Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerns about new neighbours

Options
  • 23-01-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi ,
    i live in five oaks in drogheda and am concerned to see that one of the houses near the road that i live on has been rented out to a family from the traveller community.
    does anyone have any simular experiences? Whilst i have not had any direct contact with these people at the moment i am just a tad concerend as i have heard some bad stories about when they come to rent in private residential estates to include drops in the value of houses in the estate and some antisocial behavour :confused::confused: i am also annoyed that the person who owns the house must have little or no regard for the people who own homes in this estate and have large mortagages to pay:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

prejudice - 9 dictionary results

prej⋅u⋅dice   
    noun, verb, -diced, -dic⋅ing.
    –noun
    1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason. ie, to pre-judge.

2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

4. such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.

5. damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 5oaksdrogheda

wyndham,Thanks for the dictionary quote, there are other words i would suggest that you look up , but i shall refrain. I dont have any opinion on these people as i do not know them and if you actully read my post you would have seen i was merely asking if anyone has had simular experiences of this kind, ( for example a house near you being rented out to a member ot the traveller community when you have paid in excess of 350000 to buy your own home and worked hard for the opportunity to live in a quiet estate where the mojority of residents have done or are doing the same, i shall assume that you havent , otherwise im sure you would have had something more informative and helpfull to write, but thanks again for the dictionary explanation and i suggest you consider that explanation the next time you form "any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable" of a person who has posted here looking for a bit of advise and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I dont have any opinion on these people as i do not know them

maybe make an effort to get to know them.

You might surprise yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

A few years ago a traveller family moved in 2 doors up. They turned out to be the nicest people you could meet. The house was so clean I was put to shame with mine. The children were hilarious and the couple were really nice. They did however vanish into thin air, literally overnight. I would probably have had reservations before I met them but I was very wrong.
    Just call in to say hello if you are a few doors away. As NTLBELL says "You might surprise yourself."

hi ,
    i live in five oaks in drogheda and am concerned to see that one of the houses near the road that i live on has been rented out to a family from the traveller community.
    does anyone have any simular experiences? Whilst i have not had any direct contact with these people at the moment i am just a tad concerend as i have heard some bad stories about when they come to rent in private residential estates to include drops in the value of houses in the estate and some antisocial behavour :confused::confused: i am also annoyed that the person who owns the house must have little or no regard for the people who own homes in this estate and have large mortagages to pay:mad:

I'll think you find that you do have an opinion on "these" people. You are already spouting sh1te about falling property values. And how dare the owner rent to "those" people? Exactly what type of advice do you expect to get here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I dont have any opinion on these people

Yes you have. You've already sterotyped them in you first post.

Its a free world. People can live where they want how the want within the bounds of the law regardless if you workd hard to buy your €300k house

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

i am just a tad concerend as i have heard some bad stories about when they come to rent in private residential estates to include drops in the value of houses in the estate and some antisocial behavour

Cos they're the only people who behave like that of course..
    Why not go down with a bottle of wine and welcome them to the neighbourhood?
    If anyone moves into my neighbourhood I always make it a point to welcome them. Makes for a good community spirit and people are more likely to look out for each other.
    i am also annoyed that the person who owns the house must have little or no regard for the people who own homes in this estate and have large mortagages to pay

Yup. How dare he not be prejudice.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions, i did not intend to offend anyone on here , and it is nice to see so many open minded people are on here and just the occasional twat ( you know who you are :p) , im a realist but do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, but i will keep you all informed, and would still be very happy to hear from anyone else who actually has an some suggestions based on actual experience ( thanks harris, ) rather than what they would like to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I lived in a part of Dublin once when a number of traveller families moved into the next street. There were no problems. Houses were well kept. Kids were friendly.

Once there was a loud party but other neighbours had a loud parties the occasional time too, so it wasn't any different.

There didn't seem to be any effect on property prices as my housemates sister lived on the same street and was happy with the price she got when she sold.

So. There you go. They are ordinary people too. Imagine that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:confused:

Have you seen any antisocial behavior from your new neighbours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

to include drops in the value of houses in the estate
    Do you think vacant properties will help you house price?

Not that you could sell in the current market anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

ah come on will yiz?...give the OP a chance and get off your high horses. :rolleyes: Don't tell me it wouldn't bother yiz if a buch of traaaaavellers moved in down the road. You'd be all shouting NIMBY NIMBY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Everyone here seems to have had nice experiences with neighbors from the travelling community. Unfortunatly my OHs family didnt, they lived right next door and they were always screaming and fighting, beating the crap out of each other out on the street (not just the kids, parents too) and the Gardai were up at their door at least once a week. The kids broke into the house and stole all of my OH's little brothers xbox games and were caught trying to sell them in xtra vision.
    Now this is just our experience of one family not my view of the whole travelling community as I have known some others myself and they were nice as pie. Just wanted to give a contrasting opinion.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

yep , they moved in three doors from me, i instantly dreaded coming home from work, warned my kids to stay away from them, theiveing spl b@stards.
    with their high ace vans and living off my hard earned cash
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    well turns out i was WRONG, must have picked up that attitude growing up, took my ten year old to tell me they were ok and why did i not like them if i didnt even know them, i replied they are all the same, and he said oh hope more of them move in then:rolleyes:
    seriously welcome them in and judge them on their own merit...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

A few observations

You say:

This is nonsense you quite clearly do as you stated in your first post

. . .am just a tad concerend as i have heard some bad stories about when they come to rent in private residential estates to include drops in the value of houses in the estate and some antisocial behavour

Your suggestion that you were merely asking if anyone had similar experiences

and if you actully read my post you would have seen i was merely asking if anyone has had simular experiences of this kind,

is a little disingenuous as the majority of your post was a venting of anger / frustration etc at both the landlord and the tenant. Your supposed query amounted to a six word sentence buried in the middle of your 128 word complaint.

You don’t have any prejudices or yet the implication of the following is that the introduction of a traveller family will somehow alter the delicate balance of the community you live in. If that’s not a prejudice I don’t know what is. And by the way
    . . . .worked hard for the opportunity to live in a quiet estate where the mojority of residents have done or are doing the same,

You have spent 350K on your house and no doubt you don’t want anyone telling you what you can or cant do with it. After all its your own and as you have said you have worked hard for it. None the less you think it reasonable that you should feel angry that the owner of the house for his/her actions

i am also annoyed that the person who owns the house must have little or no regard for the people who own homes in this estate and have large mortagages to pay

You know I’ll be honest with you this really sounds like nothing more than a (prejudiced) whinge.

Have a look at this thread if you are concerned about the value of your property:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58713810

Some interesting quotes:

I'm in a similar position to you in S. Drogheda and have been watching things quite closely. I'm very much inclined to hold off and continue to rent as the arse is falling out of property in Drogheda generally, imo it is probably one of the toughest hit areas in the country in terms of price drops, but there is definitely more to go. Demand is falling, and there are entire estates of rentals that people are or will shortly be trying to offload.

Given that rents have dropped (from what I've seen) probably on average about E200/month on just about everything in the last 6-8months, it makes increasing sense to just rent another year and reevaluate then. When I was moving last April, a 3bed semi in Grange Rath was looking at E1200/m, now they're on for E950 and there are lots of them so you have plenty of negotiating room.

......remember that it is essentially an oversized commuter town, with little or no employment in the town, and if things do continue to go t*ts up it will be one of the first places to be hit and hit hardest (with assoc. drops in house prices).

TBH your new neighbours should be the least of concerns wrt the value of your house. Expect more of the same in the coming months and years. Social welfare recipients, asylum seekers, travellers and other marginalised groups. Beggars can't be choosers and landlords in an economic blackspot such as the town you are living in will be delighted with any tenant.

Further information may be found at daft.ie, which lists 408 properties for sale and 303 to let in Drogheda (Both numbers rising daily), Irish Property Watch, thepropertypin.com, etc,etc,etc.

Have a nice day.

sadista wrote: »
    Everyone here seems to have had nice experiences with neighbors from the travelling community. Unfortunatly my OHs family didnt, they lived right next door and they were always screaming and fighting, beating the crap out of each other out on the street (not just the kids, parents too) and the Gardai were up at their door at least once a week. The kids broke into the house and stole all of my OH's little brothers xbox games and were caught trying to sell them in xtra vision.
    Now this is just our experience of one family not my view of the whole travelling community as I have known some others myself and they were nice as pie. Just wanted to give a contrasting opinion.:D

Thanks guys, im glad to see that there are some contrasting opinions and that my concerns arent based just on myth. i will just see how things progress and let you, fingers crossed it will all be positive or at least most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Seems to be a lot of traveller-lovers in this thread.

Hating people you don't know is one of the purest pleasures in life. No better way to strengthen a community than by knowing who is excluded and then swapping lies about them. It's a great boost to self esteem to have someone to look down on. It's always been a problem for Drogheda finding anyone different- as no outsider would ever want to move there. All they could do is hate Dundalk from afar. Really Drogheda can feel lucky that some travellers have agreed to move in.

What would grim towns be without petty prejudice and small-mindedness? Nice to see someone's doing their civic duty in Drogheda.

I'm sorry people from Louth can't afford to live on my road because we'd have a right old lynching.

well its been almost 3 weeks now so i thought i would give you all a bit of an update. The current state of play is that there has been a big increase in the amount of traffic here. generally vans and people carriers coming and going into the early hours of the morning only after being parked up on the kerbs or oustide other peoples driveways for hours , theres a nice big trailer in the front garden along with an accumulation of scrap starting. On the whole its a bit of an eyesore:eek: oh and theres that dog that never ever stops yelping and barking.:(
    Maybe i wasnt so wrong to be concerned afterall but i would indeed be wrong to tar all people from the traveller community with the one brush.:D
    Not much Idea what i should do now that they have set up residence as i have a fear that this is only the beginning :confused:

Then traffic warden, litter warden and dog warden / noise poullution section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Several years ago travellers moved into the house across the road from us. 2 weeks later there was a massive noise of breaking glass and crumbling walls.
    When i went to the door i could see a cloud of dust and the family getting into the van and driving off. never saw them again.

It turned out yer man decided to widen the driveway to get the van along the side of the house. So he knocked the wall out of the side of the house to widen it. it took the upstairs and the roof with it. Half the house caved in.

I wish a had a video camera. One of the funniest things ive ever seen.

So just tell them not to try to widen the drive at the side of the house by knocking walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Victor wrote: »
    dog warden / noise poullution section.

any links to the noise pollution wording about dogs?
    few in my area bark all night long, only problem is cant tell which gardens theyre coming from :mad:

Search this board for "noise" - you local council will have a section dealing with environmental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi 5Oaks, Dont meet worry half way. You will find that because they are renting the prob met the same views of the renter when letting out the house. After all s/he does not want to be spending a fortune in this climate doing up the house

I lived next door to travellers and they were lovely. Best neighbours I had. Better than the 2 faced neighbour on my other side.

Thanks for the responses guys, asoecially 321654, that gave me a good laugh :D I am going to make a few calls this week and see what can be done , just on the off chance that things do get any worse, there were 3 bus passenger seats in the garden over the week end . Very odd indeed.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

. The current state of play is that there has been a big increase in the amount of traffic here. generally vans and people carriers coming and going into the early hours of the morning only after being parked up on the kerbs or oustide other peoples driveways for hours

yes people from the "settled" community never have friends around who park on the road OMG the cheek of these travelers:eek:
    , theres a nice big trailer in the front garden along with an accumulation of scrap starting. On the whole its a bit of an eyesore:eek: oh and theres that dog that never ever stops yelping and barking.:(

a trailer in a garden well i never....are they dumping the scrap in your front garden if not why are you worried about how their garden looks? and now they're keeping pets

WTF wrote:
    Maybe i wasnt so wrong to be concerned afterall but i would indeed be wrong to tar all people from the traveller community with the one brush.:D
    Not much Idea what i should do now that they have set up residence as i have a fear that this is only the beginning :confused:

YOUR RIGHT

GET THEM OUT NOW! BEFORE THEY GET A GOLD FISH!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

hi ,

If the original poster had the words "black people" instead of "traveller community" would this post have been allowed stand???

Very surprised this post has not been moderated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

If the original poster had the words "black people" instead of "traveller community" would this post have been allowed stand???

Very surprised this post has not been moderated.

Isn't the OP entitled to their opinion? Have you read their most recent post? If he/she submitted such a post about a settled family would you be as indignant? Is this what Ireland has come to??

Thanks freddie, i was starting to think this was no longer a place to express ones opinion or concerns and to receive constructive feed back from people with actual experiences and not just idealistic views which we are are all certainly entitled to but alas i am the one living in the situation but i can see from the majority of the posts here i wont be receiving anything constructive or informative that is based on actual experience just a whole lot of PC malarky so i wont be bothering with this thread any further. No point :( Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I think you'll find a number of posters gave you a suggestion early in the post. As in go and introduce yourself to your new neighbours. I can only assume you did not take on this advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement