Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

x64 program installing

• 23-01-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I got a new laptop recently running Windows Vista x64 3gig ram. I have been doing some reading up on it so i have a basic handle of what this entails.

I was wondering when im installing a program (say for example DVD Shrink) should in install it in the "Program Files x64" folder or the normal "Program Files" folder. As i said this is new to me and im not sure does it even make a difference which folder i choose and if not why have two folders.

Once again i stress my none tech headiness so bare with me if i have mades some newbi mistakes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Surely it should automatically install itself to the correct location?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭The_Seal

Everything i have installed has been installed in to Program Files(x64) even some fairly old programs well older than vista anyway. Winamp for example. Im wondering if installing them in this folder is hindering performance or gonna make the programs operate funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I think 64 bit compatible programs get installed in Program Files (x64) and 32 bit programs get installed in Program Files. Either way it doesn't matter a monkeys what folder they are put it, they still function the same way. 32 bit programs run fine on 64 bit O/S but not the other way around. 64 bit FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Depends on the program you're installing as far as I know, some programs default to c:\program files\xxxxx, and some will pick up the location of the program files folder from the registry.

It doesn't make an ounce of difference where they install, so unless you want to install them on another drive just stick with whatever it chooses as default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

It will install itself into the correct location. Do not worry about it.
    As far as I know, the example given DVDshrink does not come in x64 edition so this isn't a problem.

x86 stuff will be installed to program files and x64 to program files (x64)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tman should be right: programs would not have to be in a particular folder in order to be recognised as x86 (32 bit) or x64. That detail is part of the program itself: when it runs it tells the system what kind it is. You could install all your programs in the pinkfluffybunny folder and I dont think it would matter - the only reason there seems to be 2 seperate folders is for your benefit, so you know which programs are taking advantage of 64 bit processing, and which arent.

I'm afraid you have it wrong. The two folders are Program Files and Program Files (x86). 32-bit apps get installed to the Program Files (x86) folder and 64-bit apps to the Program Files folder. But as Overheal says, it doesn't matter where they go. Some programs such as iTunes use both folders, putting the main (32-bit) app in the x86 folder while putting a 64-bit shell extension in the 64-bit folder.

Advertisement