Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addition of Message-Board/Forum

Options
  • 23-01-2009 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a basic informative website currently in operation

7-8 pages text/photo content

I need to add a Members area(going to be limited to a max of about 50)
    -allowing access to a basic message board/forum
    -allowing access to a private ftp directory

How difficult/messy would this be?
    Are there any pre-tailored solutions that I can add to the website in a trouble-free way?

I'd like to keep it under the same domain-name rather than re-direct to a provider.

Advice much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

You could set up an open source software forum (phpbb for example) and simply set the config so that you pre-moderate all signups.

As for the ftp, a simple .htaccess username and password to the ftp section and bobs your uncle

these are the simplest solutions, not ideally how i'd do it, but they would work and won't be too complicated for you to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Cheers for that Mirror.
    That does sound like a good way of starting off.

How difficult would it be for the users to have the same username and password for both the messageboard and the ftp?

This would be important as I want to simplify the look and feel on the front-end. Its not an actual seperate FTP directory that i'm looking for, but rather a page on the site that can display pdfs and word docs for download(no more than 5 or 6 I would say) - Am I by-passing an easier solution?

You wouldn't mind telling me how you might do it, simplicity aside :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

does the downloads page need to be separate from the forum? if everyone that can access the forum needs access to these files then you could simply post a thread with links to download the files? you can set the forum so that nobody can actually view anything until they log in, unlike this site where unregistered users are free to browse around. for example, this site is running in that precise manner: http://cavanfishing.com/cavanfishingforum/

if a thread in the forum doesn't suit, you can create a seperate page and get the person to enter their forum username and password and run a query on the forum database to check that they are a registered member.

Advertisement