Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Xbox Live

• 23-01-2009 3:52pm

Hey, I only recently discovered that our NTL is actually working in the new house I've moved into. I want to use Xbox live, but for some reason anytime I test the connection it fails at the network connection. Tested the connection using my laptop and it seems to be working fine.

I have the IP settings put to automatic, the IP address is 169.254.172.69, the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and the gateway is 0.0.0.0

The DNS settings are set to automatic and both the primary and secondary DNS servers are 0.0.0.0.

Should I change these manually? And if so, what should I change them to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

This has happened with my Live before too. The whole 169 thing, but laptop picked up a good IP no problem.

A power cycle of all devices, modem, router (if applicable) and Xbox, did the trick for me.

thudd wrote: »
    This has happened with my Live before too. The whole 169 thing, but laptop picked up a good IP no problem.

A power cycle of all devices, modem, router (if applicable) and Xbox, did the trick for me.

There is no router, it's connected straight from modem-xbox 360 via ethernet cable.

By power cycle do you mean switching each off and on again?

lol. Yeah, thats exactly what I mean! Make sure to turn the modem off first, then xbox.

Wait 30 secs or so.

Then, turn on modem, wait for the lights to start blinking etc, then switch on 360.

Worth a try anyway.

EDIT: Also, be sure to have ethernet cable connected from modem to 360 when you are switching both devices back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

You should match up the DNS settings with those of your laptop when its connected..

lol. Yeah, thats exactly what I mean! Make sure to turn the modem off first, then xbox.

Wait 30 secs or so.

Then, turn on modem, wait for the lights to start blinking etc, then switch on 360.

Worth a try anyway.

Excellent. Thanks very much. It's all working now!

You're a star!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

169.254.172.69, the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and the gateway is 0.0.0.0

xboxes or pcs usually pick up the above when theres an network issue

your gateway should never be 0.0.0.0

and 169.254 is a common error address, see http://www.google.ie/search?q=169.254+ip

lately NTL addresses are in the 79.97.xx.yy range

I had them set to that because it was the only way for me to connect to xbox live using my 3data modem with an ethernet cable from laptop-xbox. That worked too, only the connection was nowhere near fast enough to do anything worthwhile; plus their 10gig usage cap ****ed with me a lot!

np dude. Enjoy!

np dude. Enjoy!

I can't get over how fast it is! I'm downloading the new F.E.A.R 2 demo and it's on 20% already. Usually by this time it'd only be on 2% with my 3 modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Dont know much about the NTL modem but can you set up Static IPs and port forwarding etc like you can on an ADSL modem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement