Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright rules in different forums

Options
  • 23-01-2009 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Hi, quick question.

How come forums like any of the TV shows forbids talk of torrent downloads, website streaming etc of said show, while on the soccer forum we can happily exchange streaming websites for football matches?

I never understood the diffference between the two tbh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't post all that much on soccer, I have to admit - the last club game I watched in full was the CL final in 1999. SO I'm not familiar with the streaming sites in question.

Being very simplistic though, parts of the reason torrents are banned on Television are legal reasons (this isn't Sweden and Irish courts might well interpret linking to text files that locate copyright material as illegal), plain policy (decision made that the point of the forum is discussion, not facilitating dodgy downloads) and so on.

I'm assuming that the streaming websites linked to on soccer are legal (obviously RTE streams various games and so on) but there's also the thing that TV companies are far more likely to kick up a stink about shows they've bought the rights to being downloaded, especially before they've been screened here, and hence the makers of the shows are far more stringent about enforcing their copyrights. Compare that to a few clips from matches last Sunday (or, obviously, archived goals from Solskjær in 1999) and it's worth being far more stringent on the TV forum.

That's my theory (without seeing the links on soccer, I'm far more familiar with the telly forum) and that's a personal view so don't take it as policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Thanks for that sceptre. But the soccer links posted every weekend are nowhere near legal. The majority of them are streams of TV channels from foreign countries that do have the rights to the live broadcast, unlike us. Not that I'm complaining or anything :)

It is weird though. Other websites I post to similar to this are the opposite. They have no problem with torrents links and the like but link to some sopcast broadcast showing a PL game on a Saturday afternoon and it'll be deleted in a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I talked with someone about this when we decided to watch a streamed game in the office.

Sopcast and other such devices are not illegal. The copyright issue is down to the IP streaming the signal.

The analogy I received was picking up pirate radio stations.

I think maybe I'll check with Hulla.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Thanks for that GY, guess it makes sense alright.

Streams ftw :pac:

Advertisement