Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can not rent a car -no credit card

Options
  • 23-01-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

As a person who does not have a credit card I have been told by car rental companies that I can not rent a car. Below is the reason given from one company:

Thank you for getting back to me. We insist on a credit card in the driver’s name for insurance and security reasons. We need to hold an excess/deductible amount on the card in case of damage.

Also in the case of any parking, traffic, speeding fines that may only come to light once the driver has returned the car, it is only in the case of having the drivers credit card details that we can charge the driver.

Our policy is in place to minimize the risk the company takes in renting out vehicles worth thousands of Euros.

Has any body got an ideas how I can get around this or do you know of any places that do not require a credit card. Is this not a form of discrimination?? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Topmail wrote: »
    Is this not a form of discrimination?? :mad:

it's not.

They can choose to have any condition on their rental that is reasonable. If you tear holes in the seat of their car. hand it back and walk away ..how can they get compensation for your damage without having to take costly legal action.

With the credit card they can cover the damage immediatly.

I believe some will allow you to rent with out a credit card, but you would probably have to put down a significant cash deposit. Just like when renting bowling shoes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As a person who does not have a credit card I have been told by car rental companies that I can not rent a car.

Has any body got an ideas how I can get around this or do you know of any places that do not require a credit card. Is this not a form of discrimination?? :mad:

It's not discrimination, it's business.

Unless you put down a cash deposit (probably a large percentage value of the vehicle), then you have no choice. Besides, it's easy enough to get a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is this not a form of discrimination?? :mad:

If it were impossible for you to ever get a credit card, then yes, it would be. However, anyone over the age of 18, can get a credit card, just that some choose not to. Therefore, not discrimination.

There's no way around it, unless the rental company have provisions for such people. I've heard in the past, that some will take a large cash deposit, in place of a credit card. This deposit could be in the order of 500euro. It's up to the rental company though, and the majority will insist on a card, in the renter's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

jor el wrote: »
    anyone over the age of 18, can get a credit card
    I don't think so. You really think a credit card company are going to give a card to someone who has, say, declared bankrupcy a dozen times, and defaulted on loan after loan after loan?

That said, OP, there is not much you can do if that is their policy.

I would like to see how they handle credit cards with very low limits (ex. student mastercard - €600)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

One time the CC system was not working at Buget in Stansted they tool my Laser card.

'Do you take laser?'
    'Only unofficially...'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I rented a car last summer and paid a cash deposit - felt a bit easier about it too as I new that they could not charge me any extras once I brought the car back in one piece & knew that the upper limit of what I was liable for could not exceed the deposit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

go to Kildare village outlets - buy a gift card for the amount of the excess + the car rental. Use this as your credit card.

It is issued by newcastle building society & is a mastercard debit card - acceptable at ALL mastercard outlets worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

snappieT wrote: »
    I don't think so. You really think a credit card company are going to give a card to someone who has, say, declared bankrupcy a dozen times, and defaulted on loan after loan after loan?

I wouldn't lend that person a tenner let alone a car.

Advertisement