Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time the irish went home

Options
  • 23-01-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

the title is there to get attention and to take a dig at this thread

anyways to get onto topic, 50000 illegal (unlike the recent migrants here who are legal) Irish in US (a country thats not in the EU unlike Poland...), holy cow, i hope they don't get deported here at the same time

Friday January 23 2009
    PRESIDENT Obama must bring forward initiatives to help to legalise the undocumented and illegal Irish in America. We know that there may be as many as 50,000 undocumented and illegal Irish people living in America at present.
    Many of these people have lived in America for a long number of years.

The illegal and undocumented Irish cannot leave America to visit sick parents or family members in Ireland, they cannot come home to Ireland for weddings, funerals or family occasions.

Many Irish grandparents have never met their grandchildren. The illegal Irish in America cannot even obtain a driving licence because they cannot produce a social security number.

I know of a personal case of an Irishman who has been living on the east coast of America for the past 15 years. He is working as a painter, he is married and he has three young children. He lives in fear that he will be deported. This is an unacceptable situation.

We are now all living in changed circumstances. With the very difficult economic times in Ireland, we are going to have to address this political issue of the undocumented Irish in America with a renewed spirit of determination and purpose. Irish people have been helped before in America via the Donnelly and Morrison laws.

But we need the political assistance of President Obama now, more than ever.

Sean O Neachtain MEP
    AN Spideal, County Galway

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/illegal-irish-need-obamarsquos-help-1611806.html

btw I want to thank Sean for writing letters for to the Independent regularly, i remember when he was a teacher in local school and was friends with his son, nice to know there are some politicians left that care for their constituents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Am I missing a link here or wha ?
    The illegal and undocumented Irish cannot leave America to visit sick parents or family members in Ireland, they cannot come home to Ireland for weddings, funerals or family occasions.

Does Mr O Neachtain feature on Nob Nation or is he winding us up..?

If he`s experiencing a bit of a fall off in his EU work I`m sure there are other areas and people far more entitled to the representations of a MEP than those who made a conscious decision to be "Illegal and undocumented".

At this rate of going Mr O Neachtain may well be lining himself up for a place on the Asylum Application gravytrain.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i always find it strange that countrys like the US have very keen laws on immigrants-when you consider [except for the native american] all are from immigrant stock-many years ago a friend of mine married a american girl and decided to take out US nationality first he had to go to school to learn and take a oath of allegiance-fair enough-but part of his course was to be able to speak english, now this lad was english and had a degree in english from manchester university -i remember him telling me of the teachers telling him that the word colour dident have a u in it .well thats the yanks for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sure getz,America IS a strange place with ahuge variety of even stranger folk rambling around within it.

However it must surely rank as one of the FEW countries on the planet with a very clear and well documented POLICY on who it admits into the place.

Sure it may offend many sensitive souls,sure it has made some odd choices BUT the world and its granny KNOW that these requirements are there to be met and it`s up to them to either pee or get off the pot in their attempts to enter and remain in the USA.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I thought the illegal and undocumented irish could come home any time they like, in fact surely all they have to do is walk into the nearest police station and tell them they are an illegal immigrant and they would be home quick as a flash, for free.

What he means is that they can't return to ireland (The country they chose to give up and yet for some reason still think they can get the services of an Irish politician) and return to their cushy tax free illegal lifestyle in the US.

Imagine if there was a politician in Nigeria calling for all illegal nigerians in Ireland to be given irish citizenship, Boards.ie would be bursting with threads calling for them all to be thrown out, along with anyone else with slightly darker than snow skin.

Jesus, I am actually embarrassed for the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

I thought the illegal and undocumented irish could come home any time they like, in fact surely all they have to do is walk into the nearest police station and tell them they are an illegal immigrant and they would be home quick as a flash, for free.

What he means is that they can't return to ireland (The country they chose to give up and yet for some reason still think they can get the services of an Irish politician) and return to their cushy tax free illegal lifestyle in the US.

Imagine if there was a politician in Nigeria calling for all illegal nigerians in Ireland to be given irish citizenship, Boards.ie would be bursting with threads calling for them all to be thrown out, along with anyone else with slightly darker than snow skin.

Jesus, I am actually embarrassed for the guy.

the Nigerian analogy is interesting, insightful comments like this keeps me coming back to boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ionix5891 wrote: »
    the Nigerian analogy is interesting, insightful comments like this keeps me coming back to boards

I have no problems win Irish politician supporting Irish ex-pats, but this is supporting Irish people abroad who are breaking the law of that country.

I agree with you, its possibly a waste of our politicians energy

but yea i started this thread as a counterbalance to the previous load of bullocks we were hearing about the polish etc being here

funny how none of the suspects from that thread commented on this as this letter doesn't paint us in good light with double standards and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I actually think the Irish SHOULD be given preferential treatment to be honest.

Look at the history of the Irish in America, sure we more or less built the bloody place!.

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »

Look at the history of the Irish in America, sure we more or less built the bloody place!.

everyone remember to quote the above comment every time a racist thread on immigration pops its head around here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

english is english and there is not a language called american even in the study of english in the USA it is still spelt with a u

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I am in the same position as Donegalfella, I was here on a J1 and met my wife in the US. We went through 9 months of being in a different country 5000 miles apart and at some large expense we got my greencard! So I would be pissed if they just allow any Irish here, automatic greencards, as i had to jump through hoops to get into the US. I feel for them however, it must be difficult. But if they went the right way about it, yes its hard but at least they have all the same rights as a citizen.

And I know the "Irish built America" but no more than every other country in the world! We just happen to know about the Irish in the US as that is who we are. And right now it the Mexicans that are building the country, so if you ask me they should be getting the preferred treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

All illegally immigrants should be deported INCLUDING THE IRISH.

I think you will find in my experience most Irish people will agree with my statement, the last time this was raised as when Bertie Ahern was in the States in May, That guy who runs the Irish paper was also on supporting the issuing of green cards for Irish citizens who are breaking the law in a another country, we were listing to it at work and all the Irish lads felt they should be deported as one said

Any body that went to America post 1994, when there were jobs in Ireland, appear on prime time with their face blackened out crying because they can’t get home to visit sick/dying relations. Hello you knew the risks before you went, you still went so tough **** throw them out is what I say

Some of the Irish I meet in the states have a different outlook certainly a generation thing SOME who went in the 70 & 80 have a different outlook more chancier characteristics and think Ireland is populated with small green men, post 90’s Irish are more educated, usually legal, more open minded, think Ireland is great but not perfect

Btw getting deported in the states is not a matter of been put on a plane a couple of hours after you are arrested, you may be in detention for a couple of weeks/months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Actually, that's a complete myth. If any immigrant group has been overwhelmingly influential in the rise of the USA, it's probably the Germans.

Actually, that's a complete myth. If any immigrant group has been overwhelmingly influential in the rise of the USA, it's probably the Germans.

true and they played large part in putting Americans on the moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I agree with the sentiment that the Irish illegals should be deported. it fits in with my ideology that States should control borders more empatically.

On the other hand quite a few posters on here who dont seem to think that Ireland should have border control at all are arguing in favour too - no sense to that.
    true and they played large part in putting Americans on the moon

Ah, different Germans. The Germans who emigrated to the US in the 19th C. were often pacfists escaping an over-militaristic State.

asdasd wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment that the Irish illegals should be deported. it fits in with my ideology that States should control borders more empatically.
    I note a district lack of comment here from the normal proponents of the "send them back where they came from" brigade.

There was a chap in a thread, a last month, who called on the formation of a new political party that would put Irish first, over immigrants. Simultaneously, he posted on another thread that he was moving to Oz in January as he'd heard there was plenty of work in the factories there.

