Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel backed by army of cyber-soldiers

Options
  • 23-01-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article693911.ece

WHILE Israel fights Hezbollah with tanks and aircraft, its supporters are campaigning on the internet.

Israel’s Government has thrown its weight behind efforts by supporters to counter what it believes to be negative bias and a tide of pro-Arab propaganda. The Foreign Ministry has ordered trainee diplomats to track websites and chatrooms so that networks of US and European groups with hundreds of thousands of Jewish activists can place supportive messages.

In the past week nearly 5,000 members of the World Union of Jewish Students (WUJS) have downloaded special “megaphone” software that alerts them to anti-Israeli chatrooms or internet polls to enable them to post contrary viewpoints. A student team in Jerusalem combs the web in a host of different languages to flag the sites so that those who have signed up can influence an opinion survey or the course of a debate.

Jonny Cline, of the international student group, said that Jewish students and youth groups with their understanding of the web environment were ideally placed to present another side to the debate.

“We’re saying to these people that if Israel is being bashed, don’t ignore it, change it,” Mr Cline said. “A poll like CNN’s takes just a few seconds to vote in, but if thousands take part the outcome will be changed. What’s vital is that the international face of the conflict is balanced.”

Doron Barkat, 29, in Jerusalem, spends long nights trawling the web to try to swing the debate Israel’s way. “When I see internet polls for or against Israel I send out a mailing list to vote for Israel,” he said. “It can be that after 15 minutes there will be 400 votes for Israel.

“It’s very satisfying. There are also forums where Lebanese and Israelis talk.”

Israel’s Foreign Ministry must avoid direct involvement with the campaign but is in contact with international Jewish and evangelical Christian groups, distributing internet information packs.

Amir Gissin, the Israeli Foreign Ministry’s public relations director, said: “The internet’s become a leading tool for news, shaping the world view of millions. Our problem is the foreign media shows Lebanese suffering, but not Israeli. We’re bypassing that filter by distributing pictures showing how northern Israelis suffer from Katyusha rocket attacks.”

Click here for more on the blogs of war

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

wish they were more concerned about actually living in peace with the palestinians rather than improving their name over the Internet. Israeli priorities all screwed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

there's plenty of them here on boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

yes Im a cyber soilder Aluf Arik Rabin
    theres even a picture of me here somewheres see if you can find it.

now to find and dystroy those Hamas soilders who have penetrated here they come in all shapes and sizes and were last seen masquerading as caring Irish pro palestinian activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

OLD News.

If you bother to check the existing anti-Israeli threads you'll find this already posted. but you won't have bothered to check that Iran has an army of bloggers posting anti-Israeli misinformation and lies would you?

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    yes Im a cyber soilder Aluf Arik Rabin
    theres even a picture of me here somewheres see if you can find it.

now to find and dystroy those Hamas soilders who have penetrated here they come in all shapes and sizes and were last seen masquerading as caring Irish pro palestinian activists.

http://giyus.org/

40000 members...

now please link to anything similarly sized on the palestinian side

oh and I see you added "Israel" to your location recently so that explains your involvement in these threads...

• Advertisement

OLD News.

If you bother to check the existing anti-Israeli threads you'll find this already posted. but you won't have bothered to check that Iran has an army of bloggers posting anti-Israeli misinformation and lies would you?

[citation needed]

please provide links as i do makes your points stronger and can be scrutinised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

ionix5891 wrote: »
    oh and I see you added "Israel" to your location recently so that explains your involvement in these threads...

Well it's hardly a shock - he's had that signature for quite some now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

OLD News.

Really? First I've heard of it. I'll file this under bullsht if you dont back it up...

concussion wrote: »
    Well it's hardly a shock - he's had that signature for quite some now :confused:

i wasnt around for a while due to work :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

ionix5891 wrote: »
    i wasnt around for a while due to work :pac::pac::pac:

Fair enough, I though I've seen that for a few months now but if you haven't I must be mistaken.

