Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Everton FA Cup thread

• 23-01-2009 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

We need a thread for this game coming up on Sunday....

Any childish/tit-for-tat posting like we had in the last thread for the premier league game isn't needed. If you are going to start down that road, don't bother posting. ;)

Anyway to start things off, saw this article on the BBC website, which had a very good video in it about the Liverpool vs Everton FA Cup Final from 1986. Reds and Blues going down on the train together to Wembley. Reds helping blues jump the barriers into Wembley as they had no tickets (some quite dangerous jumping involved as you will see) :D

Anyway. Enjoy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7827167.stm

With regards to the game, I think it will be tight again. I'm going for another draw with the replay coming back to Goodison! (Don't know if the heart could handle 4 merseyside derby games in a season though)

Everton's starting line-up won't be too different from the premier league game as they basically have no choice. I think the result will depend a lot on Rafa's choice of formation and players. Gerrard playing a bit further up the pitch in his usual role may have more influence on the game...

C'mon you blues! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

expect a largely reserve side for this one tbh.

wanna win, but not really that fussed in the overall scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Mr Alan wrote: »
    expect a largely reserve side for this one tbh.

wanna win, but not really that fussed in the overall scheme of things.

+1

My sentiments exactly. Torres will probably start, but I'd say that's only to get match fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

Don't think it matters if Liverpool make 2 or 3 changes. It will just as tough for Everton to get anything out of the game.

I would be delighted with another draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I hope Rafa puts a strong team out as i want Liverpool to do well in the Cup this season as the Semi Final is the weekend after the Hillsbrough 20th anniversy it would be fitting to play in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would have happily taken a defeat in this game if we had gotten 3 points on Monday. Since we didn't I want a small measure of revenge now.

Does anyone know whether there will be extra time and penalties if it's level after 90 minutes or will it go to a replay? I'm thinking replay but I can't find confirmation anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

malice_ wrote: »
    I would have happily taken a defeat in this game if we had gotten 3 points on Monday. Since we didn't I want a small measure of revenge now.
    Same here.
    Does anyone know whether there will be extra time and penalties if it's level after 90 minutes or will it go to a replay? I'm thinking replay but I can't find confirmation anywhere.
    Replay on the 2nd/3rd Feb, which would result in the Everton/Man U game going to the 31st.

There wouldn't be a repeat of 1991 cup game with a second reply, the first reply would go to extra time and penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Same here.

i see what you did there, very funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Agger is fit apparently according to lfc.tv so could feature. Same article refers to Rafa having a full squad available which presumably means even Degen is available too (don't think I've seen him play yet).

Bluetonic wrote:
    Replay on the 2nd/3rd Feb
    Thanks for that info.
    zing wrote: »
    even Degen is available too (don't think I've seen him play yet).
    You haven't missed much. So far I think he's only featured briefly against Spurs in the League Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

From what I've read I've not missed too much as a lot seem to dismiss him as being useless. Until I've seen him myself I won't be judging him.

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    From what I've read I've not missed too much as a lot seem to dismiss him as being useless. Until I've seen him myself I won't be judging him.
    Well I was certainly skeptical when he was signed as I felt that Dortmund would surely have kept him if he was any good. Also, he only made something like 60 appearances for them over 3 seasons which would indicate that he tends to miss a lot of games. Thirdly while he was in the Swiss squad for Euro 2008, he didn't make any appearances and they weren't exactly the best team at the tournament.

People are probably dismissing him as useless based on the fact that he's been injured which isn't very fair if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Can see this being another tough match for both teams. Cant really see Pool "resting" there main players.
    If we get in on them like Monday night we have a big chance of beating them. Cahill will be well up to try beat Dixie's record.
    Can see another score draw or maybe 2-1 to someone.
    Too hard to call.

Who's the ref ?

Forgot to add to last post :
    Have Liverpool won a game since the Newcastle game/Stevie G charge ?
    I dont think they have. INteresting dont you think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Steve Bennett is the ref for sunday's game.

Thats ok IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dubliner28 wrote: »

Win at Preston.

True indeed.
    Just taught they had drawn them
    Never mind. Just a taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

I didn't care at all about this game untill monday night. Now i would like some consolation. I don't think benitez is going to play a full strength team but I'd like to see torres getting a full game and a goal or two to settle him back in rightly.

Is it really that interesting? They have only played 2 league games since then. Away against a Stoke team who have one of the best home records in the division and the derby against Everton which is always tough.

There is also then the small matter of the previous round of the FA Cup which was played between the Newcastle and Stoke games and was won quite comfortably.

So, in answer to your question, yes they have won a game since the Newcastle match. They're also undefeated since the Newcastle match and have scored three times as many goals as they conceded.

Now if only points were awarded for attempts on goal or something :).

Arteta may be out.

• Advertisement

Just heard on ITV there during the Man U/Spurs game that if both clubs pre agree to extra time then it can be played in favour of a replay.

