Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do People Ignore/Have People Forgotten Pantera

• 23-01-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Yesterday on my radio show I played Pantera, and asked the question, do people ignore the band? I don't mean there should be people worshipping them night and day but surely they should get a bit more respect. It seems that we have kids going around in Zeppelin, Green Day, Metallica, AC/DC, Motorhead, KISS and GNR T Shirts and yet Pantera is largely forgotten (albeit the occassional fan present in the basement of Fibbers on a Thur night)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Yesterday on my radio show I played Pantera, and asked the question, do people ignore the band? I don't mean there should be people worshipping them night and day but surely they should get a bit more respect. It seems that we have kids going around in Zeppelin, Green Day, Metallica, AC/DC, Motorhead, KISS and GNR T Shirts and yet Pantera is largely forgotten (albeit the occassional fan present in the basement of Fibbers on a Thur night)

Pantera are HUGE... They're a hell of alot heavier than the above mentioned bands perhaps that's why they're not as 'mainstream' but they're deffo not forgotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Their first few albums from the '80s get ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I dont ignore them, I just never liked them.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

adox wrote: »

I don't ignore them either, just hate Phil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

adox wrote: »

++

Just never found them appealing at all ( having said that the same can be said for the other bands that were mentioned also ) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I liked them, but then found other, better, more interesting bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I don't like them, too brutal, kind of thuggish, though Dimebag was a brilliant guitarist. I like cowboys from hell, what a title, and walk (if I'm really p1ssed off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I've a lot of time for Pantera. I wouldn't listen to them regularly, but I always enjoy coming back to Vulgar Display of Power.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pantera are still very popular among young metal fans, not a chance they are forgotten

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

LOVED them when I was 19/20. used to always listen to Vulgar Display. Still love it but I don't listen as much now, I'm more into Down. Saw them last year and loved it.

Pantera are still huge. Almost 17 million listens on Last.fm

Edit: Kids think KISS are cool??? I used to get slagged so bad for that. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I can only listen to 3 songs from Cowboys from Hell (Give a guess) and Vulgar Display of Power is good though i havent listened to it in years. My main gripe is that the sound quality is piss pour and really puts me off. That and it all fell apart with Far Beyond Driven *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Absolutely not. Still a fantastic band, and will more than certainly give 'em a lash now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Is the OP on crack or something?! ;)
    Pantera are anything but forgotten, although there are some aspects of the band that people would easily care to forget, the likes of the glam rock phase and the ultimate self destruction of the band. But overall they kept most metal fans sane with Cowboys and Vulgar while grunge was trying to take over the music scene. Phil's screechy voice on Cowboys may be a little too much for some, I initially didn't like it, but i find myself listening to Cowboys from Hell more than i do Vulgar Display of Power.

I kinda stopped after Far Beyond Driven, not because i didn't like it or lost interest in the band, I just wanted to try something else other than Metal at the time.

I also think Rex Brown's involvement in the band was highly neglected by fans too.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Is the OP on crack or something?! ;)

To be fair, after Dimebag's unfortunate death, Pantera were pretty much on everyone's lips, it was the topic. This has certainly calmed down as of late, so while it wouldn't be right to say that people have forgotten them, or are ignoring them, it's clear that they're not quite as talked about at the moment.

To be fair, after Dimebag's unfortunate death, Pantera were pretty much on everyone's lips, it was the topic. This has certainly calmed down as of late, so while it wouldn't be right to say that people have forgotten them, or are ignoring them, it's clear that they're not quite as talked about at the moment.

That's a fair point. Pantera is a different story for me whilst growing up as they were at their height of fame at the time, Vulgar Display Of Power came out in 1992, which would have made me 16 at the time, so i'm obviously gonna associate their music with the whole Fibbers/Bruxelles/after house party era of my life.

And anyone who's done that, knows full well you don't ever forget those days. Even if you did wake up with a 15 stone midget who looks like Anthony Kiedis the next morning! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I also think Rex Brown's involvement in the band was highly neglected by fans too.

True

I saw Crowbar at Whelans a few years ago and it wasnt as packed as Id imagined it would be - although maybe that was just for H&S reasons

And in regards to Dimebag, while I 100% with those comments I would also add that Dimebag's death created something more than just love for Pantera - it created specific love for Dimebag, which was a good thing, but kinda moved itself away from Pantera and suddenly people were listening to Megadeth, Machine Head and Hatebreed because they dedicated tracks to him and Nickelback because they used his old guitar riff but not Pantera themselves, his death was a tragedy, but people got more swept up in the fact that if you shouted about how much of a bastard the guy who killed him was then you could fit in better with the Metal crowd...and a lot of kids did that, it was their "in" you could say

people got more swept up in the fact that if you shouted about how much of a bastard the guy who killed him was then you could fit in better with the Metal crowd...and a lot of kids did that, it was their "in" you could say

That f*cked me off good and proper when it happened. While those assholes were talking about what a c*nt the killer was, I was sitting there thinking "Vinnie Paul's gonna have a tough time dealing with that sh*t". Nobody seemed to care about the fact that he saw his own brother gunned down in front of him. Dimebag was shot dead, he was gone and bugger all could be done to bring him back. Vinnie was the one who had to pick up the pieces.

That f*cked me off good and proper when it happened.

+1

Couldnt agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's a fair point alright.

I didn't like Pantera too much growing up, and to this day they really remain a 'greatest hits' type of band in my collection.
    But I also remember going to gigs as a kid and seeing groups of people who were labelled as 'Pantera heads'. Now granted they may not have all been wearing Pantera t-shirts but....well, you all know the type.

The person(s) who went to the gig, often had shaved heads & Doc Martins, took their shirts off as soon as possible, then stomped around bopping their heads like chickens, huffing and puffing like they were going to blow a house down, almost looking for a fight.

I can't speak for everyone, but amongst some, there was a stigma about being too big a Pantera fan.

The person(s) who went to the gig, often had shaved heads & Doc Martins, took their shirts off as soon as possible....almost looking for a fight.

I understand what you mean. One of my closest friends is a Pantera fan and has been for as long as I have known him. But he does dress like that, act like that, and hang around at gigs with people like that.

And Im sorry if this offends anyone, but some of them are members of the White Power movement, and I suppose one stigma could be that Pantera's music (for them) helped them associate with their racial prejudice. Its wrong, of course, but its just the way some of them used to act...and I was hoping that it wouldnt be mentioned here, but its something I suppose you cant avoid having seen examples of. Id have nothing to do with them, but my friend, he felt that following that lifestyle was acceptable because for him it stopped at the music and friendship he shared with these guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

For me Pantera = Catharsis.

I just enjoy the riffs, the amazing drumming and the vocals. They were all (still are) a very talented bunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭subzero12

Exhorder > pantera
    i like pantera dont get me wrong but the did rip off exhorder
    pantera where still doing the glam metal crap when exhorder started the whole grove metal thing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

always liked pantera,never got mad into them like some of my mates but i still give cowboys and vulgar a spin occasionally to remind me how good they were.

pity phil was a prick:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thielfer

no matter what they did that one accept and another not
    they will never be forgotten
    they have still position in music history
    they did a lot comparing to nothing special that represent teenage pseudo-bands these days
    they were great and I want to remember them as they were with Dimebag

few months ago I jumped to HMV and found compilation of CD-Audio and DVD with all Pantera videos...didn't even waste a second to think if I should buy it or not...have it now at home and really proud of that :)

anyway...there's a lot of other bands that deserve attention so...
    if I have a day to listen to Pantera - I do it, if not - I do not :D
    simple and clear

but never forgot them
    a lot of my mates still listen to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

ah Phil is great car crash fun. I pity him to an extent, drugs really fcked him up and he was always a bit of nutter, but his behaviour is funny at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

I think the young metallers of Ireland ignore Pantera and listen to bands like lamb of god which sickens me:mad:

Music4life wrote: »
    I think the young metallers of Ireland ignore Pantera and listen to bands like lamb of god which sickens me:mad:

What's wrong with Lamb of God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What sort of responses did you get from your listeners when you asked the question? Certainly I could never forget Pantera. I'm sure if you're a 13 year old kid it might be hard to get into them since they're not featured on tv or in magazines except in relation to Dimebag's murder.

Also, considering most of Pantera formed and played in Damageplan for something like 2 years, should the question not be "Do People Ignore/Have People Forgotten Damageplan" or did you forget about them? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Pretty much different genre's. Smaller genre is going to be less popular. Also some of those bands while popular, didn't have anything like the impact of a band like Zep.

Besides not everyone likes Pantera. I only like a couple of tracks myself.

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    What sort of responses did you get from your listeners when you asked the question?

Good question. I got a text from one listener who taught Pantera were actually a racist white power group because a proportion of their fans dressed like skinheads....doc martins, bald head, removing shirts and looking for a fight at every gig

another one said he hadn't forgotten them, but without them being in the mainstream media (no chance of a reunion obviously or indeed any tours), he hadn't actively listened to them in the past few months.

Most of the time a bands movements are defined, even when they are broken up or on hiatus, by their band members activities.

With Brown and Phil currently in Down - a legendary band unto themselves - and Vinne Paul in a band called Hellyeah (which, lets face it, isnt going anywhere) - there is relatively little chance of the mention of Pantera. Down is effectively the new Pantera (I know thats gonna piss a few people off here but Im afraid its true) and Vinne Paul is prob so shaken with grief after his brothers death that he will never, out of respect to his brother, ever play with them again.

Advertisement