Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sell privately?

Options
  • 23-01-2009 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I want to sell my apartment. I'll have to take what I can get, I just can't pay the mortgage any more.

I want to advertise it myself, on daft or somewhere. What do I need to do to sell it myself, without going to an agent? Do I need a solicitor yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

http://www.sellityourself.ie/

is one I've seen about the place. I've never used it though, know very little about it other than its a way to sell your property yourself without an estate agent. Sure post back if you find it good bad, or indifferent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

you will need a solicitor ready with contracts - if you get a sniff you want documents ready to send so that there are no delays.
    Put a sign in your window facing the road
    Put a note in a local paper or evening herald etc...
    Put flyers on local cars and in local apartments in case there is someone looking to move to the area who knows someone locally to you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm trying to sell a property myself and the hardest thing is finding someone to make and put-up the for sale sign!!!

You can buy signs from the youbuyfromme.ie website, but it's a bit unclear as to whether they put them up for you and I think they are just their own generic signs.

Any help would be apprieciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    Put flyers on local cars

I wouldnt recommend this option myself. It gives the impression of being desperate.

OP, most management companies need to be notifed before erecting a For Sale sign. Some dont allow them at all! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

You can advertise on Daft yourself. However, make sure you have a solicitor who is willing to make a few extra phone calls for you. If your sale is anyway messy, you will need to either keep ringing the buyer yourself or their solicitor for updates. Generally the estate agent would handle all the 'they want to know do you want the dishwasher left', type of phone call. Make sure your buyer has the money they say they have, and that they have a solicitor. They will need to lodge their booking deposit with your solicitor and give details of their solicitor to him/her - instead of the estate agent handling this. So tell your solicitor you are handling the sale yourself and see are they open to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Paddyland, I've recently done it and I can't recommend doing a private sale enough. Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would bother paying an estate agent. Unless you are incredibly shy and don't like dealing with people, its quite straight forward. I didn't bother using sellityourself.ie, - i don't really see what they bring to the party, - i don't think their website gets too many hits (nothing compared to daft.ie or myhome.ie), so all your left with really is an overpriced sign.
    My experience is that most buyers are actually very positive about buying from a private seller.

Do the following:
    - Advertize on Daft.ie
    - Take good photos, do it in the morning or during the brightest part of the day.
    - Get a sign done up. I got mine done by signarama, they have outlets throughout the country, - cost=30 euro. Get it done in PVC and allow 2 inches at one side to attach to a stake. Bought a stake and piece of 2x1 to nail over the edge of the sign, piece of cake. I put the short link for daft.ie on the sign so that people could look up the website.
    - Ask them are they mortgage approved before going ahead, - most will probably just lie anyway whether they are or not.
    - Get them to drop the booking deposit ( 2% ) into your solicitor and away you go.
    - Yeah, there'll be a little messing that the auctioneer might do (like is the washing machine included), - you have to do this with the auctioneer anyway, - so doing it directly speeds up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

I'm trying to sell a property myself and the hardest thing is finding someone to make and put-up the for sale sign!!!

You can buy signs from the youbuyfromme.ie website, but it's a bit unclear as to whether they put them up for you and I think they are just their own generic signs.

Use Signarama, - thats what I did, otherwise any of these guys (http://goldenpages.ie/search/sign.html) , - 30 euro for a PVC sign. Down to B+Q for a piece of stake and about 3 feet of 2 inch by 1 inch wood. Place the sign on the stake, and nail the piece of 2 X 1 over it. Buy a Club hammer/Mallet (10 euro ot thereabouts) and hammer it into the ground. Total cost is less than 50 euro and about 20 minutes of light work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 SiDay

If you are going to sell privately a 360 degree virtual tour is a good investment. Have a look at my website www.virtualehome.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Look if you’re desperate to sell it why not work with an Auctioneer to sell it. Ask them to put it on their books but not to spend anything on advertising or signs, most if not all auctioneers work on a No Sale No Fee basis and tell them that you will also be actively looking for a buyer your self if the auctioneer finds the buyer then you’ll have to pay the agreed fee providing the sale goes through but at least you have your house sold but if you find the buyer by your means your not entitled to pay any fee.

Strictly speaking it’s when the auctioneer finds a buyer that’d he is entitled to his fee so don’t let him put a sign up as this could be deemed as introducing a buyer to you. And if the auctioneer introduces a buyer and that then approaches you a couple of months later the auctioneer is still entitled to his fee.

Your fully entitled to sell your own property while a auctioneer also has it on your books as I know one person who had a house with 5 different auctioneers which is very messy (Keys,viewings, etc) but he was desperate to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Any sign or graphic company will make you any sign you want. And putting it up isn't going to be hard. If you've decided to sell the house yourself rather than with an EA, putting up the sign yourself will be the least of your troubles.

Advertisement