Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No chat from Rick?

• 23-01-2009 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi all!

i've noticed since after Rick O'Shea (2fm) has come back after the Christmas break there has been less chat from him. I only get to catch the last hour of his show so i can't be 100% that he doesn't chat for the previous few hours. But for the last hour he plays mostly music (which i know some might like).
    Does anyone know why this is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I've heard rumours that they've all been told to lessen the amount of chat on 2fm. Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Yep that is true according to some blogs - there was a campaign to complain to RTE about it all.
    Here is another blog from Damien on it all.

There are other blogs about it but I have not read anything anywhere else about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

I have heard this (There's a considerable thread over on Radiowaves about it ) and there seems to be two camps. The ones who fear change, and the ones who think that the show has improved since the guff has been cut out of it.

I've listened to the show, and the good thing is that there is now no dependency on lying texts sent from bored eejits affirming how mad they are and what mad things they've done, to fill the show, and as a result, Rick O'Shea has to rely on his personality and the music to entertain.

I dont dislike the chap at all, and this new format is a drastic improvement on relying on moronic members of the public to drive his show with drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

the ones who think that the show has improved since the guff has been cut out of it.

+1

Its no harm to cut the waffle. I always tended to switch over during the seemingly hourly "wacky" american getting interviewed.

Nothing against Rick himself, hes a pretty good presenter as a whole, but the weird n' wacky factor was rightly reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

robo wrote: »
    Yep that is true according to some blogs - there was a campaign to complain to RTE about it all.
    Here is another blog from Damien on it all.

There are other blogs about it but I have not read anything anywhere else about it.

Might tune it back in to my list of stations now. Currently only have Today fm and Phantom. The rest are rubbish imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

if only rick would stop speaking altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

irish_bob wrote: »
    if only rick would stop speaking altogether

So its not just me who's allergic to his voice! Maybe if he took the mic out of his mouth it would help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I always assumed the chit-chat nonsense was ramped up as its cheaper to talk than play music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

mike65 wrote: »
    I always assumed the chit-chat nonsense was ramped up as its cheaper to talk than play music.
    Probably, but "RTE inflated ego syndrome" means they end up talking down to the little people after a while. Gerry Ryan is the prime example, but unfortunately the havent taken their axe to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Haven't Colm and JimJim read the memo, because its perpetual drivel as normal on breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Haven't Colm and JimJim read the memo, because its perpetual drivel as normal on breakfast.

The alleged memo referred to the talk content of the afternoon shows only. (the ones hosted by Mr Rick O'Shea and Ms Nikkihayes dottooeffemm-dotbebodotcom)

Apparently, the survey which provided the information didnt have a "What do you think about the show with the two eejits telling christmas cracker jokes, doing shíte impersonations and generally droning on through their holes for three hours in the morning? Funny isn't it? Y/N " question, so 2fm management are unaware that there is a problem at that hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Shame.Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

2fivers wrote: »
    I've listened to the show, and the good thing is that there is now no dependency on lying texts sent from bored eejits affirming how mad they are and what mad things they've done, to fill the show, and as a result, Rick O'Shea has to rely on his personality and the music to entertain.

Couldn't agree more. I just might give his show a second chance, now that those ridiculous texts have been binned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

yes its true. I read it n the Herald that both Nikki and Rick were told to "shut it" and play more music. Didn't care bout it really on Nikki's show but It makes Rick's show more easy to listen too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Didn't care bout it really on Nikki's show

+1

She totally unprepared some days. and her music is to wide reaching. Going from the National Express to the latest dance track. Its about time they pulled back the chatter after GR. If only they got some Irish sounding jingles it would make the station Idents sound far better.

Gotta say have been listening to the unamed and Fenton when the opportunity arises.

Advertisement