• Advertisement

Quite some time now Must be nearly a year
    ah yes the golden beaches of TA
    Where sunset is at 7 and we ont go out till 1
    we smoke in the bars and theres always a taxi no getting bottled or someone trying to pick a fight (probably because you dont know if the other guy is shayatet :D )
    wont be long before Im back away from the cold :P

Really? First I've heard of it. I'll file this under bullsht if you dont back it up...

everyone has talked about that to death your late in the debate so I think its only fair you should spend the time looking it up yourself.
    I wouldnt expect nodin wes or munchester to have to spend time looking up things for me if I only came aboard

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lets setup a poll and see how many of them we can catch ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They will need more than an army!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I posted this on the other thread on Jan 15th

"Hasbara spam alert
    With Israel's foreign ministry organising volunteers to flood news websites with pro-Israeli comments, Propaganda 2.0 is here

The hasbara brigade strikes again! You always hear about Israeli attempts at media manipulation. Everyone knows it's going on but usually the process happens through cyber insurgents like those involved with Giyus (and its media monitoring software, Megaphone). Now, we know that the Israeli foreign ministry itself is orchestrating propaganda efforts designed to flood news websites with pro-Israel arguments and information."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ministry-media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

paulaa wrote: »
    I posted this on the other thread on Jan 15th

"Hasbara spam alert
    With Israel's foreign ministry organising volunteers to flood news websites with pro-Israeli comments, Propaganda 2.0 is here

The hasbara brigade strikes again! You always hear about Israeli attempts at media manipulation. Everyone knows it's going on but usually the process happens through cyber insurgents like those involved with Giyus (and its media monitoring software, Megaphone). Now, we know that the Israeli foreign ministry itself is orchestrating propaganda efforts designed to flood news websites with pro-Israel arguments and information."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ministry-media

What do you think of the pro-extremist websites on the internet? Or Saudi Arabian (they're allegedly an ally but obviously have an hypocritical finger in every pie) sponsored wahhabist propaganda in stores or also on the web? Syrian or Iranian efforts? Or what about the ISI, an alleged ally as well? Hizbullah?

I'd hope that not being able to understand Arabic/Farsi/Pashtun etc would be the only reason that these hardly ever get a mention...(myself, I speak pretty good Hebrew, can read Arabic but don't have the vocabulary)

It doesn't take half a brain for a sub-ed to know when they're being fed pro-agendic spin. Jon Snow said the BBC get it worst in the neck when accused by the two sides of the coin of being biased. Maybe this is a keen indicator that they are doing something right at least?

No side involved in this is without spin or propaganda.

What do you think of the pro-extremist websites on the internet? Or Saudi Arabian (they're allegedly an ally but obviously have an hypocritical finger in every pie) sponsored wahhabist propaganda in stores or also on the web? Syrian or Iranian efforts? Or what about the ISI, an alleged ally as well? Hizbullah?

I'd hope that not being able to understand Arabic/Farsi/Pashtun etc would be the only reason that these hardly ever get a mention...(myself, I speak pretty good Hebrew, can read Arabic but don't have the vocabulary)

It doesn't take half a brain for a sub-ed to know when they're being fed pro-agendic spin. Jon Snow said the BBC get it worst in the neck when accused by the two sides of the coin of being biased. Maybe this is a keen indicator that they are doing something right at least?

No side involved in this is without spin or propaganda.

As far as it goes there is nothing controversial there, but there is a difference between activists posting on forums to put forward their point of view and pretending not to be an Israeli civil servant and posting an official propaganda on the likes of this site and manipulating polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

As far as it goes there is nothing controversial there, but there is a difference between activists posting on forums to put forward their point of view and pretending not to be an Israeli civil servant and posting an official propaganda on the likes of this site and manipulating polls.

There is no difference. None whatsoever. Both sides are doing the exact same thing. If you think the IDF or Israeli govt are the only people flooding news broadcasters with pro-agendaic spin then I just give up...:rolleyes:

There is no difference. None whatsoever. Both sides are doing the exact same thing. If you think the IDF or Israeli govt are the only people flooding news broadcasters with pro-agendaic spin then I just give up...:rolleyes:

No-one is about the news media, the article refers to internet forums and manipulating votes etc.

Advertisement