Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic boxer refused entry to nightclub

Options
  • 23-01-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Francie Barrett

Any idea which nightclub it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

And this is newsworthy why?

I'd say there's 100's of people in Galway alone who get refused into nightclubs on a weekly basis, what makes good oul' Francie so different?

Y'know it makes me laugh, travellers are always demaning to be treated 'just like everyone else' - then when they ARE treated like everyone else they go nuts on the discrimination line and go straight to the media

FFS, if I get refused from a pub next week, straight to the Indo I go! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Any idea which nightclub it was?

The TF (Traveller Friendly), Castlebar? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well to be fair... what if it was discrimination?

There's a difference between being refused from a nightclub because you're drunk and because you're from a certain ethnic background.

I think most people would agree that the former is ok, and the latter isn't.

Caveat here: I didn't read the article, I'm making a general point...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Looks like I've touched a nerve. I was only curious about which nightclub it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Sure he's old. If it was cp's he would have a case for age discrimination but if it was GPO then he had to be hammered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

<controversial comment>

What if it was actually discrimination? I'm from a small town in Co. Galway and i've seen the place shut down for travellers weddings/funerals. There was a riot here with slash hooks and stanley knives, the whole she-bang. It was like the frickin wild west. There was literally blood on the streets.

There was a funeral here last year, and they had to leave ten grand behind the bar on the only pub that would serve them as a deposit (apparently).

Not all travellers are involved in this, but this is what gets them the bad name, and subsequent discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

@Capt Darling

I worked in a pub in a country village before and the day before a traveller funeral we had the cops come in and tell us to stay closed for the day. So in that case it was the Guards telling the publicans to close to avoid trouble.

kayos wrote: »
    @Capt Darling

I worked in a pub in a country village before and the day before a traveller funeral we had the cops come in and tell us to stay closed for the day. So in that case it was the Guards telling the publicans to close to avoid trouble.

Probably is like that here too. Theres a hotel down the road from me that occasionally has mid week traveller weddings, and theres a noticeable Garda presence around the town on these occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Who says it was discrimination anyway?

He might have had a few too many or whatever. Some bouncers refuse people entry for apparently no reason.

See the problem with Travelers is that all the discrimination they get is largely their own fault. If they want people to view them differently, then they should change the way they are.

Also I thought it was funny reading in some Galway newspaper about how someone scrawling graffiti on their caravans is a sign of how racism is alive and well.

Travelers are their own race now?

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Who says it was discrimination anyway?

He might have had a few too many or whatever. Some bouncers refuse people entry for apparently no reason.
    Thats very true, but i wonder was he with a group of travellers, or was he individually singled out, that could be more to the point methinks. If it was a group, then the possible allegations of discrimination would hold more water. Its easier, for bouncers, to refuse an individual (imo) on the grounds of drunkeness than a whole group of people,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

There's a difference between being refused from a nightclub because you're drunk and because you're from a certain ethnic background.

I think most people would agree that the former is ok, and the latter isn't.

The irony is, while most people will agree like you say, most people would stop going to a bar that serves Members of the Travelling Community (MotTC).

I've worked in plenty of places where the unwritten policy was to refuse MotTC, its the attitudes of people that aren't MotTC as well as the occasional Wedding/Funeral debacle that makes it so hard for them to get in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I agree with above posts. If a sound traveller comes up to the door of a nightclub and gets in, word will spread. Next Saturday you will have ten travellers try to get in ( as was the case, and we ended up having to deal with a rowdy group of travellers who came back with slash hooks, why on earth would anybody let this happen again. its easier to deal with one refused traveller than an army of them with weapons), and when you get a group like that there is always a few bad eggs. No nightclub would let a group if 10 regular house dwelling folks in, so why should it be any different for them. But you will not let them in because of teh bad publicity also. If you read about a guy in the local papers court reports who is up in court for stabbing some one. You won't let him in. as per travellers, you read about their family fights, bare knuckle fights, bragging on prime time about it, slash hooks, destroying places.....They are a disgrace to themselves, and its their own fault.
    I have sympathy for the sound ones. They should cut all ties with their background, and start afresh for themselves. Its harsh but they have only their own ethnic group to blame.

The casual bigotry on display here is nauseating.

In before the motherf*cking lock.

Well you're welcome to discuss if you can get off your pious high horse.:pac:

Do I look down on bigots?

You're goddamn right I do.

Right on brother.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I hope you don't regard my post as bigotry. It is not that I am intolerent of their beliefs, (which is what i believe bigotry is).But when I have personally had to deal with traveller violence, and watch them threaten an old man saying they will come round to his house and beat him up some night. That is what I am criticising. I make it clear that the bad eggs ruin it for everyone. If they chose to live their lifestyle I have no problem with that, but the manner in which many of them behave is not reflective of their beliefs or lifestyles, its just thuggery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yeah sorry about the Tom Cruise bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

This only becomes a story when you point out that francis barret is
    A/ a traveller
    B/ a former olympian

otherwise the media wouldn't print this story because as they would have to fill their pages with

some bar has refused some person for every bar\nightclub with a doorman everywhere in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

But why is this news, seriously?

It was the first thing on Galwaybay FM this morning (I know, my own fault for listening...) - so many people are refused entry to nightclubs every day of the week, why do they have to make this 8 am breaking news??? Just because yer man is "famous"?

(and before anyone can say anything - I don't care who yer man is or why he was refused - I just don't get why they feel the need to call this stuff 'news'and blow it out of proportion).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I believe from the Irish Times article that he was stopped because his dress code was not in order.

Great publicity for Francie..cue a claim for compo to the Equality Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Tom Cruise, Prince Harry, Julianne Moore, then Gary Glitter???:eek:

From travellers to Gary Glitter. WTF is going on???:eek:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    From travellers to Gary Glitter. WTF is going on???:eek:

This casual humour is nauseating!

Spoken like someone suitably sheltered from reality! What would you do differently?

Spoken like someone suitably sheltered from reality! What would you do differently?

This apparently:

Fight da powah!

Differently?

I wouldn't judge a person by the actions of others from the same community/religion/race/sexual orientation etc...

I wouldn't say that in order to get a drink in a pub someone should 'cut all ties' with their background...

ffs everyone on this board would rightly be up in arms if somebody said these things about someone based on their skin colour, but it's ok because we're talking about travellers?

It's the same attitude that gave the world 'no irish need apply' signs, because in fairness it's better to refuse one sound irishman than risk hiring a thick wife beating potato munching drunk...

• Advertisement

Differently?

I wouldn't judge a person by the actions of others from the same community/religion/race/sexual orientation etc...
    Very easy to say when your lifelihood doesn't depend on it. I don't think anybody is comfortable with pre-meditated discrimination, it reflects the way the world works unfortunately.
    ffs everyone on this board would rightly be up in arms if somebody said these things about someone based on their skin colour, but it's ok because we're talking about travellers?

Don't get me wrong, the spirit of what you're saying is 100% right, its reprehensible, but having been the wrong side of enough scraps to have seen the actuality of what can happen, the benefit of the doubt got thinner with each incident until there is none left.
    It's the same attitude that gave the world 'no irish need apply' signs, because in fairness it's better to refuse one sound irishman than risk hiring a thick wife beating potato munching drunk...

agreed. How did that change I wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement