Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo's Public Transport

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

tuppence wrote: »
    Yea for the western rail corridor too! And fair play to Duncan Stewart (again) for promoting it. It make sense, beats congestion, promoting tourism, haulage and jobs, reconnecting the west. The lack of development of rail in favour of roads has been a travesty. I hope they dont drop it down the priority list with the recession. It would be so short sighted. They certainly might try and loose the last leg of it cos I reckon thats going to be more expensive. (Think there a bridge or two they have to build.) Anyway with the local elections coming up perhaps its something that we can remind politicians about.

I agree 100%. To help the viability of the railway and public transport, facilities like shops should be not too far from the stations....who was the genius planner for example that allowed Carraroe retail part be located far from both Sligo and Collooney stations ? When petrol is 10 euro a litre in 25 years time we will regret it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

bobcar61 wrote: »
    And it's only going to get worse for us Sligo folk.I never take the bus either or the train for that matter because as you say it is cheaper to drive and its quicker.
    And it's only going to get worse for us Sligo folk.
    CIE have announced that they are going to reduce their fleet of buses at depots around the country and Sligo is amongst them.Fewer routes available and less frequency will be the outcome.

However there must be some people taking the train,1.34 million people used the Dublin-Sligo train service last year making it the 3rd busiest in the country.

Well competition is the lifeblood of trade and hopefully some private bus operators will step in and fill the GAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

elshambo wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    You want them to close unprofitable routes that dont affect you
    and open more unprofitable routes that do affect you?
    :

Yes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I went to Dublin by train yesterday and came home today.
    They don't do a next day return anymore:rolleyes: so it cost me 128 euro for me and the two kids:mad:....madness...stupid me for not checking it out before yesterday or I'd have driven...or flown.

magnumlady wrote: »
    They don't do a next day return anymore:rolleyes: so it cost me 128 euro for me and the two kids:mad:....madness...stupid me for not checking it out before yesterday or I'd have driven...or flown.

The ticketing system is bizarre alright... it seems to be set-up to put people off taking the train. €128 is absolutely absurd.

• Advertisement

The ticketing system is bizarre alright... it seems to be set-up to put people off taking the train. €128 is absolutely absurd.

I reckon for that price I've bought shares in the bloody train:mad:
    I wouldn't mind if we had to go up for anything nice, it was a blooming hospital appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

*cough* *splutter* WHAT!! It's cheaper to get the train from Scotland to London in 6 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I know you dont like coaches magnumlady but it would have been 40 odd euro return for you and 2 kids on the coach........at least 70 euro cheaper?

daithijjj wrote: »
    I know you dont like coaches magnumlady but it would have been 40 odd euro return for you and 2 kids on the coach........at least 70 euro cheaper?

If I'd had realised it was that expensive on the train I might well have given the coach a try...oh well I'm much wiser now...and broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

daithijjj wrote: »

how do the journeys compare timewise to dublin city centre -do you need a luas connection etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

CDfm wrote: »
    how do the journeys compare timewise to dublin city centre -do you need a luas connection etc

Havent got the train since the 90s but it was freezing on it.......and expensive...never again.

I dont get the coach too often but normally i go on the 3.35pm.......it stops in longford for 10 mins but you can just hop on the direct bus from there and get to oconnell street for 6.30ish..........i have friends who pick me up from there so i dont know much about luas connections, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

tuppence wrote: »
    Speaking of which re the train service to Sligo. Is there still no train thats get people from the hinterlands in for 9am? Just the early bird one to Dublin. :confused:That seems like something that loads of people from Ballymote, colloney, Carrick could use to work in Sligo. Dont understand why they dont but then all roads and rails seem to cater for Dublin.:rolleyes:

The earliest train from Dublin hits Sligo at 10.10. Kinda silly that!
    Even if they ran a limited service from say Carrick to Sligo only in the mornings but again you would have to prove that there would be a demand for it.

If they put on just one train leaving Carrick at say 7.30 it would be in Sligo for 8.30. Run an ad in the local press saying they are doing this on a trial basis for a week or two and see if there is demand.
    Would anyone here use it if they lived in Ballymote, Collooney, Boyle or Carrick and choose to leave the car behind?
    I would if I did!
    Shame Tubber isn't on the line though. As sligo's next biggest regional town i'm sure there'd be a demand.

The first bus eireann bus to come through Tubbercurry bound for Sligo is around 10.50 which is crazy!

A couple of simple changes could make a huge diff IMHO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote: »
    The earliest train from Dublin hits Sligo at 10.10. Kinda silly that!
    Even if they ran a limited service from say Carrick to Sligo only in the mornings but again you would have to prove that there would be a demand for it.

If they put on just one train leaving Carrick at say 7.30 it would be in Sligo for 8.30. Run an ad in the local press saying they are doing this on a trial basis for a week or two and see if there is demand.
    Would anyone here use it if they lived in Ballymote, Collooney, Boyle or Carrick and choose to leave the car behind?
    I would if I did!
    Shame Tubber isn't on the line though. As sligo's next biggest regional town i'm sure there'd be a demand.

The first bus eireann bus to come through Tubbercurry bound for Sligo is around 10.50 which is crazy!

A couple of simple changes could make a huge diff IMHO!

Yes indeed they should have a pilot and see if a demand is generated. Would reckon a trial would need to be for a few months or so but sounds like a good idea. The demand is certainly there for the increased timetable and for the commuters that use it in the east. I reckon if you were to provide it, it would generate its own demand. Alot of people would be happy to ditch there cars. Imagine not caught in the rush hour. :) Of course they would have to look into reasonable fares for weekly commuting.....

I heard a fella in Tubbercurry getting offered a job, he had to turn it down because the bus arrived in Sligo so late....its madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

A foreign industrialist told me he thought it was mad how the Irish government encouraged houses to be built in outlying places like Coolaney and Tubbercurry ( through the use of tax incentives etc ), when it made more sense to have the houses built in the gateway city of Sligo, close to the factories and transport hub ( rail, air , road etc ) and other services ( hospital , etc )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

jimmmy wrote: »
    A foreign industrialist told me he thought it was mad how the Irish government encouraged houses to be built in outlying places like Coolaney and Tubbercurry ( through the use of tax incentives etc ), when it made more sense to have the houses built in the gateway city of Sligo, close to the factories and transport hub ( rail, air , road etc ) and other services ( hospital , etc )

Add to that ive heard an awful lot of people are not happy living out in "the sticks" but are stuck there now!

A good plan all round then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

jimmmy wrote: »

Aye but in sligo every one objects against almost everything, which makes progress really hard and slow. Smaller towns are often a bit easier. and the fact that people want everyrhing in the middle of a town which was not made for traffic doesnt help.

Doesnt mean they cannot insist that developers make sure there are enough ammineties and public transport. This is common practice in most country's in europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Aye but in sligo every one objects against almost everything, which makes progress really hard and slow. Smaller towns are often a bit easier. and the fact that people want everyrhing in the middle of a town which was not made for traffic doesnt help.

Doesnt mean they cannot insist that developers make sure there are enough ammineties and public transport. This is common practice in most country's in europe

Doesn't mean their going to either though

elshambo wrote: »
    Add to that ive heard an awful lot of people are not happy living out in "the sticks" but are stuck there now!

A good plan all round then!

Come to Coolaney for a visit & you will see the smiles of contentment on all the happy villagers... I swear, you can almost smell the joy in the air. :D

Come to Coolaney for a visit & you will see the smiles of contentment on all the happy villagers... I swear, you can almost smell the joy in the air. :D

I can smell something but it deffo ain't joy:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement