Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're a ride!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Niamho! wrote: »
    Aye. i'm the same. i never really copped how bad i was until someone pointed it out to me. i say thanks but i get embarrassed. i wore a nice jumper into work the other day and a girl in here kept going on about it but i everythime she started saying it was gorgeous and i looked well i kept trying to change the subject. i don't like it at all. but at the same time, in other situations, i dont mind attention at all. infact i'm a bit of an attention lover:o, but for some reason compliments just embarrass me. :o:o
    I think it because the Irish are messers and very sarcastic so you dont know if the person giving you the complement is messing or serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

The gas thing is though, when someone is kind of complimenting in a joke-y tone of voice, and maybe complimenting the way i looked to someone else, i can take it and join in. but when they're serious i think its the way they look at you as they're saying it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Vain wrote: »
    Trying to come first in this years most popular poster i see:P

It's best to start canvassing early. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

It's best to start canvassing early. :P

What with you losing last year and all, yeah you should :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It was weird the first time admittedly, but over the years I've become more able to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

I can take them by just saying "Yeah, thanks." But then I start wondering if people really mean it when they say it. I kinda try and dissect it until it's dead and sort of tell myself I don't deserve it. Sad sack, I know but I think it's just a way of not letting it go to my head and inflating the ego. Who knows?:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If a girl is not able to take a compliment, that is a real turn off for me. I don't throw compliments around all the time, so when I do they are sincere, so I;d like it to be achknowledged properly (a simple 'Thank You' is best). Usually it either shows high levels of insecurity, or sometimes girls do it cause they're fishing for even more compliments - which is actually worse.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i like to get a high five after a compliment. So in reponce to a compliment, i assume the high 5 position.....dont leave me hangin in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i get them all the time because i am the shit. half the time i'll just say 'yeeaaahhh, damn righttt!!!!!!' and whip me kacks off and shout 'check out my ginger cock' then start waving it about, stickin it in peoples faces and whatnot. older ladies love this. the rest of the time i'll pull off my top and start flicking my nipples, i'll say something along the lines of 'you can lick em if you want', then grab someone by the back of the head and shove their face into my chest, hurting them playfully. this works well with the younger ladies.
    i never take both my top and my kacks off in the one go. nobody likes a show off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

not a thread about me then, no? feck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I hate being complemented. But I would usually reply with "I know!" depending on the complement!

I just find if I act like I can take it, it makes it easy. A guy I have a thing with (complicated!) is always complementing me, but I just cant take them from him! I go all red, and shy... I wish I could! I think a lot boils down to my ex used to tell me I was fat/unattractive etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Sabotage wrote: »
    Do you take compliments well? Do you get compliments?

Never had the experience:(

Mirror wrote: »
    I'm surprised it took you so long to find it. I thought you stick mirror + ride into the seach every few mins :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sometimes I get a bit embarrassed/uncomfortable, but I just say thanks.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Does, "You're a useless waster who does nothing around the house.", count as a compliment?

If so, I don't take them well, either.

/shrugs
    :( I think you're lovely...
    Mirror wrote: »
    You got your fix from me the other day, now quiet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Ah i hate them! Its very embarrassing.

If someone says to me you look well i'll always always reply with something ah i dont i piled on the weight, my nose is crooked, my eye turns in :P or find some way to put myself down :o

I like giving compliments though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i just reply with: "i find your compliment shallow and pedantic".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I tend to respond by first insulting myself, and then the person giving me a compliment. Win-win?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭D-OLEARY

we need to see pictuers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

i just reply with: "i find your compliment shallow and pedantic".

Which reminds me, its very embarrassing when someone gives you a compliment and you feel obliged to give it back and say something stupid like they say you have lovely eyes and you reply thanks so have you and you look at them and they are gunner eyed or something d'oh :p

Does that make sense? ANyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I don't take them well at all (I feel kind of uncomfortable in fact) although it is nice to hear sometimes. But yeah, Sabotage is a ride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I give lots of complements, sometime i get embbarrassed when i'm given one but i'm secretly smiling inside

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Usually i would have just not noticed them much, nowadays i'll thank whoever paid it to me...only yesterday was wearing shorts for basketball practice in college when a nice group of beauty students came out with the wolf whistles, so i turned around and said "cheers" :)

In all fairness...i usually have my legs stared at when i'm wearing shorts been told they are quite sexy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

dont always feel comfortable taking them but when i do i just say thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

MizzLolly wrote: »
    But yeah, Sabotage is a ride.

I like you. You can be in my club. Pm me for details.

Dont do it, Lolly. It sucks ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Sophie Webster is up the duff.

And who did the damage? [/ Snapper]

When a guy compliments meh on shaggability, I smile on the outside. I like to return by telling them they look rather ravenous too. Add a wink to perfect the transaction.

;)
    ^ like thash thur.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just say I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I just say I know.
    but thats because you are the sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

K-Jet wrote: »
    I seem to remember you not being too impressed when I kissed you

I tried to take him up the arse at the Christmas beers and he wasn't too happy about that either.
    There's no pleasing some people.

As for compliaments, I don't take them well either.
    I've never been called a ride (obviously), but people do pass remarks on my good traits.

We're Irish.
    We're not conditioned to take these things well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

/curious
    Kiera wrote: »
    Dont do it, Lolly. It sucks ass!

/trembles

On topic, genuine compliments (e.g, you're beautiful, lovely eyes, nice smile etc..) make me feel odd (in a nice way I suppose) but some people just haven't got a clue, in fact, some gestures can be really offensive. Myself and my friend were walking down grafton street a few weeks back and some weirdo caught hold of me and said, ''you're some ride, give us a shot of ya''.. That was NOT taken as a compliment. :mad: That's just rude in fact. So it depends on the person saying it, how they say it and why they're saying it.
    Ugh.. I talk too much! :o

Advertisement