Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Client Beta - GeoLocator

Options
  • 23-01-2009 11:40am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, a new Steam client was released recently. The details on the beta client can be found here. The beta includes a new GeoLocator that will attempt to locate the users whereabouts for faster downloads and the like.

I am currently running the beta, and it is locating me in the United Kingdom. I just need to see if other Irish Steam users are experiencing the same problem. So if you are in the beta, post your results!

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What ISP are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

Its locating me in the UK as well, I'm on three "broadband". I guess its because were in the UK's server reach/range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Stephen wrote: »
    What ISP are you on?

BT Broadband.
    MjM wrote: »
    Its locating me in the UK as well, I'm on three "broadband". I guess its because were in the UK's server reach/range.

Indeed - the thing is, Ireland has two dedicated content servers that are actually located in Ireland. It should be assigning us to those servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I'm reading UK too at the moment. Huh, if that's the case Valve, give me access to the bloody UK store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Download region UK ... I am on Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Germany! - I'm on O2 3G in east Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DRM IN DISGUISE!!!

Just another thing to make it harder to buy software outside of the Eurozone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm not surprised at anyone on 3 showing up as being in the UK, they use some mental IP address sharing system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Stephen wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at anyone on 3 showing up as being in the UK, they use some mental IP address sharing system.

Hehe, thats what Eamon Ryan has in store for all those gamers in remote parts of IRL who can't avail of broadband........... Good luck updating your steam account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Keep the reports rolling in guys, Valve are looking into it.:)
    Hi Everyone,

Let's see, lots of good info here. I'm renaming some of the cells to be more clear (eg, Sweden -> Scandanavia, San Jose -> California).

The kind of wacky thing about such a "map" is that it's based on the Internet topology, not the Political topology. For cases where you are in, say, Denmark but Steam has picked the "Germany" region, all I can say is that it must be because you have a better (quicker) connection to a server in Germany than to the one in Copenhagen. There have been times when some of us here at Valve have had better connections from our home computers to servers in California than to the ones in Seattle, because of the way our ISP's networks were set up.

Meanwhile. . .addressing some individual concerns:

{Yotsuba} - I think maybe the problem is that we don't have all of the content on the servers in Tokyo, because their disks are nearly full. That is something we will hopefully be addressing soon. Currently, Steam users in Japan are only getting about 60% of their downloads from the Tokyo servers.

>X< - The region picked by your client means that is the first place it looks for content.

Sierra Oscar - Yeah, the "UK" cell is actually the UK + Ireland. I'll rename that one. :)

cryptodan - likewise, the New York cell is actually the whole area from DC up to Boston or so (I'll be renaming this cell).

elrazor - Hmm, we do have one server in Israel, and it is not IP-filtered, so I'm not sure how you ended up in the UK.

Sir_Parkinglot & Bill Gaitas - I think something like A/V software is interfering with Steam on your computers.

coth - What we are calling the "Russia - Western" cell is based in Moscow; the "Russia - Central" servers are in Ekaterinburg and Novosibirsk. So I think, since you are in Moscow, that it has picked the correct cell for you.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8961425&postcount=97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Most Americans really do think Ireland is part of the UK anyway, having coders from the most geographic-knowledge challenged country in the world program a Geo Locator is not a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But is there any servers in Ireland anyway?

I would of thought both UK & Ireland could easily be served from data centres in one country.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    But is there any servers in Ireland anyway?

I would of thought both UK & Ireland could easily be served from data centres in one country.

Yes, there are two dedicated content servers for Irish Steam users - we are lucky to have two for such a small userbase . . .

You can view a list of all Steam Content Servers here.

Valve #125 & #126 are located in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ROFL harris, being located in the UK too, BT broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

eh, where does it show your region (sry if this is really obvious).

grizzly wrote: »
    eh, where does it show your region (sry if this is really obvious).

Go to Steam>File>Settings>Downloads

Advertisement