Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big outage in the eircom network

Options
  • 23-01-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I hear that there are a few large capacity fibre links down within the eircom network at the moment. Likely to cause slow down on some DSL traffic. Not related to the issues they had yesterday evening with the DNS servers.

Just letting you all know in case you see problems with your connection speeds today - I know that they are working on getting the situation stabilised and restoring the connections.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

over 50% packet loss for the last hour here in meath, seems fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

What we were seeing last night was indeed DNS server issues, but these were compounded by underlying routing issues (the dns servers couldn't reach the internet root servers so could provide IP's etc)

Subsequently we noticed that we simply couldn't reach various parts of the internet (esp the US), sites like facebook and amazon amongst others

This settled down overnight, but at work we're observing issues connecting to various government departments over the Government network... and indeed this does seem to be network related from the feedback we're getting from eircom's network people...

I'm updating what I see on twitter - search for eircom or #eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Noticed my speeds have become eratic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

couldnt get onto ros earlier (kept timing out till i changed dns server addresses seems to be ok now (donegal town) speedtest seems to go in jumps not smoothly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for the update guys. The connection was terrible in Sligo last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

speeds here at my Job on our Eircom lines have become really irratic also over the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

its bad here in cork too...nothing short of disgraceful tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

we were told at 12 that the routing issues had been fixed...

I was just passed the message a few minutes ago(!)

seems to reflect reality...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

davork wrote: »
    we were told at 12 that the routing issues had been fixed...

I was just passed the message a few minutes ago(!)

seems to reflect reality...

My sources confirmed that the problems (and there were a few different ones going on) were all sorted out earlier this afternoon. Should be ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I nearly had a fit with the computer over it Thursday night!

Was that a DNS server problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Anyone else still having problems? The connection seems to be all over the place here in Dublin. No timed out pages but there's a noticeable decrease in speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks Grommet .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Had no phone or broadband for about 3 hours last night. May not be related. All working fine again though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sarn wrote: »
    Anyone else still having problems? The connection seems to be all over the place here in Dublin. No timed out pages but there's a noticeable decrease in speed.

Im getting terrible DL speeds at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

hey would this be affecting BT customers too? my speeds are
    slow as s**t today :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Uthur wrote: »
    hey would this be affecting BT customers too? my speeds are
    slow as s**t today :(

Yep I am BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Must also affect UTV too, as my XBOX and PS3 where both giving me connection errors so I went and bought a new router, DOH! Only to see the post from Grommet...thanks Grommet as I was pulling my hair out, convinced it was my problem as no-one had posted any issues.

My speed go from 400k to 4.5Mb on the same speedtest, jumping all over the place, are you folks having the same issue?

Must also affect UTV too, as my XBOX and PS3 where both giving me connection errors so I went and bought a new router, DOH! Only to see the post from Grommet...thanks Grommet as I was pulling my hair out, convinced it was my problem as no-one had posted any issues.

My speed go from 400k to 4.5Mb on the same speedtest, jumping all over the place, are you folks having the same issue?

I am on a 8MB connection, and my speed will no go above 1MB at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Same here 300ms to 400ms on the first hop

Advertisement