Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact Listings format

Options
  • 23-01-2009 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all

This is my first time to try to do this. I have my database finished and ready.
    What i want to do is list name, surname, phone and address as one listing and then have another listing with more information like their business name or and mobile number etc.

I need to have the full information listing come up first followed be the smaller listing.

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Protype wrote: »
    Hi all

This is my first time to try to do this. I have my database finished and ready.
    What i want to do is list name, surname, phone and address as one listing and then have another listing with more information like their business name or and mobile number etc.

I need to have the full information listing come up first followed be the smaller listing.

Please help

Need more info if we are to help! Is this a website project or application project?

What type of setup are you planning on using? By this I mean languages and technologies you have available for this project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Protype

John_Mc wrote: »
    Need more info if we are to help! Is this a website project or application project?

What type of setup are you planning on using? By this I mean languages and technologies you have available for this project

Its for a directory search result page, so the user searches for a contact in a county and gets all contacts in that county where some contacts have more information than others. This is why i need 2 types of listings to show in one result page

I am using:
    MySQL
    php

Ill try to ask the question in a better fashion.

Should i create 1 results page?
    Do i have the 2 listing types in his page?
    Do i have 2 different listing files and the results page?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is a web-app, right?

What about a results page with the basic details and then a link with a pop-up or floating div that shows more details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

additionally, is it the layout that you're having a problem with, or the database query, or handling the retrieved data?

• Advertisement

Mirror wrote: »
    additionally, is it the layout that you're having a problem with, or the database query, or handling the retrieved data?

I would say layout or how to layout the page so that 2 different listings can show at the same time

I would say layout or how to layout the page so that 2 different listings can show at the same time
    well I would think the simplest option would be two have to pages, the first displaying the list of contacts with their basic information, and a link for each to click through to a second page that displays the full details for the selected contact.

Lets say i have two different categories of listing that i would sort in the sql.
    so i need cat1 to come up at the top of the page and cat2 listings come up after all cat1 listings.

Do i design a page with two listing or do i create a file with the code for each listing type.

what i am doing is creating the page from a template, and then adding the cat types to the page is this the right thing to do?

i am lost

i'm a bit lost as well :) why don't you post what you've got so far, or if you don't have much why don't you just do a short example layout of what you're trying to achieve with some static html and dummy text?

i'm a bit lost as well :) why don't you post what you've got so far, or if you don't have much why don't you just do a short example layout of what you're trying to achieve with some static html and dummy text?

LOL

I have never put together a results page before, so i don't really know how it should be assembled.

I have a two tables with a graphic in the background, i want these tables to display with the information retrieved from the MySQL database.
    So the problem is i have two tables which hold different amounts of information and i need to have both tables in one results page.

Simple question is, How do i do this?:o

P.S. Please don't forget the two tables have information about different people.

• Advertisement

LOL

I have never put together a results page before, so i don't really know how it should be assembled.

I have a two tables with a graphic in the background, i want these tables to display with the information retrieved from the MySQL database.
    So the problem is i have two tables which hold different amounts of information and i need to have both tables in one results page.

Simple question is, How do i do this?:o

P.S. Please don't forget the two tables have information about different people.
    ok, i recommend you follow this tutorial first: http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_select.asp

see how far you get based off that, and let me know if you get stuck!

ok, i recommend you follow this tutorial first: http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_select.asp

see how far you get based off that, and let me know if you get stuck!

<?php // this is what i was not doing. DOW
    $con = mysql_connect("localhost","peter","abc123");
    if (!$con)
    {
    die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
    }

mysql_select_db("my_db", $con);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM Persons");

echo "<table border='1'>
    <
    tr>
    <th>Firstname</th>
    <th>Lastname</th>
    </tr>";
    while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
    {
    echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td>" . $row . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row . "</td>";
    echo "</tr>";
    }
    echo "</table>";
    mysql_close($con);
    ?> // Putting the table inside the php tags:D:D:D

:D

a valuable lesson has been learned here today! 90% of unexpected errors are caused by something INCREDIBLY simple we've overlooked! everyone suffers this from time to time, regardless of how much experience we've got ;)

Advertisement