Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macro extension tube?

• 23-01-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Has anybody any experience of using a Macro extension tube? Obviously they’re no comparison to a proper macro lens but I’m only after getting my first DSLR and don’t think I could just the price of a proper macro lens just yet. Will it give me a decent macro function for now?

I seen cheap extension tubes on Amazon, but they were charging twice the price of the tube just to ship. So I bought one from hong kong via ebay. €10 all in! The girlfriend has just told me that theres a package to be collected at the mail centre this evening – I’m not waiting on anything else:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Tubes are typically pretty decent. Since there's no glass, it all depends on the lens that you're using them with. In lieu of a dedicated macro lens, you'll be well off with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

check on dealextreme or focalprice, cheap as chips, but I didn't give them much use as I don't do much macro

remember you'll have to focus manually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

quilmore wrote: »
    check on dealextreme or focalprice, cheap as chips, but I didn't give them much use as I don't do much macro

remember you'll have to focus manually

In my limited experience i've always had to manual focus in macro using my older bridge camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Sounds like you got the fully manual one - it'll do the job just fine, but the results will depend on which lens you use it with - if you have a prime, ideally the 50mm f1.8, that'll be just dandy. If you've just got your dslr a fast 50mm should be high up there on your shopping list anyway :D

If you do a search for extension tubes on this forum you'll come up with tons of stuff. Promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

up to recently I had a tamron 90mm (I still miss it, gave it as part exchange for serious glass) and the autofocus, specially the continuous focus was very handy for handheld and flowers macro
    In my limited experience i've always had to manual focus in macro using my older bridge camera

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Extension tubes are a great way to experiment with macro without having to commit to a relatively expensive macro lense. They are quite easy to use, and as Elvyn said, if you use them with a 50mm 1.8 you'll do just fine(dandy). ;)

On another point, I wouldn't worry too much about not being to auto focus. I never (well v.v.rearly) use auto focus. You can focus by moving the camera slowly in and out till you get an accurate focus.

Hope this helps. :)

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Extension tubes are a great low cost way to start experimenting with Macros. I've taken a good few with my Canon 450d and Canon 50mm f/1.8.

All these were taken with that setup - to give you a sense of what you can achieve. Link to slideshow of the same shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

Have to get me some of those for my 50mm 1.4.

Any types/brands to be avoided or recommended??? Think I'll be messing about with plants, insects etc - run of the mill macro stuff...

lukeod wrote: »
    Have to get me some of those for my 50mm 1.4.

Any types/brands to be avoided or recommended??? Think I'll be messing about with plants, insects etc - run of the mill macro stuff...

I guess not. Kenko Air is as good as Canon Air... :)

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I got one from eBay for a couple euro and it does the job. Quality shouldn't really be an issue as all it really does is put space between the sensor and the lens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

That's what I was thinking. Seems that for once in photography, I can search by price in ascending order...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

m_stan wrote: »
    Extension tubes are a great low cost way to start experimenting with Macros. I've taken a good few with my Canon 450d and Canon 50mm f/1.8.

All these were taken with that setup - to give you a sense of what you can achieve. Link to slideshow of the same shots.

Thanks for the link. Some lovely photos there - even prompted me to try my own version of the beer bottle tops;)
    lukeod wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. Seems that for once in photography, I can search by price in ascending order...!
    I got mine from a ebay shop called johncamerastore. It was delivered from hong kong within the week. It came with a great wee pouch bag with a velcro seal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I got one of these this week. Haven't had much chance to use it yet, but plan to give it a go this weekend. Costs $9.94 which worked out at €7.74 and no postage charges.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Can anyone tell me what is better, a macro extension tube or a macro filter??? Whats the difference and what would ye recommend???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I understand macro filter as a simple magnifying glass attached to the front of your lens, with all optical faults that magnifying glass offers.
    Extension tubes extend the optical path of the light and move focal point of the light without any intervence with the rays of light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

So the extension tube would be better then, I think I will buy the one off DealExtreme . . . . .

The inconvenience you suffer with extension tubes is the fall off of light. The more tubes you have on the camera the darker the image will be. So you need to compensate with longershutter speeds. This may inevitably lead to camera shake and less sharp images.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

With the €10 ones you loose the ability to auto focus. For macro photography, it's not such a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Would you use an extension tube with a macro lense?? I'm thinking of ordering a macro lense and just wondering whether I should order an extension tube while I'm at it???? Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

With the cheaper ones you'll also have to set the aperture without the extension tubes on and remove the lens with the DOF preview button pressed and the camera turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Can the depth of focus on the extension tubes be changed or must that be done before attaching the tubes?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

swingking wrote: »
    Can the depth of focus on the extension tubes be changed or must that be done before attaching the tubes?

Must be done before attaching the tubes by setting the aperture.

Advertisement