    Any other suggestions are very welcome.
    Howitzer wrote: »
    I like #4 the best. Odd the way the drop fragments.

Digital camera magazine has a tutorial on this this month. I might give it a go.

Thanks for that, I'm definately going to check that tutorial out.

PICTURES OF SET-UP:

You could be onto something with the lens though, do think its possible that the lens just isn't up to it?

I think it's very possible. Here's some I took about a in Nov '07. The lense is EF-S 60mm set to manual focus. I used three flashes in these and set the shutter speed to 200 sec.

The full set is here.

1938698131_15b23b2983.jpg

1938409979_7247257cca.jpg

1939299690_58f63535ee.jpg

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Fantastic shots. #1, #2 & #4 for me.

• Advertisement

I think it's very possible. Here's some I took about a in Nov '07. The lense is EF-S 60mm set to manual focus. I used three flashes in these and set the shutter speed to 200 sec.

The full set is here.

Dave OS

Thanks, and a good set too. I don't suppose you took a photo of your set up by any chance? I love seeing how other people get these shots. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Thanks, and a good set too. I don't suppose you took a photo of your set up by any chance? I love seeing how other people get these shots. :)

Well I think I might be purchasing that edition as well, and I agree, photo's of set ups are great, just to get some inspiration and get going!

Nice work!

Did you use water and some sort of colouring for the redness I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Have you tried to stop the action using only the flash? Kinda like high speed photography. You might find you get sharper images. All in all though, a very nice attempt.

Dave OS

Your gonna have to elaborate on this for me. How do you do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Thanks guys, I've attached a couple of photo's of my set-up below. Its very amateurish but it might help. And if you get stuck along the way feel free to ask, and if I can help I'll be more than willing to. :)

Thanks for your input Dave, very much appreciated. I 100% agree that the Fuji ones are that bit sharper and I haven't been able to figure out why yet.
    I know there's no EXIF attahed to these (thats due to the re-sizing software I have, it seems to strip the EXIF data) But the first of these was shot at 1/3200, the second and third are 1/60 in complete darkness (using the flash to freeze the drop) and the forth one is 1/4000. So as you can see I've tried both methods but without much success.
    Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for that, I'm definately going to check that tutorial out.

PICTURES OF SET-UP:
    Did you use extension tubes ? it looks quite large ?

Sorry, I didn't take any photos of the setup. It was just done on spec. 3 flashes, one on camera, a macro ring flash, two slave flashs each one on both the left and right sides. I set the lense to manual and focused appropriately. I used a medicine dispenser device thingy with a bulb on the end to control the drops. Also a highly reflective blue card under the water to get a nice colour. Here's one without.

1939207254_2a042bb080.jpg

One thing for sure. I got a hell a lot of misses. After that I bought some dyes (red and blue) but I never tried it again.

So I guess you could say, take my advise above as the way not to do it. :D

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Nice to see the setup shots.
    Where did you get the nice styrofoam? Art shop? Good idea to use that.

I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap fish tank some day.

sNarah wrote: »
    Did you use water and some sort of colouring for the redness I wonder?

Just tap water and Goodalls food colouring. (€1 a bottle)
    jackdaw wrote: »
    Did you use extension tubes ? it looks quite large ?

Didn't use Extension tubes, would like to try that some day (must get extension tubes first) I think they might just look big due to the Crop, although I was pretty close to the water as you can see from the set-up pictures.
    Nice to see the setup shots.
    Where did you get the nice styrofoam? Art shop? Good idea to use that.

I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap fish tank some day.

A fish tank would be excellent, you've just planted a seed in my head. I'm thinking fruit being splashed into water etc... mmm!
    The styrofoam I get from work, we unpack a lot of machinary everyday from Canon and it all comes packed with the stuff. If your around Waterford your more than welcome to some.

I bought the magazine and read the tutorial, and although there's a couple of useful tips in it, I have to say that I'm happier with the results that I get than those shown in the magazine. I hope that doesn't sound big-headed or anything but I was just a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I bought the magazine and read the tutorial, and although there's a couple of useful tips in it, I have to say that I'm happier with the results that I get than those shown in the magazine. I hope that doesn't sound big-headed or anything but I was just a bit disappointed.

I read that tutorial and to be honest your shots are far better. The tutorial is handy for people starting out on water drops. Like myself. :)

Advertisement