Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Car Radio

• 23-01-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

***Yes I have looked at the iPhone threads and they seem to deal with more "setting up" queries rather than issues like the following. So Chillax..

I'm looking at new radios. My current one has a USB connection and will only work with iPods. What are the best options out there?
    Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's not clear what you are asking.

Do you want to play the iPhone music through the car stereo? If so, one option is the Griffin iTrip. No need to change your car stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. I am buying a new radio anyway, the one I have at the moment came in the car, think it's a Lidl one. Basically doesn't save radio stations.

I does have a USB connection however this is not compatible with iPhone.

I heard a few say that the best option would be to buy a radio with an AUX input and then buy a lead to connect with headphone jack.

Any other options?

I heard a few say that the best option would be to buy a radio with an AUX input and then buy a lead to connect with headphone jack.

That sounds like the best option all right, it means you can connect anything with a headphone socket to your car stereo, not just your iPhone.

Still, I can't fault the iTrip since I got it at Christmas.

Thanks. Any idea will it still charge the iphone, even though it is being connected through headphone jack???

Thanks. Any idea will it still charge the iphone, even though it is being connected through headphone jack???

Yes, the part that actually connects to the cigarette lighter has a USB port. So you have a wire going into the headphone socket at the top, and a wire going in the bottom charging it.

It is a bit messy, but it works.

• Advertisement

Sorry I kind of lost you there. Are you talking about getting 2 leads?

Sorry I kind of lost you there. Are you talking about getting 2 leads?

Here's the Griffin iTrip:
    12445_1208793217.jpg

One end goes into the cigarette lighter, one end goes into the iPhone. (I'm sure you can work out which is which :))

Look at the end that goes into the cigarette lighter - it has a USB port.

So you take this lead:

21ap84MFJ4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And plug one end into the iTrip USB port, the other into your iPhone.

So yes, it is two cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

and the reason why your radio is not holding the stations in the memory is cause it has been wired up wrong the radio need a permanent 12v feed. and as for your iPhone why spend all that money on a iPhone you wont get a proper car kit for the iPhone have a look on the net, this is just one site so you can get some ideas,
    http://www.iphoniacs.com/iphone-car-kit.htm
    well worth look on ebay too.
    hope this helps you good luck
    mossie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd say Mossie is right about the holding stations. Your stereo is only hooked up to the swtiched 12V power that comes on with the key. There should be another permanent supply that has come loose, or is not connected at all.

Re stereos, I have a similar model to this one, that works great with iPhone bluetooth, and also has a mini jack connection which is undoubtedly the simplest and most effective way to connect your sounds.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One problem I've found with the iTrip sort of devices, when driving between around the country, it can suffer from interference from different radio stations as you pass through different counties.

So a radio frequency that works in Cork, won't work in Dublin and vice versa and in between.

Can anyone suggest a frequency that isn't used anywhere in Ireland, or alternatively a site listing all radio station frequencies in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Dades wrote: »
    I'd say Mossie is right about the holding stations. Your stereo is only hooked up to the swtiched 12V power that comes on with the key. There should be another permanent supply that has come loose, or is not connected at all.

Re stereos, I have a similar model to this one, that works great with iPhone bluetooth, and also has a mini jack connection which is undoubtedly the simplest and most effective way to connect your sounds.
    Dades do you connect your iPhone to this over Bluetooth or a cable? I didn't think the iPhone supported music streaming over Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭granturismo

bk wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a frequency that isn't used anywhere in Ireland, ?

107.9 works perfectly on a kensington for me but my Griggin Road Trip is prone to interference varying from very slight to annoying when driving through towns or even small villages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Dades do you connect your iPhone to this over Bluetooth or a cable? I didn't think the iPhone supported music streaming over Bluetooth.
    Bluetooth is for calls only. Music is via a basic, double-ended mini-jack cable something like this:

Cable2.jpg

Advertisement