First I've ever heard of it. Doubt many clubs would ever agree to that (United or Spurs didn't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just heard on ITV there during the Man U/Spurs game that if both clubs pre agree to extra time then it can be played in favour of a replay.

First I've ever heard of it. Doubt many clubs would ever agree to that (United or Spurs didn't)

Only if it's done a week before. It's a rule from fifty years ago that was meant to help amateur clubs on saving money on expense of other trips etc.
    Typical Taggart!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think we have have drawn something like 6 out of the last 8 games.. 2 or 3 of them have been since the Stevie G incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Arteta may be out.

Theres rumours flying around Merseyside alright - looks like broken ribs, Great artical in the liverpool echo bout Arteta's relationship with the playing side of Liverpools Spanish contingent

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2009/01/24/mikel-arteta-s-message-to-liverpool-the-phoney-war-is-over-100252-22765081/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/7827167.stm

A lot of hatred between blue and red since then :(

hard to call. Id say a draw tbh.

Wigan on Tuesday is far more important for the club

rarnes1 wrote: »
    hard to call. Id say a draw tbh.

Wigan on Tuesday is far more important for the club
    Similarly Arsenal on Wednesday is far more important.

Similarly Arsenal on Wednesday is far more important.

Battle for 5th;)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Battle for 5th;)
    Indeed, 4th at a push due to others decline. Nice to get a day out in May in the cup but we just don't have the squad at present.

There's two groups of games left to define Everton season, Arsenal (h) & Man U (a) in the forthcoming week, and Villa (a) & Chelsea (a) mid April.

All the games in between and after are winnable, the above are the four key games in Evertons season, although maybe not so much the Man U game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

My friend tells me his source told him:

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Dossena, Kuyt, Masch, Xabi, Babel, Gerrard, Torres.

Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Neville, Anichebe, Osman, Cahill, Castillo, Piennar.

I'd be happy enough with that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

From the BBC website on Friday - would be interesting to see if Cavalieri starts.

My own preference is that I wouldn't mind if we went out to a dodgy goal.
    A moral victory would suit me fine. As against that I would like to see a decent performance. Prioritity this year has to be the league and if we have less games to play the better our chances I think. Will probably have to see how the game goes before I see how I feel about it.
    Liverpool are likely to make changes but captain Steven Gerrard will play despite appearing in court on Friday.

Javier Mascherano is set to be recalled to the starting XI and keeper Diego Cavalieri and full-back Andrea Dossena could also be involved for the Reds.

Everton defender Joseph Yobo may return to the squad after missing the last four games with a hamstring strain.

Boss David Moyes is set to pick the same team that drew 1-1 at Liverpool on Monday, with Marouane Fellaini banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

The new rumour is that Keane walked out in a huff when he discovered he wasn't starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

So, Keanes didn't even make the bench...I wonder will any club try to sign him during the week? Not a chance Benitez could let him go though with the champions Leaue in mind and the restrictions involved in registering possible replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Anyone know if this one is on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Its on Setanta Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

How long before Man City are linked with Robbie Keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tom65 wrote: »

Why would you say such a thing? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

rosboy wrote: »
    Anyone know if this one is on TV?

It's on Setanta Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tom65 wrote: »

Wasnt that in the Indo yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

no suprise for me with robbie not starting. the suprise is he's been droppped altogether. i have a feeling he will be out the gap at the end of the season. i think rafa has run out of patience with him.. especially after his little strop the last day. we all saw it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why would you say such a thing? :mad:

Sorry :(
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Wasnt that in the Indo yesterday?

Was it? Feckin' crafty journalists. Always one step ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

evil_seed wrote: »
    no suprise for me with robbie not starting. the suprise is he's been droppped altogether. i have a feeling he will be out the gap at the end of the season. i think rafa has run out of patience with him.. especially after his little strop the last day. we all saw it

Is a player not allowed to be dissapointed when he's subbed? I wouldn't have called it a strop. He's being subbed every time he starts to be fair, it would get to anyone. Can't be something to hold against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

My friend tells me his source told him:

Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Dossena, Kuyt, Masch, Xabi, Babel, Gerrard, Torres.

Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Neville, Anichebe, Osman, Cahill, Castillo, Piennar.

I'd be happy enough with that team.

Those teams are on the money alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I can see another 1-1 here but a suspect a dodgy refereeing decision to go Liverpools way. As always.

We shall persevere tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Can't see many goals in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

COME ON YOU BLEEWWWWWWWWZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arteta will be a big loss, I don't know if Everton can manage it this time tbh.

I'll go with a Liverpool win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

I reckon it'll be 2-1. Strange that keane isn't even on the sheet though, there must be something going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gd1987 wrote: »
    I reckon it'll be 2-1. Strange that keane isn't even on the sheet though, there must be something going on there.

Yep there is - he's crap

• Advertisement
Advertisement