Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying VAT on personal items from America

Options
  • 23-01-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

This is probably in the wrong section so Mods I appologize, move if necessary.

Basically my sister is living in America for the next 10months and she has bought a quad over there and wants to send it back to Ireland in the next week or two.

Is she liable to pay VAT? Considering it is her own quad.

Can anyone reccomend me the steps to take to help her or where I could find out for sure?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As far as I know, she will be liable for VRT, since she is importing a vehicle. The folks in the rec/motors/motors section on boards might be better able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

VRT is only when registering the vehicle and this wouldn't be going on the road so don't think there would be any worries of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

she would still have to pay VAT and import duty on it. Does not matter if it is a personal belonging.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

penexpers wrote: »
    she would still have to pay VAT and import duty on it. Does not matter if it is a personal belonging.

Hi, what if somebody was moving from America to Ireland and was bringing all their stuff, cars, furniture etc.. surely they would not be liable for VAT/Duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If she's sending over the quad in the next couple of weeks, but staying in America herself for the next 10 months, then she's not bringing her stuff back home with her, she's just sending a quad here. In which case, she pays VAT and import duty, or rather, the recipient pays them.

If she ships all her stuff back, when she's coming home, then it might be different, but I really don't thing so. Everything you buy in the EU has duty and VAT on it. If you've bought items in the US, and then a year later, bring them into Ireland, then you still pay duty and VAT, you're never exempt, as far as I know. There is a personal allowance, something like 150 euro, but that's all.

If you're bringing a car into Ireland, then you have to have owned in the the foreign country for at least 6 months, and you can't sell it here for 2 years, otherwise you pay VRT. I don't think this exemption would apply to items like furniture and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

VRT is not payable if you have been abroad for more than 12 months and have owned the Vehicle for more than 6 months abroad and are moving permanently to Ireland.
    You are also not allowed to sell the vehicle for 12 months.

details can be found here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

It is similar for personal belongings and the Form 1076 you need covers both.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Surely the cost of shipping a quad bike from the USA to Ireland would be prohibitive?

Advertisement