Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion: iphone sub-forum or FAQ thread

• 23-01-2009 11:30am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently we've seen a plethora of threads about the iphone, all asking broadly similar questions. We have two huge threads, with a lot of the relevant information in there, but people won't (or possibly decide not to) search these threads for the answers they seek.

I suggest we should have a sub-forum for the iphone, or at least a stickied FAQ answering the usual questions:

* Can I buy an iphone in the States?
    * Will the iphone I bought in the UK/Australia/Mars work here?
    * How do I jailbreak/unlock?
    * Is it true Apple will set my house on fire if they discover I once thought about jailbreaking my phone?

and so on.

I'd prefer a sub-forum, but that may not be technically possible, or permitted.

What do people think? Mods?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

afaik it's already been suggested a number of times. i'd be in favour of it just so i don't have to look at all these jesus phone threads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think it's a good idea.

Though not so sure the mods are as enamoured with the iPhone as we are. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea.

Though not so sure the mods are as enamoured with the iPhone as we are. :o
    Get one of the Apple mods in on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I have actually written an iphone FAQ, finished it about a week ago. I was getting sick of seeing the same questions over and over.

I have not yet posted it but will, and when I do, if anyone thinks I have missed anything please tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

This has been suggested a lot in the iPhone threads and in the forums, um, forum. It generally gets talked down. People think the iPhone hype will die off, but no, every time there is another firmware update we'll get someone starting a thread with a user name like 'hlp_Iphone_lol" as their first post, saying they borked their recently purchased unlocked/jailbroken iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

There was a thread about this on forums and the mods didnt feel it is needed (and after that thread i can see the validity of these claims) so I kind of agree it is a phone and will eventually die down so until then lets keep it part of mobiles forum and even if a sub forum was created this forum would still be full of iphone threads by people newly joined, looking for help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

noblestee wrote: »
    This has been suggested a lot in the iPhone threads and in the forums, um, forum. It generally gets talked down. People think the iPhone hype will die off, but no, every time there is another firmware update we'll get someone starting a thread with a user name like 'hlp_Iphone_lol" as their first post, saying they borked their recently purchased unlocked/jailbroken iPhone.

I can (sort of) see the logic behind not having a sub-forum.

The FAQ is necessary though, if only to have somewhere to point all the usual queries to. Note that I'm not talking about unusual ones or new ones, such as the guy asking for advice on a car connection. These are legitimate questions. It's the "I pressed the upgrade button in iTunes and now my iphone won't play my Nolan Sisters collection" that need to be addressed via FAQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Perhaps somebody could create an FAQ over on wiki.boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Perhaps somebody could create an FAQ over on wiki.boards.ie?

Godskitchen said he was in the processof creating one, so perhaps wait until thats done and then like everything else on boards can be updated as needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I'd add how to customize ringtones to that FAQ. That question comes up a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Lads

Threads
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055196261
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055225568
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055272023

Forum
    - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

While I do think an iPhone subforum would be a good idea those threads and that forum are a better place to talk about it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have actually written an iphone FAQ, finished it about a week ago. I was getting sick of seeing the same questions over and over.

I have not yet posted it but will, and when I do, if anyone thinks I have missed anything please tell me.
    If you want to post it in a thread then I will link to it from one of the stickys. I'm sure it would be useful :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement