Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upmost Respect...

• 23-01-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Is this phrase incorrect? Do you have to show 'Utmost Respect'? I was reading an article, quoting a statement, which went "Upmost [sic] Respect..."

Is there need for the [sic]?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"Utmost respect" is a perfectly ok phrase in my opinion.

I'm confused about your other query.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"Utmost" is correct. "Upmost" is ignorance.

[SIC] is just used to show that a mistake has been reprinted verbatim i.e.

"I have the upmost [sic] respect for Bertie Ahern" wrote the minister.

This just means that the writer of the above sentence is quoting the minister verbatim i.e. the writer hasn't made the mistake, it was the minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I was wondering if 'Upmost Respect' was acceptable too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

No, they both have different meanings.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/utmost.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote: »
    "Utmost" is correct. "Upmost" is ignorance.

But it still makes some sense... "I have the uppermost ie. highest degree of respect for so-and-so...'". "Upmost" even produces more hits in google than "Utmost", though that doesn't really mean much.
    Gauge wrote: »
    No, they both have different meanings.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/utmost.html

Hah, I saw that article too but since it's American I instantly disregard it out of hand! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yes, you don't go to America for english lessons!

My thinking at the moment is - These words are sure to have very similar etymologies and if english was so rigid so as not to allow "Upmost Respect", these words wouldn't have the ostensibly different meanings that they have now.

The media never say it themselves which pleases me but it seems in general they don't mark as incorrect "upmost respect" quotes with a [sic] tag. In fact if you search for "upmost (sic) respect" in google news, only the article that I read came up. It's an eggcorn of sorts!

Advertisement