Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth

Options
  • 23-01-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me a good website to get free macbeth essays.
    Our teacher was telling us about the mocks and was hinting about the theme of deception coming up. Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well I'd recommend against copying essays off the web.. you'll remember it better if you have to make it up yourself.

Regards the theme itself:

Deception is obviously referring to the 3 witches deception of Macbeth by telling ambiguous truths to get their own way, and use him to cause disorder and distortion in Scotland and the Divine Right of Kings.

I'd recommend that you take the truths that were told to Macbeth in the first meeting, and Macbeth's reactions to it. Do the same for the rest of the meetings and what Macbeth was told.

The theme of deceipt alone does not only cover the witches, but also Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. When Duncan arrives at the Macbeth's castle in Inverness, Duncan calls Lady Macbeth 'hostess' three times, and is full of praise for her. Great irony there to work with, as Lady Macbeth had already decided to kill Duncan upon receiving Macbeth's letter.

Also Act 1 Scene VII, Very last thing Macbeth says
    Macbeth wrote:
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know

If you wanted too, you could include how Macbeth's eyes deceive him with the
    Macbeth wrote:
    Is this a dagger which I see before me, the handle toward my hand

Or, you could say how Malcom deceives Macduff later on in the play, to see where his loyalty lies. When Macduff weeps for Scotland
    Macduff wrote:
    O Scotland, Scotland!

O nation miserable, With an untitled tyrant bloody-scepter'd, When shalt thou see thy wholesome days again... etc
    Malcom is convinced that Macduff's loyalty is to Scotland and not to Macbeth.
    Malcom wrote:
    Macduff, this noble passion, Child of integrity, hath from my soul Wip'd the black scruples, reconcil'd my thoughts to thy good truth and honour.

There is more than enough in the play to write about deception, and tbh I've just given you the bones of an answer there (from 5 minutes of thinking, and a quick flick through the play for quotes). All you have to do is come up with the rest. (Thanks btw, you just helped me write my own essay :D)

Seriously, Write your own. It'll be more beneficial in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭laura!

www.sparknotes.com

i use this one alot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I love how it says "Originally posted by Macbeth"

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Same here! Also use Lady Macbeth: 'Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it' and ' your face, my thane, is as a book where men may read strange matters'

Not sure about how accurate those quotes are. Compare Duncan and Malcolm (that also works for kingship)- how Duncan's really bad at telling people's true natures (Thane of Cawdor). Also look at the witches, and how they trick Macbeth.

I really hope that theme comes up, it's a nice one to write on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

That is so cool. I never knew they had the internet back then!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement