Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absolute crap music on Irish radio stations.

• 23-01-2009 1:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Dont get me wrong, i absolutely LOVE my music, and i listen to quite a bit of news/current affairs radio too. I really hate "music" that is played on Irish radio, i.e. the radio stations I can pick up on my radio in my car, its the same old sh1te on EVERY station.

We need a decent station. On my radio I can pick up...

RTE1 (Current affairs)
    2FM (Pop Craptastic, same 20 songs on repeat)
    RnaG (****e, ****e, ****e)
    95FM (Pop Craptastic, same 20 songs on repeat)
    Lyric FM (More ****e)
    Today FM (Pop Craptastic, same 20 songs on repeat)
    Beat (Pop Craptastic, same 20 songs on repeat)
    Spin (Pop Craptastic, same 20 songs on repeat)
    Newstalk (Current affairs)
    Wired FM (Studenty U.L. Radio - CRAP

Begs the question really, is there a need for an all rock/metal national station in Ireland, im sick to death of the same old music on every station, hearing the same song 20 times a day. Im aware of stations that exist in Dublin that are dedicated to rock/metal but there is absolutely nothing down here in the sticks except pop, its doing my head in.

So, I drive a lot, im lstening to say 2FM, im getting sick of 2FM's music, sick of hearing Beyonce and Pinks songs over and over and over. My only other choice is to listen to a talk radio station as every station is playing the exact same playlist, im sick of it.

Fair enough if rock/metal isnt your thing, how about a dedicated national dance/trance radio station? Irish radio stations treat us like robots, we do not all like bloody pop music!!

I would have thought there is a niche in the market here for something a little different? Why hasnt anyone done this? Am I missing something?

Your thoughts please?

It took a lot of will power not to mention ray foley in my post, grr...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Only started driving in the last year - it's pretty much CDs or nothing on in the car.

Dublin not in a much better state to be honest. Phantom FM fills in some of the gaps for indie music - it's more professional than it used to be. Not sure if that's a good thing. There was a charm to listening to a heavily hung over dj playing tunes on a Sunday morning when you weren't much better yourself.

In terms of music, 5-10 years ago you could get Jazz FM (which had some jazz on Sunday mornings, but the rest of the time was funk/soul/hip hop/drum'n'bass/electronica) Power FM (which I think was relayed down the east coast and was hip hop/electro/dance) and I think it was called Club FM (house/hardcore other stuff - never listened to it, but it probably had the best production values).

Whatever happened with the temporary licenses around the time Newstalk, Country FM and Spin were getting started there seemed to be a clampdown with pirate stations going off the air - and Phantom and Jazz tried to get a license for some sort of selective interest station. With that Jazz FM started pretty much only playing jazz music, and it went off air quick enough (seemed that way to me anyway). Phantom made a few concessions to being a professionally run station (news on the hour etc.) and lived to tell the tale.

It'd be a good time for a new wave of pirate stations to try grab some listeners though - unless of course I'm missing them on the dial - are there any decent ones out there?

Even a crap pirate station with ropey signal quality is a better listen than hearing The Scipt for the fourth time before lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're in Limerick; get DAB and you have your rock/metal station - RTE 2XM.

ditto dance, RTE Pulse

There is no FM bandwidth for another national service; unfortunately. There's also limited bandwidth for more services in some cities as it is (Dublin due to overcrowding by number of stations, Cork due to overcrowding caused by the number of relays needed to cover Cork's terrain well), dunno how Liemerick fares there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

FearDark wrote: »
    the radio stations I can pick up on my radio in my car, its the same old sh1te on EVERY station.

I agree with you 100%. If I don't like music on a station I change channel.....only to find the same bloody song at nearly the same time, on every other channel. I know I'm exaggerating a bit, bu I have come accross the same music on various stations at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

D its the same old sh1te on EVERY station.

Begs the question really, is there a need for an all rock/metal national station in Ireland, im sick to death of the same old music on every station, hearing the same song 20 times a day.
    Your thoughts please?

I know what you mean, playing the same crap all the time, lucky enough here, we have a decent rock/metal station here in waterford,
    Metalhertz Fm...... they are on at the weekends only, hopefully they will up their schedule to more... ( or better still go national)

if your interested in checking them out, http://www.metalhertzfm.com/
    live stream of radio and schedule of when they are on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dont get me wrong, i absolutely LOVE my music, and i listen to quite a bit of news/current affairs radio too. I really hate "music" that is played on Irish radio, i.e. the radio stations I can pick up on my radio in my car, its the same old sh1te on EVERY station.

We need a decent station. On my radio I can pick up...

Well said Fear Dark, i've been banging on about this for ages ..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I was home over Christmas, and have to agree with everything the OP said. While driving my mother's car, the only CD I found was beginners French, and that was better that the radio.

The only time I heard descent music on the radio was between 0400 and 0600 driving to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I twice heard the same crap U2 song on THREE radio stations at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Radio Na Life on 106.4 & 103.2 Dublin City FM play some decent music alternatives.

Radio na Life has Irish continuity plus a good few talk based (as Gaeilge) programmes while Dublin City FM (which has a 60% 40% talk to music ratio)plays the music after 9 weekdays and from 3.00pm Saturdays.
    The schedule is on www.dublincityfm.ie but Saturdays,for example,has a classic rock show at 3.00pm with Jazzorama fron 5.00pm and Soul Kitchen from 6.00PM Any takers!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Radio Na Life on 106.4 & 103.2 Dublin City FM play some decent music alternatives.

Radio na Life has Irish continuity plus a good few talk based (as Gaeilge) programmes while Dublin City FM (which has a 60% 40% talk to music ratio)plays the music after 9 weekdays and from 3.00pm Saturdays.
    The schedule is on www.dublincityfm.ie but Saturdays,for example,has a classic rock show at 3.00pm with Jazzorama fron 5.00pm and Soul Kitchen from 6.00PM Any takers!!!!

Stunningly good station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

humberklog wrote: »
    Stunningly good station.

my sister used to present a show on that station , albeit for a short period , to say they have a shoe string budget would be to put it mildly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

have to agree, i was living in the UK and because their choice of stations was vast, it was great. The BBC especially are excellent and have a huge choice to suit everyone and without ads, RTE are getting away with it in a big way here.

Today FM can be good though with Ian Dempesy, D'arcy(sometimes though increasingly less), Foley(again, getting less so) and The Last word is on at a perfect time when you get very fatigued by the same songs. Rick O shea is probably the only decent dj left on 2fm sadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Over&Over wrote: »

What are you proving there?

The first show, 12am-2am tues to fri... are you serious?
    The second show on RnaG, well im going to dismiss that straight away, RnaG FFS.
    The third show... a classic Jazz show... riiiiiiight.

And that is your arguement for good music on Irish Radio is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

What are you proving there?

The first show, 12am-2am tues to fri... are you serious?
    The second show on RnaG, well im going to dismiss that straight away, RnaG FFS.
    The third show... a classic Jazz show... riiiiiiight.

And that is your arguement for good music on Irish Radio is it?

Yes, these are that rare thing on Irish national radio: shows that explore musical alternatives which other stations/shows shy away from. Music that isn't just top of the pops or indie boys/girls with guitars. Have a look at their playlists. Open your mind, listen up and don't be so dismissive.

There's also:
    http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/nova

Advertisement