Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very young pup in heat?

Options
  • 23-01-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

We've had our 3 month old pup for about a month. She was very easy to housetrain and apart from a few little accidents, has been clean at night (going from about midnight to 6am now) almost since she arrived.

The last three nights, she has left droppings in the utility room where she sleeps. The first two nights, I thought maybe her tummy was upset. Last night I got up at 3am and brought her out to the garden, where she did her business.

When we came back inside I noticed little blood spots. This morning (7am), she had poo'd inside again, despite having gone at 3am and there was a tiny bit of blood on one of the stools. Is it possible she is in heat at this age? Or is there a problem with her digestion? Nothing has changed in her feed, environment etc as far as I know.

And if it is heat, would that explain not holding on a long as she used to?

I know messing at night at her age is not a big deal, it's just that it's unusual for her. And three nights in a row kind of makes it a pattern.

Any advice appreciated, as I'm worried. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Sounds like you should get the pup to the vet.
    Seems very young for heat and if it has only started occuring recently when the dog goes to the toilet outside of it's normal pattern then it could be more of a digestion problem.
    You could ring the vet, explain the problem and ask if you should bring the dog in. I've got advice from vets over the phone on numerous occasions so it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

3 months is too young for it to be in heat! It could be digestion problems, constipation, worms etc! If it was in heat blood should be very obvious in the vulval region and not the anus!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Take her to the vet, it could be something like her system disagreeing with the food you have her on, digestion problems, or there could be something wrong.
    Is her stool solid or soft/runny? In any case, take her to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Vet, certainly ...and quickly (as in today)!

(blood from the heat would normally be nowhere near the stool, and blood in the stool means vet)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

get her checked out blood in her stools doesnt sound great .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Had our pup at the vet for vaccinations last weekend and we were asked loads of general health questions as the vet gave her the one over. One of the questions was about bleeding/bloody in/near poo as that would very much be a problem.

I hope you got her to the vet sharpish today and she's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

hopefully it is just bad case of worms, and nothing more sinister, hope your puppy will be ok.
    mossie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blither

Thanks everyone for the advice (and :o on the heat confusion - I'm new to this!) .... Just to let you know I took pup to vet and the vet said most likely she'd come into contact with parvovirus but as she'd been vaccinated, it was messing with her system without making her too sick.

She gave her antibiotics (and a worm dose just in case) and we've seen an improvement, though she's not back to normal totally yet.

V glad I took her to be seen quickly anyway, so thanks for your help.

Advertisement