Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotch Hall Extention

Options
  • 23-01-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a clue about what's happening with the Scotch Hall extention? Living in Scotch Hall myself, balcony overlooking the construction wharf and all activity has stopped since mid December! At first I thought it was maybe because of the cold or something, but nothing has or is happening ever since!

Has anyone heard anything about when completion is due? Or maybe money ran out...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

Not sure tbh!!
    I think there was something about an archeological find on the site and they had to get all that dug and checked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Archealogical find? No way :)

Well, I'll keep looking down from the balcony and check if anything changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Was there not chat that Scotch Hall was losing a fortune? And that Dunnes and a few other stores were leaving?

Um I just realised (rather later) that they have alreay built the second floor, so the entire "ground" is already built up... So I sincerely doubt there is any archealogical find in all fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

:(They did find skeletal remains last year and that held them up but I think the place is on hold.The town is becoming like a ghost town with a lot of businesses closing down lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The same thing is happening all over the country. Sites are just being abandoned. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There was an initial hold-up due to remains being found, but that was a while back. In the meantime it appears to be on hold due to financial/cost reasons etc.

tbh Gerry Barrett, the man behind Scotch Hall, fcked up in the first place by postponing the cinema addition until the second phase. The net result is that retailers want out of the centre due to lack of footfall. If he hadn't have been so greedy in the first place and given the people what they wanted, then maybe a cinema would have created a reason for more people to go to SH, therefore its possible he wouldn't be in the current predicament that exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

delly wrote: »
    There was an initial hold-up due to remains being found, but that was a while back. In the meantime it appears to be on hold due to financial/cost reasons etc.

tbh Gerry Barrett, the man behind Scotch Hall, fcked up in the first place by postponing the cinema addition until the second phase. The net result is that retailers want out of the centre due to lack of footfall. If he hadn't have been so greedy in the first place and given the people what they wanted, then maybe a cinema would have created a reason for more people to go to SH, therefore its possible he wouldn't be in the current predicament that exists.

I wish we could have had the cinema too but to be fair I can't see that the addition of the cinema would generate much footfall for retail. The current predicament is simply due to the financial crisis that the country is in and not any mistakes made by the developer. If you think he made mistakes look at the Laurences centre,

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

sNarah, I also live in Scotch Hall. Had a major problem with those builders using sweeping machines a couple of months ago. They were making noise throughout the morning, I couldn't get any sleep!

Anyway, that was the last I saw of the building there, I heard they're putting it on hold for 3 years due to the recession. So now we're left with a great view of a building site! Woo hoo!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    I wish we could have had the cinema too but to be fair I can't see that the addition of the cinema would generate much footfall for retail. The current predicament is simply due to the financial crisis that the country is in and not any mistakes made by the developer. If you think he made mistakes look at the Laurences centre,
    Well as an example I know a number of retailers in the Pavilions, Swords who say that the cinema has made a big difference in evening trade, which is quite noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I was so looking forwards to a better cinema complex in the twon - the other is crap and an over priced dump the rest of the time. We actually prefer to go to Dublin rather than attend Drogheda.
    What was the plank Gerry Barrett thinking when he postponed the cinema until the second half? Now we might never see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

It's finance issues, GB banks with Anglo, enough said ! But, he has many strings to his bow, and given the viability of the project, and Cinema is recession proof, my money says it will happen in due course.

The weird thing is though (just noticed today because I'm peeping out of the window a bit more now that my curiousity is activated):

Despite no activity whatsoever, the crane has been moving! :D (I suppose it should be "windproof"?)

Yesterday it was pointing at 2PM, today it's pointing at 10AM (view from my balcony that is...)

That's so strange...!

Porkpie wrote: »
    sNarah, I also live in Scotch Hall. Had a major problem with those builders using sweeping machines a couple of months ago. They were making noise throughout the morning, I couldn't get any sleep!

Anyway, that was the last I saw of the building there, I heard they're putting it on hold for 3 years due to the recession. So now we're left with a great view of a building site! Woo hoo!

I know, the noise was horrible, and back in 'those' days (december) they were even working on saturday mornings, me and the boyfriend were thinking then "jeez, they must be in a hurry to get this building up", couldn't be more wrong hehe...

Well, for now I'm not too bothered coz I'm up on the 4th floor so still a nice view here (that is if you don't look down hahaha :))

***I must have seen you around then???***

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

sNarah wrote: »
    Well, for now I'm not too bothered coz I'm up on the 4th floor so still a nice view here (that is if you don't look down hahaha :))

***I must have seen you around then???***

I'm on the 5th floor :p The only one living on that floor - King of the castle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I hope they get it started again if only for the cinema sake.
    The ground rent for the place though must be huge weekly for the shops in Scotch Hall already and they are struggling to cope already!
    It does not bode well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

sNarah wrote: »
    The weird thing is though (just noticed today because I'm peeping out of the window a bit more now that my curiousity is activated):

Despite no activity whatsoever, the crane has been moving! :D (I suppose it should be "windproof"?)

Yesterday it was pointing at 2PM, today it's pointing at 10AM (view from my balcony that is...)

That's so strange...!

When the crane guy leaves for the night (or 3 years :D ) the crane is left in a sort of "neutral" gear so it can swing with the wind. Not sure if it's completely free to do what the wind tells it but it's definitely influenced by the wind when it's not been operated. So you'll be pleased to know it's not the spirits of the remains they found under there!!! :D

cargo wrote: »
    When the crane guy leaves for the night (or 3 years :D ) the crane is left in a sort of "neutral" gear so it can swing with the wind. Not sure if it's completely free to do what the wind tells it but it's definitely influenced by the wind when it's not been operated. So you'll be pleased to know it's not the spirits of the remains they found under there!!! :D

Aha that's a relief, so no ghosts, thank god! :cool:

It's a pity about the cinema indeed... Looking at the reactions lately over the current complex, this city could certainly need a new & improved one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭positron

I agree with above posters, I am not too enthusiastic about going into the old cinema complex, as everything is a bit .. suspicious looking over there. The new seats since the refurb is pretty comfy though. I was looking forward to the one opening near Scotch Hall.

With all the talk of.. err, I won't mention, I guess I will start buying more microwaveable popcorn...! :)

Advertisement