Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Everton FA Cup thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

1-1 Full time. Entertaining last 10 minutes, but a replay in 10 days time is something liverpool really didn't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Well small teams do go to Anfield and Old Tafford and put 10 men behind the ball and hope for a set peice knowing if they dont they are more than likey get hammered

that's the point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nobody needs it and it also impacts Utd too as there game with Everton now called off as Setanta had it on a Monday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

It's all part of Rafas plan to mess with uniteds fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

this is a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Jaysus, in that case full marks for effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Highsider wrote: »
    Made up about this.:) Chance to end their season twice within the week. The god's have been good to us. Also gives Torres a good chance to get his goal count up this season after all the injuries. Nice to see a small club get a chance to play at Anfield. Should be a good day out for them. :D
    Bye bye everton

Boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

meh, extra time for the walking wounded to recover imo

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well assuming both United and Liverpool win their midweek games, Im sure United would rather have their weekend game played and hopefully won before Liverpool and Chelsea play one another on Sunday.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well assuming both United and Liverpool win their midweek games, Im sure United would rather have their weekend game played and hopefully won before Liverpool and Chelsea play one another on Sunday.

?

United-Everton are scheduled to play Monday week, the day after Liverpool Chelsea anyway

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    ?

United-Everton are scheduled to play Monday week, the day after Liverpool Chelsea anyway

Not now they are not. Game will now be played on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

KevIRL wrote: »
    ?

It'll be moved to saturday now to facilitate the replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

When is the replay?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Not now they are not. Game will now be played on Saturday

Ah okay. Ta for that. I thought it might be moved altogether

brian_rbk wrote: »
    When is the replay?

Wednesday 4th Feb I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I was more talking abuot the person who posted about having tickets for the game on Monday night but was worried about a reply happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I was more talking abuot the person who posted about having tickets for the game on Monday night but was worried about a reply happening

I wasn't replying to you, notice I didn't quote you and the fact we posted at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Its chubb76 , he is my bro he aint going to be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

joe123 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Keane would of been a perfect player for this stage to unlock their defence.

no

as he's s***e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    no

as he's s***e

It's all relative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah football fans, Keane is **** apparently.

Clap Clap Clap. I wish my world was as black and white as yours, your life must be so simplistic.

noodler wrote: »
    Ah football fans, Keane is **** apparently.

Clap Clap Clap. I wish my world was as black and white as yours, your life must be so simplistic.

touchy....:rolleyes:

he has been **** relative to the price-tag on his head.

in relation to how I would do playing for 'pool he's frickin awesome obviously, but relative to what is expected of him he's not been so great.

imo obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

7 goals is disappointing but Rafa takes some of the blame here. Playing him when his confidence is rock bottom and then dropping it when it is sky high.

Also, despite his tag, there are plenty of players who have contributed even less. Dossena, Lucas, Srktel has been disappointing since he came back, Torres won't stay fit (even when he is btw his goals games ration is relatively poor this season too while we are at it), Arbeloa can't cross and Benayoun needs not to be tackled in order to make an impact.

Keane has been nowhere near as influential as we hoped but the price tag ain't his fault-it's merely a sign of how good he has been in recent seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Very dissapointed with today's and Monday's results. Sick and tired at this stage of our inability to break down small teams when they come to Anfield. Every single player in the squad needs to take a long hard look at themselves (Stevie,Alonso & Torres aside) and decide if they are putting in 110%. Babel was absolute rubbish today and unfortunatly i think needs to move on. :(

small teams

everton are never a small team

i agree with the rest of your post though

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Very dissapointed with today's and Monday's results. Sick and tired at this stage of our inability to break down small teams when they come to Anfield. Every single player in the squad needs to take a long hard look at themselves (Stevie,Alonso & Torres aside) and decide if they are putting in 110%. Babel was absolute rubbish today and unfortunatly i think needs to move on. :(

Back with the small team jibe just cos u couldnt beat us twice at home. Does a small team consistently finish in the top 6 of the top division of the english league?
    As for our display today, i think a draw was fair but pool cold easily have nicked it. Bringing on a 16 and 18 year old just goes to show how bare our squad is but what we lack in numbers we make up in heart. I just hope we can put in the same shift when we get back to Goodison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Disappointed with the result but credit to Everton, they defended extremely well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

Sick and tired at this stage of our inability to break down small teams when they come to Anfield.

ouch. come on man, your bigger than that crap. calling your biggest rivals a small club brings down your own club. shameful comment tbh. anyway...

as regards the game, thought everton sat back after they scored and lacked ambition. liverpool got a lucky break for the goal and really pressed for 15 mins but died again after this. they looked most likely to score.

i dont think everton have the firepower to finish off the top 4/5 sides at the moment, but they are always capable of scoring headed goals or goals from wide areas. they score more from wide areas that any other team, there delivery is top class and many of the "big" clubs can learn from it.

fancy liverpool to win the replay 2-0, but a 1-0 for everton would not surprise me either. will stick with liverpool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    ouch. come on man, your bigger than that crap. calling your biggest rivals a small club brings down your own club. shameful comment tbh. anyway...

as regards the game, thought everton sat back after they scored and lacked ambition. liverpool got a lucky break for the goal and really pressed for 15 mins but died again after this. they looked most likely to score.

i dont think everton have the firepower to finish off the top 4/5 sides at the moment, but they are always capable of scoring headed goals or goals from wide areas. they score more from wide areas that any other team, there delivery is top class and many of the "big" clubs can learn from it.

fancy liverpool to win the replay 2-0, but a 1-0 for everton would not surprise me either. will stick with liverpool though.

TBH did'nt even realise i'd posted that but i'll stand by it.;) oh and if you know anything about football you'll know Everton are not our biggest rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

TBH did'nt even realise i'd posted that but i'll stand by it.;) oh and if you know anything about football you'll know Everton are not our biggest rivals.

What ?

How are Everton not your biggest Rivals ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

hmmm, how many people from liverpool would agree with you?? people who live in the city will see everton as their main rivals , same as united v city, chelsea v arsenal. cos we live in ireland, its easy to attach to the hype, but try walking around liverpool tomorrow if everton had won today...

i assume you mean united anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

highsider i think your full of ****e,you go over to liverpool and ask any true liverpool supporter what games they look forward to the most and they will say the mersyside derby,everton are the team liverpool want to beat every season and are their biggest rivals and there is alot a years of history to prove it,how can you call a team that finishes in the top 6 a small team,in my opinion i think liverpool will win nothing this year as they simply arent good enough.CMON THE TOFFEES!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Not true to be honest.Any liverpudlians ive ever asked have always said the Man united match is the most fierce and the biggest rivalry without a doubt.

The merseyside derby is more of a good banter with many families having both teams supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

joe123 wrote: »
    Not true to be honest.Any liverpudlians ive ever asked have always said the Man united match is the most fierce and the biggest rivalry without a doubt.

The merseyside derby is more of a good banter with many families having both teams supported.
    laugh_ha_ha.jpg

Liverpool's record in all competitive fixtures versus Everton since 2000:

11 wins / 7 draws / 2 defeats

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Liverpool's record in all competitive fixtures versus Everton since 2000:

11 wins / 7 draws / 2 defeats

Evertons record in all competitive fixtures versus Liverpool since 18th Jan 2009

0 wins / 2 draws / 0 defeats

LuckyLlold for mod :D

how ironic considering you're next 7 words display such little football knowledge of your own :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

No forward line and our best two midfielders out. We even played hibbert, a 17 year old and an 18 year old. Still couldnt beat us.

Spend another 200 million and you's wont win the league. Moyesy is a king among men. COYB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

United are Liverpool's biggest rivals, here's some proof.

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s237/st127055.htm

podge018 wrote: »
    United are Liverpool's biggest rivals, here's some proof.

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s237/st127055.htm

ask anyone in liverpool and see what the consensus is.

many fans hate utd because they've won lots recently, nothing to do with a deep tradition of two city rivals. just bitterness really.

in the grand scheme of things that's temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

I think that's what they done in their survey... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Like all teams around the World they're support isn't entirely made up by the location they are in, they are made up of fans from around the World. The majority of Man U and Liverpool fans would say they are their greatest rivals, in recent year Chelsea were United's rivals as they were competing with them for the league and cups mainly. When was the last time Everton competed with Liverpool for anything (bar Sunday) in recent history? The same for City and United. Their "greatest rivals" should be the ones where they are in direct conflict not just for 6 points in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

markos79 wrote: »
    highsider i think your full of ****e,you go over to liverpool and ask any true liverpool supporter what games they look forward to the most and they will say the mersyside derby,everton are the team liverpool want to beat every season and are their biggest rivals and there is alot a years of history to prove it,how can you call a team that finishes in the top 6 a small team,in my opinion i think liverpool will win nothing this year as they simply arent good enough.CMON THE TOFFEES!!!!!!!!!

I disagree.IMO utd are the team most Liverpool fans want to beat . Having spent years in living I Liverpool through the late eighties early nineties I though everton were our biggest rivals that's because everton were competing for top honours regulary . But now utd are the team the team to beat and are the ones who are close to matching our success , while everton is a vastly important game a lot of it's got to do with local pride and a bit of banter at work on Monday morning throgout merseyside. But Liverpool fans in Liverpool only represent a small percentage of Liverpool fans worldwide of which I would say the majority would see utd as our biggest game and fiercest rivals. One thing I have found about the derby is how bitter it has become gone are the days of the so called friendly derby, had many a nervous pint in bozzers outside goddison thru the years and have noticed far greater hostility than years ago but maybe it's just me. I also believe we have a better chance at beating them at goddison where they have to show a bit more going forward and hopefully we can exploit it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

IMO United/Everton 5.15 Saturday as Setanta have no live game.
    Replay Wed live on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So is this thread going to hand around until the replay is over and done with? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

IMO when Liverpool last won the league to make it 18 United only had 7 and when United win it this year they will have 18.
    Just bitter jealously of Manchester's recent history that they wont be able to come back with 18league titles line anymore.
    Any red scouser and friends or family say Everton is the game they always look forward to and they are the main rivals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

astrofool wrote: »
    So is this thread going to hand around until the replay is over and done with? :)

yeah sure why not... unless it gets spoiled before then :P

The best Everton could have hoped for yesterday before the game started was to get the game back to Goodison.

Without Arteta, Felliani, Yakubu, Saha, Vaughan etc, we were missing the creative midfield and striking power up front. It would be like Liverpool losing Gerrard, Alonso and Torres... Arteta and Felliani should be back for the replay, so that will be something at least. Yakubu is out for the season, so we may have to go with Tim Cahill again or a 'not match fit' Saha...

Our midfield yesterday had nothing going forward apart from Pienaar. We had no choice but to play Neville and Castillo who you would only usually have one of, as they play the same position. Osman is too light-weight for the centre midfield position he was playing, but he put in a good display none the less. Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard were always going to dominate there, but I thought that Neville and Castillo did a good enough job containing them. Castillo didn't have that match sharpness and you could see that. Some passes going astray or going to liverpool players, but fair play to him, he put in a good shift and broke down play as he should do with some good tackles etc.

Cahill and Anichebe swapping up front every 15 mins or so also didn't give us much consistency up front, but again the two of them put in great displays.

The defence was superb. I was expecting Liverpool to dominate possession by going back to their tried and tested 4-4-1-1 formation and Everton not having much attacking options.
    Lescott and Jagielka were superb. Baines and Hibbert played really well too. Glad to see Baines get a run in the team and he is starting to show his form of the past few years. With this back 4 in such fine form, Yobo is going to find it hard to earn his place back.

Howard had his usual solid performance and had some great saves. Perhaps he should have done better for the Gerrard goal. I've seen the replays a few times now and I think it was an excellent shot with great pace. Shouldn't have let a gap appear at the near post, but these things happen. The amount of points he has earned us over the past few years, I wouldn't hold anything like this against him...

I have to say though, Rafa has let himself down again with his post game comments. Did he expect Everton to play an open and flowing game with a depleted team and play right into their hands? I don't think so. Why would they? Again it falls in with his comments a few seasons ago after the 0-0 at Anfield, the small club jibe. The man has no dignity, but that is a discussion for another day :P

I don't live in Liverpool, but it seems clear enough that for the international fanbase the rivalry with Utd is of primary concern. It is a long time now since a defeat to Everton directly prevented us from achieving anything - while helping to propel them on to glory. Whereas every game against Utd is key for both sides. One of the pair of us (usually Utd unfortunately) will be challenging for a title - and on occassions where we meet in the cup the winner is sure to become favorite once they have progressed past the tie.

Tradition cannot compensate for competitive irrelevance.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    One of the pair of us (usually Utd unfortunately) will be challenging for a title.
    That is a ridiculous statement. Anyone who's ever challenged for the title can couple them self with Man Utd in a statement like that.

Aside from this season when was the last time Liverpool (realistically) challenged for the title throughout the season (i.e well into the new year and for the run in)?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous statement. Anyone who's ever challenged for the title can couple them self with Man Utd in a statement like that.

Aside from this season when was the last time Liverpool (realistically) challenged for the title throughout the season (i.e well into the new year and for the run in)?

You've missed the point entirely.

We play twice a year, once usually in September / October and once usually in March / April. When that first game is played every year no clear pattern will have developed and we will be in and around top spot along with Utd. It will be a big game because rivalry + competition equals bigness.

When the second game rolls around we may not have locked up CL qualification and they may be going for a title. A win may spoil them, and may mean a fair amount to us. And the game may well mean something in terms of the competitive story of the league for that year. So again, rivalry + competition equals bigness.

All the while you are much more likely to run into Utd fans than Everton fans on a weekly basis because you don't live in Liverpool - which makes games versus Utd seem more important.

Neither of the two losses against Everton over the past decade had a bearing in either of the two teams winning anything. I don't even have crystal clear memories of those games (or of our wins - they blend in together) as they aren't vital. When in that period, I could almost list every result for every year against Man Utd. And I would contend that my perception is somewhat typical for the Liverpool fan not resident in Liverpool...

• Advertisement
Advertisement