Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does that mean?! -Irish Phrases.

Options
  • 23-01-2009 12:38pm

I dont know if this will benefit people or not but I think it might help me..
    so if u dont know what a phrase or sentence means- post it and some1 will tell you what it means!! yay! the world makes sense again!!!:)
    you MUST quote the question when you answer it, otherwise translations may get confused...
    anyway:

is fearr fearg ná plámás??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

"Is fearr fearg ná plámás" comes out literally as "Anger is better than flattery", it would appear. I presume it means false praise or something, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

By the by,
    http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/dictionary
    http://www.focal.ie/Home.aspx
    are some good online dictionaries.

cool, thanx.
    heres another one:

is ina dhiaidh a thuigtear gach beart??

[quote=[Deleted User];58725810]
    is ina dhiaidh a thuigtear gach beart??[/quote]
    Hm... literally "It's after it that every deed is understood", so I'm guessing something like "Hindsight is a wonderful thing".
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

is binn béal ina thost??

[quote=[Deleted User];58726112]is binn béal ina thost??[/QUOTE]
    Literally "A silent mouth is musical", I think. Not enitrely sure of the meaning of "binn", but that's the gist of it. So "silence is golden". : p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Seanfhocail go léir duitse.

http://www.daltai.com/sf_eile.htm

Anyone tell me what these mean?
    "déanann sparán trom croí éadrom"
    "is fearr fearg ná plámas"
    "glacann fear críonna comhairle"
    "an té a shantaíonn an t-iomlán, caillfidh sé an t-iomlán"
    "is minic a bhíonn ciíin ciontach"
    "bíonn an fhírinne searbh"
    please and thankyou!:D

[quote=[Deleted User];58923616]Anyone tell me what these mean?
    "déanann sparán trom croí éadrom"
    "is fearr fearg ná plámas"
    "glacann fear críonna comhairle"
    "an té a shantaíonn an t-iomlán, caillfidh sé an t-iomlán"
    "is minic a bhíonn ciíin ciontach"
    "bíonn an fhírinne searbh"
    please and thankyou!:D[/QUOTE]
    "Déanann sparán trom croí éadrom" - "A heavy purse makes a light heart", I believe.
    "Is fearr fearg ná plámas" was already in this thread, my last guess was "Anger is better than flattery".
    "Glacann fear críonna comhairle" - "A wise man takes advice"
    "An té a shantaíonn an t-iomlán, caillfidh sé an t-iomlán" - "The person who greeds for everything, will lose everything"
    "Is minic a bhíonn ciúin ciontach" (I assume you meant) - "It's often that silence is guilty." Or possibly "It's often that the silent one is guilty", since "ciúnas" means silence, ciúin is the adjective...
    "Bíon an fhírinne searbh" - "The truth is bitter" (ie the truth hurts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Can someone give me a translation of 'According to Brian Cowen, it is likely that around 400,000 people will be unemployed by the end of the year' please?

I have a notion it's something like 'tá gach cosúlacht ann go bhfuil timpeall 400,000 daoine gan post / dífhostaithe ag deireadh na bliana seo' but I'm not sure. 'Thuas seal thíos seal' is a proverb I can't get my head around either...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

"De réir An Taoiseach Brian Cowan, is docha go mbeidh timpeall 400,000 dífhostaithe ag deireadh na bliana seo"

Or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Monzo wrote: »
    Can someone give me a translation of 'According to Brian Cowen, it is likely that around 400,000 people will be unemployed by the end of the year' please?

I have a notion it's something like 'tá gach cosúlacht ann go bhfuil timpeall 400,000 daoine gan post / dífhostaithe ag deireadh na bliana seo' but I'm not sure. 'Thuas seal thíos seal' is a proverb I can't get my head around either...

Up for a while, down for a while. Basically what goes up must come down.

Thanks Piste. Cautioner too. Had a notion it was the latter but needed confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What's "I went to Monaghan on Friday to go to a match. Shelbourne versus Monaghan Utd, Shels won 1-0. Anto Flood came off the bench and scored the goal" in Irish?

"Chuaigh mé go dti Muineachán de hAoine dul chun an cluiche. Shelbourne in aghaidh Monaghan Utd..." I'm lost after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

What's "I went to Monaghan on Friday to go to a match. Shelbourne versus Monaghan Utd, Shels won 1-0. Anto Flood came off the bench and scored the goal" in Irish?

Chuaigh mé go dti cluiche i Muineachán de hAoine . Shelbourne in aghaidh Monaghan Utd. Bhuaigh Shels 1-0. D'éirigh Anto Flood as an mbinse agus scoráil sé an t-aon chúl sa chluiche.

I would translate 'Thuas Seal Thios Seal' Life will have ups and downs.

Lads, I need some help with the following phrases in preparation for the bealtriail:
    - I intend to go to the _ festival this summer
    - It's always been a dream of mine to see <band> live in concert
    - I'm really looking forward to it and it'll be a great way to start the summer

Also, what's the Irish for Arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

dolliemix wrote: »
    Bhuaigh Shels 1-0
    When you're saying this, say it like this: "Bhuaigh Shels a haon in aghaidh a nad"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Lads, I need some help with the following phrases in preparation for the bealtriail:
    - I intend to go to the _ festival this summer
    - It's always been a dream of mine to see <band> live in concert
    - I'm really looking forward to it and it'll be a great way to start the summer

Tá sé ar intinn agam dul go dtí an Féile "x" i rith an Samhraidh. (or else: Táim chun dul go dtí an féile "x")
    Ta s d'uailmhian agam an grúpa "x" a fheiceail i gceolchoirm. (Basically means it's my ultimate ambition to see x in concert, I think. But works the same)
    Táim ag tnúth go mór leis. Ba slí iontach é an samhraidh a thosú. (possible tense mix up there)

I'm open to corrections on all of those... but i think they're alright-ish.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Tá sé ar intinn agam dul go dtí an Féile "x" i rith an Samhraidh. (or else: Táim chun dul go dtí an féile "x")
    Ta s d'uailmhian agam an grúpa "x" a fheiceail i gceolchoirm. (Basically means it's my ultimate ambition to see x in concert, I think. But works the same)
    Táim ag tnúth go mór leis. Ba slí iontach é an samhraidh a thosú. (possible tense mix up there)

I'm open to corrections on all of those... but i think they're alright-ish.

i rith an tSamhraidh (tuiseal ginideach)

Ba = aimsir chaite / modh coiniollach and it always takes a séimhiú

Beidh sé iontach chun tús a chur leis an samhradh

Tá sé d'uailmhain agam is a really nice translation bythewoods!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I would have used the word gloirmhian but thats a cool word to use anyway. They all mean ambiton/ great intention so....

Thanks lads. Any clue on what Arts might be? Might get away with just using the english word for it. Is 'd'uailmhain' pronounced as 'da-ul-wayne'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Thanks lads. Any clue on what Arts might be? Might get away with just using the english word for it. Is 'd'uailmhain' pronounced as 'da-ul-wayne'?

d'uailmhian's pronounced dool-veen.

The Arts thing has been bugging me! I know I've definitely heard it before, is it possibly litríocht or something? Been on my mind since you asked up there... agh! Never thought of checking though :P
    If anyone knows, please, enlighten me before I punch my computer screen.

céim ealaíne is arts degree

Ba mhaith liom céim ealaíne a bhaint amach san ollscoil

I'd like to do an arts degree

Tá sé ar intinn agam _________,___________ agus ___________ a dhéanamh mar ábhair má fhaighim na pointí cuí

I intend doing __________, ____________ and _____________ as subjects if I get the points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I need some basic translations badly, any would be much appreciated :D
    * i go cycle to school every day
    *i really like this school, ive loads of friends and the teachers are great
    *I buy ( unsure how to form in the present tense).
    plus does this make sense, is maith liom bearla agus stair mar is brea liom ag scriobh. Ach is fear liom an t-abhar eolaiochtai mar ta se suimiul.

there will be more gan dabht

Cheers dolliemix. I knew ealaíne is the Irish for Art as a subject but never considered it for the uni course.

theowen wrote: »
    I need some basic translations badly, any would be much appreciated :D
    * i go cycle to school every day
    *i really like this school, ive loads of friends and the teachers are great
    *I buy ( unsure how to form in the present tense).
    plus does this make sense, is maith liom bearla agus stair mar is brea liom ag scriobh. Ach is fear liom an t-abhar eolaiochtai mar ta se suimiul.

there will be more gan dabht

Is bréa liom an scoil seo. Tá a lán cairde agam sa scoil seo. Tá múinteroirí maithe ar an fhoireann anseo ('there are good teachers on the staff').

To flesh it out a bit more you could also throw in something about how good the atmosphere is in the school, how lucky you are to have a good principal (tá an t-ádh linn go bhfuil príomhóide iontach maith againn) and how you've benefitted from your time there (baineann mé táirbhe as mo chuid ama sa scoil seo).

Ceannaíonn

is maith liom bearla agus stair mar is brea liom a bheith ag scriobh.

Not sure about the other sentence.

Hey dont forget you cant use 'mé' in the present tense

Well translated otherwise Monzo!

Bainim tairbhe as mo chuid ama sa scoil seo

Ceannaím - I buy

Rothaím ar scoil gach lá - I cycle to school every day

thanks for that :rolleyes::D

Anyone help me with the pronunciation of "maithe" ?

Depends where you're from

If you're from south or west just say 'maith' as normal and add on 'ha' at the end

If you're from the north say 'my' 'ha'

I feel like im taking advantage at this point :pac:

How would ye pronounce tairbhe? and does t-adh sound the same as ta?:)

• Advertisement

Not at all:pac:

Tar a va (tairbhe) say it really quickly

an t-ádh is exactly like tá

Advertisement