Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N95 - To buy or not to buy??

• 23-01-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Due an upgrade and really like the Nokia N95. Worth getting or not? Need phone with decent camera, wifi, gps etc. And keypad. Touchscreen woudl drive me crazy. Is the N95 outdated now or still a worthy phone. Appreciate any help.
    Had Nokia N96 didnt like the plactic feeling of it so got my money back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The N95 is the same spec as the N96, well pretty much. It has extra space, and dvb-h which is no use at present, so the n96 doesnt beat the n95 really.

The n95 feels a lot better also. If you brought the n96 back because of the plastic feeling then the n95 will suit you. Its a lot cheaper now, and will be still around for awhile.

It did get a bit of negative feedback regards the build quality but that was more at first, and the slider because a little loose but over a year and a half mine is still in good shape. Its also the longest i have kept a phone, as not much that can really beat it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

seconded. i love my N95

*kisses phone*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    seconded. i love my N95

*kisses phone*
    Oh, liquid damage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i have mind 10 months now. The longest i have ever kept a phone for. After going through about 30 phones at least and the n95 is by far the best phone ever. Might get the n97 when thats released.

I love you n95 mwah

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Recently stepped up to N95 8Gb from an old Sony Ericsson, and know someone who uses older grey N95. No significant problems to report.

Full of toys, nice range of third-party apps that use the hardware (e.g. chat client to use Skype over wifi, and some that use the accelerometer to trigger stuff like reject calls by flipping over the phone).

Battery life has been a pleasant surprise - had heard bad reports a year or two ago at launch, but hasn't been my experience.

Really liking the full size earphone jack to use it as a mp3 player with any old headphones.

I find the GPS is quite weak - but I don't use it much, but when I've tried it it doesn't always register where you are, so you've only got a map.

Camera is slow - but results are good, and flash is effective.

Wifi is good, and in-built browser good enough too - worth paying for Opera mobile software though. Can handle some - but not all - Flash videos, and the default browser can rotate the screen for better aspect ratio.

Prices for the model should go through the floor with the N97 launch, making it more worthwhile than ever.

• Advertisement

Oh, liquid damage :D

god damn it :mad:

don't worry i'll just go back into the shop and scream and i'll get a new phone

raze wrote: »
    Really liking the full size earphone jack to use it as a mp3 player with any old headphones.

i found a very good use for that a few weeks ago. i was at a house party and someone wanted to hear a particular song so i connected the phone to the owner's wifi, went to m.youtube.com, started playing the song and plugged the guy's speakers into the headphone jack - instant any song you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

i found a very good use for that a few weeks ago.

I thought this would be to do with the liquid damage :D

gar wrote: »
    I thought this would be to do with the liquid damage :D

don't be silly. i always put in in a plastic bag before i do that. i'm not an idiot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

DonFred wrote: »
    Due an upgrade and really like the Nokia N95. Worth getting or not? Need phone with decent camera, wifi, gps etc. And keypad. Touchscreen woudl drive me crazy. Is the N95 outdated now or still a worthy phone. Appreciate any help.
    Had Nokia N96 didnt like the plactic feeling of it so got my money back.

Got N95 8GB version in May 2008. I was also looking for a descent camera, wifi, gps and other gizmos. I am very happy with the phone but it has few things that i do not like so much.

Pros:
    - pretty good camera (as for the phone, in this case any compact would be better)
    - fantastic video quality (much better then most compact digital cameras)
    - you can play full size DivX movies (need to install DivX player for Symbian)
    - good gps with free maps (you need to pay for the navigation option though)
    - loads of apps available for Symbian
    - great audio player with quite descent inbuilt stereo speakers

Cons:
    - quite bulky, you can not carry it in your trousers pocket
    - battery life is quite short, it gets better when you disable wifi network search, bluetooth and set the phone to use GSM only. 3G seems to be sucking the battery dry
    - speakers are quite good but.. when watching a video speakers are on top and on the bottom of your screen...

it is also worth to mention that while gadgets like wifi and gps are great stuff I am using it only while on holidays. In May I will get an upgrade. I am thinking about much smaller phone with descent battery life. I will use the N95 when going away and stuff but I do not really need all these gadgets in my pocket.

DonFred: I can recommend this phone but only if you really need all these gadgets. If you buy the N95 i recommend that you also get a car charger.

I hope this short review helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Have it about 6 months now, and my love for my phone is nearly unhealthy.

Couldn't recommend it enough!

i found a very good use for that a few weeks ago. i was at a house party and someone wanted to hear a particular song so i connected the phone to the owner's wifi, went to m.youtube.com, started playing the song and plugged the guy's speakers into the headphone jack - instant any song you want :)

Ive been using it that way for awhile and find it great. After awhile tho you will have to ask for a charger :rolleyes: But i find using emtube works better than youtube. Can save the files to the phone you if want so dont have to reconnect to the net the next time you watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Someone else posted some pros and cons so I'll give my thoughts on them I guess

Pros:
    - pretty good camera (as for the phone, in this case any compact would be better)
    seconded
    again, seconded
    not actually bothered myself, but the option is nice
    once you've preloaded the maps onto it it's pretty good, although a little slow it does the job
    seconded
    I don't actually use the MP3 player as much as I used to .. and I find the music player a bit of a mess .. but the sound quality is pretty good and plenty of storage too

Cons:
    I disagree. It's just getting used to it. It is bulkier than some other phones though.
    - battery life is quite short, it gets better when you disable wifi network search, bluetooth and set the phone to use GSM only. 3G seems to be sucking the battery dry
    I'm actually getting up to 2 days out of mine so I'm happy enough. I'd browse the web and check emails a bit too. I do notice though the battery is more a day and a half with serious internet usage or wifi usage.
    - speakers are quite good but.. when watching a video speakers are on top and on the bottom of your screen...
    not really noticed
    - there's no memory card slot which I find a bit annoying

Overall I've compared the n95 8gig and the n96 in my head, in person and in price .. and I really don't feel the n96 offers anything worth getting. If offered the two I would pick the n95 probably, I really didn't like the feel to the n96 at all.

