Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic boxer refused entry to nightclub

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

People are getting very worked up.

According to reports the bouncer stopped him as he was not dressed properly.

Now most door bouncers are foreign so there is a good chance that this bouncer was too and prob had no idea who Francie Barrett was..well..not that he is anyone in particular but just so happens to be from a "Traveller" background.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I used to get hassle from bouncers in one nightclub because of my name. I was held back while my friends went ahead and asked about my name, family where I'm from, whether I was the "good" or "bad" family etc I just thought it was funny although it was a bit ridiculous.
    Doesn't happen anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

schween wrote: »
    I used to get hassle from bouncers in one nightclub because of my name. I was held back while my friends went ahead and asked about my name, family where I'm from, whether I was the "good" or "bad" family etc I just thought it was funny although it was a bit ridiculous.

why whats ya name ?? (bin laden ??):rolleyes:

and what you roll up too a club , with a name tag or something????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Stink of karma off that.

i.e. Wore runners

and being a knack it doesnt surprise me that he still wears nike airs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

yeah karma are terrible for doing that, lets blame karma for this whole situation....I remember I use to wear nike air max when they were cool and not skangery or chav. They are an excellent runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

schween wrote: »

Well if i had a club there'd certainly be no Schween's allowed in. Bad folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I presume no one knows the nightclub in question.
    The thread is 3 pages long and no one has replied to my original question.

From people talking about how travellers are treated to tom cruise and gary glitter.

Differently?

I wouldn't judge a person by the actions of others from the same community/religion/race/sexual orientation etc...

I wouldn't say that in order to get a drink in a pub someone should 'cut all ties' with their background...

ffs everyone on this board would rightly be up in arms if somebody said these things about someone based on their skin colour, but it's ok because we're talking about travellers?

It's the same attitude that gave the world 'no irish need apply' signs, because in fairness it's better to refuse one sound irishman than risk hiring a thick wife beating potato munching drunk...

The fact is travelers want to be treated equally. In my opinion this means not getting headline news when one gets turned away from a bar especially when we do not know the actual reason it could just as easily be for dress code or being drunk and I know almost everybody has been turned away from places at least once for no reason at all i.e. not drunk and dressed for the venue and yet its not in the national newspapers and on the radio.

Equality means being treated the same in all situations not running for the media etc every time something goes against them.

As I have said on other threads before there are some sound travelers but there are an awful lot of trouble makers also as the events in A&E have recently highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I presume no one knows the nightclub in question.
    The thread is 3 pages long and no one has replied to my original question.

From people talking about how travellers are treated to tom cruise and gary glitter.

Yeah but you do realise this is the Galway City forum, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

He said himself on the Radio it was Club 903 - So it was first mentioned on Galway Bay FM and not on boards.ie

• Advertisement

sgthighway wrote: »
    He said himself on the Radio it was Club 903 - So it was first mentioned on Galway Bay FM and not on boards.ie

He was lucky so I would rather be turned away than have to go into cuba or bar 903!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nelsonvivas

I realise this is my first post here but i said i may aswel throw my two cents in seeing that I was actually in the smoking area in Cuba at the time!

I dont know why the bouncer refused your man(he actually seemed awful funny about lettin us in aswel!) but I saw Barret got really thick with him and throw him a headbutt. Then he tore off his top and started trying to scrap all of the bouncers in cuba aswel. Screaming at the top of his lungs that he was going to kill them. It was nuts. Not at all what i read in the papers today.... Makes me really thick. Cert he is only trying to promote his new film

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cert he is only trying to promote his new film
    I thought the same thing when I was reading the story in the Times at lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I feel his pain. When you're from Dublin and in the countryside, you become an honourary traveller.

I remember being in a pool hall in Glaway a while ago. It was full of blokes from Dublin and tavellers. I asked one of the traveller guys about it, and he said it's where all the people in Galway go when they've been refused entry to nightclubs.

Glad I didn't get in anyway. Full of blokes wearing their "good jumper" lol

I realise this is my first post here but i said i may aswel throw my two cents in seeing that I was actually in the smoking area in Cuba at the time!

I dont know why the bouncer refused your man(he actually seemed awful funny about lettin us in aswel!) but I saw Barret got really thick with him and throw him a headbutt. Then he tore off his top and started trying to scrap all of the bouncers in cuba aswel. Screaming at the top of his lungs that he was going to kill them. It was nuts. Not at all what i read in the papers today.... Makes me really thick. Cert he is only trying to promote his new film

I can't understand why FB and the Promoter would say live on the radio that there was no violence by either party and then for you to come along on your first post and say that FB threw the bouncer a headbutt. FB named the venue and there is no way he would say there was no violence if there was. He is hardly that stupid.

sgthighway wrote: »
    I can't understand why FB and the Promoter would say live on the radio that there was no violence by either party and then for you to come along on your first post and say that FB threw the bouncer a headbutt. FB named the venue and there is no way he would say there was no violence if there was. He is hardly that stupid.

TBH he prob is that stupid.

"Attack is the best form of defence"- He is getting his story in first and that puts the bouncer/club immediately on the back foot.

A pre-emptive strike if you will plus it announces to everyone he is back. A nice pay out to look forward via the Equality Tribunal. And some other goon from England there to back his story up.

No he definitely head butted him.
    There were quite a few around aswel so Im sure the full story will come out soon. Not sure why he would say there was no violence by either party. He didnt shut up about bringing vans of people up to fight them and to be honest, it went on for about 3-4 minutes. Has the nightclub said anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

bearclaire wrote: »
    and what you roll up too a club , with a name tag or something????

Yeah, it's not like people get asked for ID into clubs or anything...

No he definitely head butted him.
    There were quite a few around aswel so Im sure the full story will come out soon. Not sure why he would say there was no violence by either party. He didnt shut up about bringing vans of people up to fight them and to be honest, it went on for about 3-4 minutes. Has the nightclub said anything?

Mate you should let Cuba know that you saw everything and willing to back them up.

Free entry and drink for life??:D Think about it

yeah and then a former olympic boxers rolls up and breaks your face outside court..... no thanks!!!

• Advertisement

yeah and then a former olympic boxers rolls up and breaks your face outside court..... no thanks!!!

Good chance it would never get that far. Plus in front of 20 cops he is hardly going to attack you..doesnt do him any harm..and if he does hit you...compo central...go on a nice holiday.:D

If the above comments a true; Somebody is going to get screwed here -> FB or BAR903. Possible jail for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I agree with above posts. If a sound traveller comes up to the door of a nightclub and gets in, word will spread. Next Saturday you will have ten travellers try to get in ( as was the case, and we ended up having to deal with a rowdy group of travellers who came back with slash hooks, why on earth would anybody let this happen again. its easier to deal with one refused traveller than an army of them with weapons), and when you get a group like that there is always a few bad eggs. No nightclub would let a group if 10 regular house dwelling folks in, so why should it be any different for them. But you will not let them in because of teh bad publicity also. If you read about a guy in the local papers court reports who is up in court for stabbing some one. You won't let him in. as per travellers, you read about their family fights, bare knuckle fights, bragging on prime time about it, slash hooks, destroying places.....They are a disgrace to themselves, and its their own fault.
    I have sympathy for the sound ones. They should cut all ties with their background, and start afresh for themselves. Its harsh but they have only their own ethnic group to blame.

Wow. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Cert he is only trying to promote his new film

Turned on i102 on the way home and heard himself on it on about the film. He is so sure that he is going to get a oscar for this film. Ok, it may be good but don't think any Irish film maker goes into a film knowing they have the oscar in the bag!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Right, so the usual speculation, conjecture, point, counter-point, offense taken, people pulling on their academic caps.

Let the courts sort it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement