Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycotting Israeli Goods

Options
  • 23-01-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

It loks like my original posting under the consumer issues thread may be considered by some to be misplaced so here it is in the political forum.

I for one have had enough of seeing Israel bully their neighbours in Gaza, treating them as if they were some sort of subhuman species, killing such large numbers of children etc. People were equally disgusted with the apartheid system in South Africa and the general boycotting of all things south african gave the powers there no choice other than to pay attention to what the world felt about what they were doing and to change their practices. Today while buying some organic dates in a well known organic outlet here in Cork I realised that the dates were from Israel and it irritated me to think that I might be supporting some self righteous Zionist folk. I have decided to pay more attention to the source of my goods from now on and to avoid buying Israeli stuff. Are others considering doing likewise, or are there other ideas around as to how we the ordinary consumer can make a dfifference to this situation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

You should have made the manager of the store aware of your feelings on these child murderers, produce being sold in their store,
    These big stores don't want to be seen to act as Dunnes did years ago on the South African imports issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

can I ask all the hypocrites here who want to boycott Isaeli goods something

is it only a boycott when it suits or does it have to be a total ban on all Israeli goods

if the latter is the case the number of people here supporting this would be throwing out thier pc`s (Intel and other chips for soundcards etc )
    never using microsoft windows
    deleting there anti virus software and firewalls
    aol instant messanger would be a no no
    the gut cam digestable camera for treating cancer wouldnt be an option
    radiation free breast cancer diagnostic test would be out the window
    the cell phone was developed in Israel could you live without it ?
    not to forget voicemail tehnology.
    better throw all those items out from motorolla.
    weapons that armys use to keep you safe and secure like the Uzi smg that the gardai use.
    no more cherry tomates yep those little pesky feckers are Israeli
    if you get parkinsons dont expect to take Azilect
    while were on medicines Exelon for alzhimers would be out of the question
    thats made by teva but beware those zionists have one of the worlds largest pharma companies better check that asprin did I mention Pfizers r and d in Israel and the blindness drug they make there?
    mri (the medical scan was invented in Israel)
    peroxide explosives wouldnt be detected in airports only for Israel
    skype and voip technology yep you guessed it.
    I know theres lots more and Im sure you will do your bit.

better start by turning off your computers some of it was made in Israel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Israel did not invent the cell phone

Cherry tomatoes are largely from central america

Skype?? NO

Exelon is made by a swiss company

A few examples, I think you get my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Why would you want innocent Israelis, such as date farmers, to suffer because of the actions of their government and defence forces? What if the date farmer was an Arab Israeli? Would that make a difference? Or is the prejudicial ignorance of the OP so compelling that we should all condemn Israel and everything Israeli from now on?

Bloody hell. There should be a ban on people in this fvcking country discussing politics in the Middle East. Sometimes free speech is a curse. I'm moving to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you want to identify Israeli goods all the bar codes start with 729.

• Advertisement

Why would you want innocent Israelis, such as date farmers, to suffer because of the actions of their government and defence forces? What if the date farmer was an Arab Israeli? Would that make a difference? Or is the prejudicial ignorance of the OP so compelling that we should all condemn Israel and everything Israeli from now on?

Bloody hell. There should be a ban on people in this fvcking country discussing politics in the Middle East. Sometimes free speech is a curse. I'm moving to China.

Innocent or not, they voted this Government in and must live with the consequences. I dont pretend to understand all that goes on over there and I dont think anyone over here really does, but we know what terrorism and murder look like and like it or not there is no excuse for the horrific actions we have seen inflicted on a largely innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Sometimes free speech is a curse. I'm moving to China.

why go as far as China ? Holland is much closer, and you can spend euro :pac:

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Israel did not invent the cell phone

Cherry tomatoes are largely from central america

Skype?? NO

Exelon is made by a swiss company

A few examples, I think you get my point

motorolla invented the cell phone in Israel
    http://realisrael.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/israel-is-the-silicon-valley-of-the-mediterranean/

herry tomatoes were invented in Israel
    http://www.ittn.org.il/success.php?cat=9&incat=0
    VOIP technology was invented in Israel
    http://www.israel21c.org/bin/en.jsp?enDispWho=Articles%5El1016&enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=object&enVersion=0&enZone=Technology
    exelon as explained below
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3541019,00.html
    The Hebrew University patented the drug, and sold it to the Swiss company Sandoze in 1986. Sandoze demanded that the fact that Exelon is produced in Israel be kept confidential, and so it was until the company merged with another to become Novartis in 1997, when the demand was rescinded.

I think you get MY point
    try reasearch first

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm feckin out my box sets of Curb Your Enthuesiasm. (Just as soon as I can spell it).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    Skype is as Israeli as Estonian bread is. They're very proud of both of those things In Tallinn.

I assume you meant ICQ, which has nothing to do with Skype but does actually come from Israel (whether you agree with them or not, they're talking about boycotting products, not ideas -like many other countries Israel contributed to the development of VoIP tech but they've still got sod-all to do with the product you've listed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

For much the same reason 'innocent' white South Africans had to suffer. Because it worked. Israel is an apartheit state and I will treat it identically.

I'm walking to work these days since I found out Veolia, who run the Luas, are building a settlers only tram in the occupied terretories.

If you want to avoid Israeli goods the first three numbers on the barcode are 712

http://www.boycottisraeligoods.org/

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm feckin out my box sets of Curb Your Enthuesiasm. (Just as soon as I can spell it).

why? nothing to do with Israel

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

why? nothing to do with Israel

I'm over-reacting. Wouldn't be the first around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm boycotting Palestinian goods.

It's probably a good thing anyway cos if they were any good at things they'd have killed a lot more Isreali's. One side being a poxy shot is no reason to cannonise them.

In fact, screw all that, Hamas are Jesus reincarnated. All peace loving champions among men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im with you on this one. Ill go visit ya in china. Poor innocent farmers done nothing wrong.
    I know people are gonna say but didnt they vote in the government. Same can be said here. If the irish government is thick then it goes to stand that us irish are thick. Im grand though. I dont vote

sceptre wrote: »
    Skype is as Israeli as Estonian bread is. They're very proud of both of those things In Tallinn.

I assume you meant ICQ, which has nothing to do with Skype but does actually come from Israel (whether you agree with them or not, they're talking about boycotting products, not ideas -like many other countries Israel contributed to the development of VoIP tech but they've still got sod-all to do with the product you've listed).

i use skype because it would be the most famous brand
    and voip was soley invented in Israel
    http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/voip-patents-run-amok.asp
    plenty more recources out there to back it up

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm boycotting Palestinian goods.

It's probably a good thing anyway cos if they were any good at things they'd have killed a lot more Isreali's. One side being a poxy shot is no reason to cannonise them.

In fact, screw all that, Hamas are Jesus reincarnated. All peace loving champions among men.

thanks for that somehow i dont see made in Gaza being ce marked would probably be toxic paint and other nasty things "to kill the infidels" but there supporters in Ireland wouldnt tell you that
    I can go to sleep with a smile on my face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    i use skype because it would be the most famous brand
    and voip was soley invented in Israel
    http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/voip-patents-run-amok.asp
    plenty more recources out there to back it up
    I'm afraid Skype is as Israeli as Christianity is (also invented in the same area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

We should start with boycotting goods that are actually made in sweat shops.

And if we're boycotting Israeli goods, we should start boycotting Chinese goods too, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

Some of the choices would obviously be diifficult. In the global manufacturing scheme of things some stuff will have some israeli component or other embedded in it without us knowing it. However some choices are easy such as in the fruit and veg aisle where there may be choices and clear labelling. If people don't want to boycott thats their perogative, there were plenty who kept on buying SA goods when others didn't- who made the difference? Certainly not the people who didn't give a damn about what the ethical background of their goods was, and it is obvious that there are a few who will post on this forum opposing boycotts without having any better ideas. Voicing concerns will not make a jot of a difference to israel, we've seen how much respect they have for international community via their attacks on UN. They will not like to have their pockets impacted though.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    We should start with boycotting goods that are actually made in sweat shops.

And if we're boycotting Israeli goods, we should start boycotting Chinese goods too, for example.

two entirely different debates.

I agree with you on seat goods, but thats not whats being talked about here.

The BIG campaign is specifically to target the economy of an apartheid state that recently slaughtered 300 children via a boycott campaign and lobby for economic sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The most important Israeli item, so I'm led to believe, is the Sky encryption provided by NDS. Would we be boycotting this or would we just leave it off the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

The point of a boycott is to have an economic impact now. It's irrelevant what things were invented in Israel in years past. The Israeli government isn't getting a cut of cellphone sales revenue so there's no reason to boycott cellphones duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    The point of a boycott is to have an economic impact now. It's irrelevant what things were invented in Israel in years past. The Israeli government isn't getting a cut of cellphone sales revenue so there's no reason to boycott cellphones duh!

The Israelis wouldn't be missing out on the royalties, at least, for the use of the technology invented by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭munchester29

Yea, let's boycott the only democracy in the middle east.
    Those bastards! How dare they defend their citizens from attacks by a peace loving terrorist organization!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Those bastards! How dare they defend their citizens from attacks by a peace loving terrorist organization!

Wait, I taught the US established a democracy in Iraq ;).

Also, if Israel is a democracy, then Iran is also one and Lebanon as well, if we are going to lower the threshold to include Israel, then those other countries should be considered democracies as well.

So by my count there are 4 democracies in the Middle East, of course if we include Afghanistan in the Middle East, then thats 5 (the US also brought democracy to them ;)).

Also, Israels siege of Gaza, was an act of collective punishment, on the 1.5 million people of Gaza and an indiscriminate act of state terrorism. So Israel is hardly innocent, when it comes to terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Palestinians in Gaza elected Hamas-democracy no? Why do you think haven't elected officals automatically makes a colonial power better than the people they are colonising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

No one is boycotting Lebanese goods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yea, let's boycott the only democracy in the middle east.!

Could you explain why the system of Government is in anyway relevant to the discussion?

The boycott is in reaction to the occupation of lands outside its borders by Israel, and its treatment of the native population therein.

Advertisement