Random wrote: »
    Someone else posted some pros and cons so I'll give my thoughts on them I guess

Pros:
    seconded
    again, seconded
    not actually bothered myself, but the option is nice
    once you've preloaded the maps onto it it's pretty good, although a little slow it does the job
    seconded
    I don't actually use the MP3 player as much as I used to .. and I find the music player a bit of a mess .. but the sound quality is pretty good and plenty of storage too

Cons:
    I disagree. It's just getting used to it. It is bulkier than some other phones though.
    I'm actually getting up to 2 days out of mine so I'm happy enough. I'd browse the web and check emails a bit too. I do notice though the battery is more a day and a half with serious internet usage or wifi usage.
    not really noticed
    - there's no memory card slot which I find a bit annoying

Overall I've compared the n95 8gig and the n96 in my head, in person and in price .. and I really don't feel the n96 offers anything worth getting. If offered the two I would pick the n95 probably, I really didn't like the feel to the n96 at all.

Get the original n95 and use a memory card up to 24Gb

davton wrote: »
    Get the original n95 and use a memory card up to 24Gb
    But I like the bigger screen and general feel of the 8 gig one :(

Random wrote: »

i'd agree with you. i carry it AND a k800i in my pocket

i'd agree with you. i carry it AND a k800i in my pocket
    I have to say I did complain first time I had the n95 about the size and feel .. this is why I got rid of it. But then I got my n95 8gig (about a year later having had various phones in betwee) and wouldn't look back. Warming up a little to the n95 now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I got it, I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Could be a bad idea now, because there is a general worry/fear that Nokia may loe interest in improving firmware etc for the N95 while they concentrate on the newer devices!

Id recommend you get an N85....wayyyyy better phone!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

Love my N95, specially the headphone jack which I can connect up my old(ish) stereo with the AV cable they give you and listen to mp3s.

My only problem with it is that it can be very slow, the more stuff you have stored on it the longer it takes to open the photo gallery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

raze wrote: »
    (e.g. chat client to use Skype over wifi,

Would like to know how this works and were I can get this

I have N95 no problems with it and heard bad reports about the battery but so far so good does go down if you are browsing. Downloaded Skyfire for browsing
    but not the best

Nokia Maps not the best and downloaded Google maps but have not used the sat nav

Were is the best place to get apps for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Personally I would not buy a two (almost three) year old mobile phone, no matter how good it is. If you want the latest and greatest wait for the N97.

The other option is the N82 - it is the N95 in "candybar" form, all of the same features with some impressive upgrades (proper flash for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Would like to know how this works and were I can get this

I only know of the one I use - it's called Fring.

I've used it to make Skype calls, it also handles chat protocols: gtalk, msn, icq, yahoo, aim, twitter and sip.

Google should give plenty of results for N95 (and other Symbian) apps. e.g. here and this is where I found Fring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I've been using my N95 classic for about 18 months now and I have to agree with the other posters - this device (to call it a mere phone would be a great injustice) is definitely worthy of a strange and unnatural love.

For me the jury is out on the N97 until we see some in the wild but if the OP wanted something more current with the same features as the N95 but also some extra bells & whistles (fm transmitter for example and better flash), the N85 might be worth a look.

There has been a lot said on battery life - I always took the view that considering the functionality of the phone which was pretty ground-breaking at the time, allowances have to be made. A nightly charge should keep most users happy.

As for the camera, the N95 has replaced my compact for day to day use and having a decent data bundle with 3 enables me to shoot and post pics to Flickr and short videos to YouTube on the go. (the sig pic was taken with my N95).

I give mine a lot of abuse (it comes everywhere with me) and have found the build quality excellent. Its not skinny true but then again, its not a clothes hanger for parading down the catwalk and its bulk helps in giving the inbuilt speakers a surprisingly good timbre and stereo separation for this size of device..

I think the N97 will have to be a really great phone to be a worthy successor - the N96 certainly was not that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Best Phone I have ever had.....Got the N95 classic and have 8gb card in it.....

Excellent

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭400R

I have an upgrade waiting for me at the mo and i can get the N95 8gb for 70E so its kinda hard to pass up-i'm just worried about the OS of these. I've heard some bad stories-true or false? I currently have an N73 and the OS is appalling!:mad: sometimes up to 10 seconds for a page/screen to open! If the N95 wasn't any better i think it would really put me off. Any opinions?

400R wrote: »
    I have an upgrade waiting for me at the mo and i can get the N95 8gb for 70E so its kinda hard to pass up-i'm just worried about the OS of these. I've heard some bad stories-true or false? I currently have an N73 and the OS is appalling!:mad: sometimes up to 10 seconds for a page/screen to open! If the N95 wasn't any better i think it would really put me off. Any opinions?

Its considerably better than the N73 imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Can now get the N95 8gb for 129euros. Is this good value considering its being around for nearly 2 years now? Still think its a deadly phone, nothing can compare to it (phones in Irish shops)

DonFred wrote: »
    Can now get the N95 8gb for 129euros. Is this good value considering its being around for nearly 2 years now? Still think its a deadly phone, nothing can compare to it (phones in Irish shops)

Yes its good value, think €99 is the cheapest at the mo. Its still one of the best phones available, and the 8gb isnt 2 years yet, i dont think its even 18 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Def buying it this week!! Be great when travelling what with the decent camera and wifi

Advertisement