Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK OS Maps

Options
  • 23-01-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

Apart from the internet does anybody know of anywhere in the East of Ireland (Dub, Meath, Kildare Louth) that sells UK OS maps going walking in Wales and looking for some maps

Cheers

Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This crowd do them ...

http://www.mapcentre.ie/index.html

They're on Aungier Street in Dublin. Might be an idea to give them a ring first to make sure they have the ones you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

I find they're a lot cheaper to buy when you're over there.
    I know Great Outdoors Dublin stock a few aswell.

Tells wrote: »
    I find they're a lot cheaper to buy when you're over there.
    That's very true, but I'm guessing he wants to get them here to peruse at his leisure and plan some routes before he goes there? I'm not sure what he's got against getting them on the Internet though, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

I was in the Map Centre recently. Very small shop but with a very large stock. All the maps you could want really. I don't remeber any breaks in the OS or UK OS map numbers.

Prices were as on the website but I must say I am shocked at how much of a mark up there can be on maps depending where you buy them. Some shops really do push their luck!

The Map Centre has the OSI Trail Master DVD's for 24.99 euro which I thought was good but I don't know how that compares to anywhere else......

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Alun wrote: »
    That's very true, but I'm guessing he wants to get them here to peruse at his leisure and plan some routes before he goes there? I'm not sure what he's got against getting them on the Internet though, I have to say.

Thanks for all the help,

Your right do want to plan some walks before I get there as only going to be there for 3-4 days. Nothing against internet just want to go to a shop so I can see what areas are covered etc so not buying a map I dont need. Prob buy 1 or 2 1:50000 maps and then identify if I need any smaller 1:25000 in particular areas then. Prob buy these on internet or over there

Thanks again

Eddie

• Advertisement

What areas are you planning on visiting out of interest? The OS have a website that allows you to easily find which maps you need.

The entire country is covered by the 1:25k Explorer series that puts anything the OSi produces to shame in my opinion, and the coverage of these maps tends to be designed so that they cover all the major leisure areas such as national parks meaning you rarely have to buy multiple maps to cover one area, so personally for walking purposes I don't bother with the 1:50k maps. They're handy enough for short strolls in the lowlands or for detailed navigation in the car, but for upland walking the Explorer series is your only choice really. They also do laminated versions of some of them which is highly recommended.

Advertisement