I leave you to arrive at your own conclusions as to the moral integrity of such people.
    Ah, different Germans. The Germans who emigrated to the US in the 19th C. were often pacfists escaping an over-militaristic State.
    Actually the vast bulk of German migration to the USA occurred before the unification of Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

myth:confused:

the germans are the heartland of america but to claim that the irish building america is a 'myth' is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Actually the vast bulk of German migration to the USA occurred before the unification of Germany.

Which isnt what I said. Depends on how you read State. Prussia was a State.

the germans are the heartland of america but to claim that the irish building america is a 'myth' is madness.
    To claim that the Irish built America is to claim that Irish-Americans were the single more important ethnic group in it's formation. They weren't, the German-Americans were.

Even at that, no single group 'built' America.
    Which isnt what I said. Depends on how you read State. Prussia was a State.
    Prussians and Germans are not quite the same thing though, and we were talking about the latter.

Try confusing a Bavarian with a Prussian and see where that gets you...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

On the other hand quite a few posters on here who dont seem to think that Ireland should have border control at all are arguing in favour too - no sense to that.

No border controls at all?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

To claim that the Irish built America is to claim that Irish-Americans were the single more important ethnic group in it's formation. They weren't, the German-Americans were.

Even at that, no single group 'built' America.

Corinthian I think you are picking Pepsi and myself up wrong here, when we say built we actually mean built as in physically built with cement, bricks and mortar!.

I wasn't talking about the formation of the US as a nation...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

So did the Chinese and the Mexicans and the Germans and the Dutch.

From our point of view, (that is the American one) you were just one group of many.

From your point of view, of course you guys feel you're important. Honestly, I don't really think you are.

Once you move away from Chicago and Boston and New York, Irish-american-mania dwindles rapidly. German-American and Dutch-American are arguably far more important in the West of America.

Quite frankly, I expect the Irish to get EXACTLY the same treatment as every other illegal immigrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

From your point of view, of course you guys feel you're important. Honestly, I don't really think you are.

no no of course we are not. that is why 45 milliom claim to be of irish descent when clearly clearly that doesnt even add up. how can a few million result in 45 million, while massive amount of germans immigration and only have about 5 million more people claiming to be of german ancestry as of the 2000 census.

GuanYin wrote: »
    From our point of view, (that is the American one) you were just one group of many.

Do you know the point of view of every Americian?.

Are you sure that the 12% of the American population which are of Irish decent would agree with you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

More Irish clap trap! The Irish built America, nationalisation of Anglo is good and the country isn't bankrput because of it and that old chestnut the 'illegal Irish'.....

The illegal Irish are just that, illegal. Whether or not the US deports them or lets them stay is nothing to do with us ultimatley. Its not our country, we as a people have absolutely no god given right to get in for a holiday, J1 or to live no matter what people say.

Its a sad state of affairs when an MEP is spending his time talking (and looking for a free trip to the US too I'd say) about paddys in the US breaking the law and not doing whatever he's supposted to be doing in the EU.

But when it comes down to it the reason, I believe, that the Govt are interested in this is because of the total fear and terror they are in that there could be 50,000 more unemployed landing over here - the vast majority, if not all, of them are low educated/skilled, the type of jobs that nolonger exist in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Do you know the point of view of every Americian?.

Are you sure that the 12% of the American population which are of Irish decent would agree with you?.

Yeah actually, because first and foremost, these people are americans. I have quite alot of Irish immigrant friends and irish-american friends and they differ quite strongly on immigration issues. It comes up quite often oddly.

Of the 36 million Irish americans (and that is unverified self-declared I might add) about 5% are entitled to apply for Irish citizenship. Probably around the same amount that have been to Ireland or even hold a passport.

Now I don't live in Chicago anymore and I'll admit, the attitude towards Irish people is more romantic there and there are far more Irish. But where I am now, in the west, noone cares nearly as much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement