Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from wired to wireless connection

Options
  • 23-01-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I have a 5mb line from smart telecom and I recently moved my main gaming PC to another room so it no longer has a hard line Ethernet cable in.

I am looking at getting a PCI-e wireless card for my machine but not sure what’s the best one. I obviously want to maximise that I have a 5mb line and not sure will I see a difference between a wired connection and a wireless connection.

Was looking at this to see if it would do the job:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346638

What you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly the usual warning it is extremely difficult if not impossible to predict the wireless performance of any equipment in a particular situation.

Secondly if you are going to be using the wireless card with the smart provided wireless router it might be an idea to post in the Smart forums and ask there if anyone has found any particular wireless card that works well with the Smart router. Otherwise the general recommendation would be to match the maker of the router with the maker of the wireless card.

I would also suggest using a wireless usb dongle rather than a card as it gives more flexiblity (when used with an extension usb lead) for getting the best postion whereas the card is fixed down at the back of the pc.

Advertisement