Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporarily overstocking aquarium???

Options
  • 23-01-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I recently had to empty my 2 60 litres tank cos iwas getting a new floor in my house. When i was putting the fish back in their tanks, I put all the fish in to one tank so i could put my platy fry in to the other tank alone. They are 3 weeks old now but are quite big (half the size of a neon tetra) So i have the following questions:
    1. Is it ok to temporarily overstock one of the tanks for maybe another week or 2 to give fry time to grow?
    2. Also,would a sucker fish eat my fry?
    3. Seeing as they are almost half the size of my neons, would it be ok to out the neons in to the tank with them now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

wanalulu wrote: »
    I recently had to empty my 2 60 litres tank cos iwas getting a new floor in my house. When i was putting the fish back in their tanks, I put all the fish in to one tank so i could put my platy fry in to the other tank alone. They are 3 weeks old now but are quite big (half the size of a neon tetra) So i have the following questions:
    1. Is it ok to temporarily overstock one of the tanks for maybe another week or 2 to give fry time to grow?
    2. Also,would a sucker fish eat my fry?
    3. Seeing as they are almost half the size of my neons, would it be ok to out the neons in to the tank with them now?

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite + nitrate. If that's all ok and your fish aren't beating each other up - then there's no problem.

2. No

3. Yes

Disclaimer: Not an expert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Generally it is OK to overstock for a short period.. but you should be carrying out more regular water changes.
    If possible, add one of the filters from the other tanks for extra mechanical filtration. This should also help keep that filters biological bacteria alive.

If this post is too late, and your other filters are already dried out you will have to keep in mind that they will need to be re-cycled. The benificial bacteria that live in the filter will be dead if it has been left to dry out, resulting in new-tank syndrome.
    These bacteria will need time to build back up before adding fish back to the aquarium again.

See This Article on cycling a freshwater aquarium
    You will need to keep this in mind when setting the tanks back up again.

re: Your Platty fry.
    If the plattys are bigger than a mouthful then they should be fine with the other fish (i.e the Tetras).
    Most Catfish are scavengers and not really predatory so that should also be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Ask the experts www.irishfishforum.com they can answer anything on fish

Advertisement