Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do People Ignore/Have People Forgotten Pantera

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Vinne Paul in a band called Hellyeah (which, lets face it, isnt going anywhere)

That made me sad, I actually like Hellyeah. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Pantera are definitely not forgotten!

They're bigger now than most of their contemporaries at the time are now: like Anthrax, Kreator, Corrosion of Conformity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    That made me sad, I actually like Hellyeah. :(

Im sure they make a lot of people happy, and have some dedicated fans, but I would imagine their sound is not enough to deter people from the fact that they will always be seen as simply a Pantera tribute act for Vinne to spend his time in.

Correct me if I am wrong, I genuinely don't know, but I don't think they have ever done any tours outside the US? So I would imagine that, unlike Down, the band themselves are never going to be considered a groundbreaking act. I could be wrong, but unless Vinne Paul really reinvents himself - which he is unlikely and would be unwise to do - then Hellyeah is as far as its gonna go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thielfer

What's wrong with Lamb of God?

Nothing wrong but also nothing special :/ sad but true - like metallica plays
    anyway, it's hard to be original or special these days so I don't blame them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Cowboys from Hell is a regular on my playlist here ...

I'd be listening to one track in particular .. Message in Blood ..

However I'd guess its a bit of a case of out of sight out of mind for most people ... I think this is the first time I've heard of them in a LONG time ..

Have a few friends who still love them but they'd probably be listening to more in the news bands these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I used to listen to Pantera loads a few years ago but not as much anymore. When I do throw them on it'd be Power Metal which I think is their best album after that would be Cowboys From Hell. I never really saw what was so brilliant about Vulgar Display of Power or Far Beyond Driven, sure they had a few alright songs/riffs but they weren't ground breaking in my books. I'd rank The Great Southern Trendkill above Far Beyond Driven, with the exception of Suicide Note pt 2 which was shockingly bad ! They're other Glam albums are not bad either, I used to think they were rubbish but it's when you take the time to listen it starts to grow in you, just like any other album really !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I still listen to Pantera on a daily basis, lol
    Usually listening to music all day in work and a few Pantera songs always get played.

Pantera were the band that got me into metal all them years ago and i dont think i will ever not listen to them. Even if i wanted to get away from Pantera i couldn't caus i have a small cfh logo in the middle of a tattoo on my upper right arm :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

ill never forget. if i made it to 80 and still have hearing ill be blastin it.
    phil is a legend. that last DOWN gig was crazy.

superjoint ruled also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

thielfer wrote: »
    it's hard to be original or special these days so I don't blame them...
    What makes you say that?

malice_ wrote: »
    What makes you say that?

reality? :)
    compare a number of a bands that exist in the world, to the number of the ones that are known well, and have something original - there's maybe hundreds of them but there's a billions of clones that play almost same thing...

it's not only my opinion
    if you read music market annual reports and top labels reviews, their bosses and management say the same - time that there was a lot of money to take when you're original and make good music, has gone and it will not return...

unfortunately there's a limited range of sound that we can detect using our ears and even if there's a millions of combinations it's limited;
    the more new sounds created - the less original music's left

you can agree or not but that's reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I certainly havnt forgotten about pantera.

I reckon they are one of the most credible bands in the metal scene. The riffs and solos were great, the drumming was amazing and phils vocals were just right and they seemed like normal people ie they didnt look like vampires and play songs about worshipping satan.

compare a number of a bands that exist in the world, to the number of the ones that are known well, and have something original - there's maybe hundreds of them but there's a billions of clones that play almost same thing...

it's not only my opinion
    if you read music market annual reports and top labels reviews, their bosses and management say the same - time that there was a lot of money to take when you're original and make good music, has gone and it will not return...

unfortunately there's a limited range of sound that we can detect using our ears and even if there's a millions of combinations it's limited;
    the more new sounds created - the less original music's left

you can agree or not but that's reality
    To be fair, it's in the record companies interests to ensure that the music-consuming public think there's a lack of originality out there these days. If the general public only sees what's in the charts as a reflection of the music that's available then the record companies can charge what they like. It reminds me of the way that DeBeers artificially inflate the price of diamonds to ensure that they can charge ridiculous prices for them.

If you tune into Scuzz or Kerrang or whatever on your television you'll see a consistent similarity between the music on a lot of the videos but here's the thing: There's a whole world of music out there! There's easily more music being recorded and released over the Internet in any given day than you could possible hope to listen to in your entire life.

Lastly, you say that there's a limited range of sounds that can be detected by the human ear. You're absolutely right but that's like saying that painters from the Renaissance used up loads of the available colours so painters these days are "clones that paint almost the same thing".

I have no idea if you're musical or not but if you can, contrast the difference between a simple chord progression like C-Am-Dm-G on, for example a 7 string electric guitar with distortion applied and the same chord progression played on an acoustic guitar. Now add some strings and/or bass. There are a lot of sonic possibilities just there before you even start looking at percussion or the tempo of the music.

Anyway, apologies for going way off-topic!

Back on-topic: I guess people have forgotten Damageplan since no one responded when I mentioned them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Damageplan are a regular on my mp3 playlist , i love the whole album
    Dime was my idol

To be fair, it's in the record companies interests to ensure that the music-consuming public think there's a lack of originality out there these days. If the general public only sees what's in the charts as a reflection of the music that's available then the record companies can charge what they like. It reminds me of the way that DeBeers artificially inflate the price of diamonds to ensure that they can charge ridiculous prices for them.

If you tune into Scuzz or Kerrang or whatever on your television you'll see a consistent similarity between the music on a lot of the videos but here's the thing: There's a whole world of music out there! There's easily more music being recorded and released over the Internet in any given day than you could possible hope to listen to in your entire life.

Lastly, you say that there's a limited range of sounds that can be detected by the human ear. You're absolutely right but that's like saying that painters from the Renaissance used up loads of the available colours so painters these days are "clones that paint almost the same thing".

I have no idea if you're musical or not but if you can, contrast the difference between a simple chord progression like C-Am-Dm-G on, for example a 7 string electric guitar with distortion applied and the same chord progression played on an acoustic guitar. Now add some strings and/or bass. There are a lot of sonic possibilities just there before you even start looking at percussion or the tempo of the music.

Anyway, apologies for going way off-topic!

Back on-topic: I guess people have forgotten Damageplan since no one responded when I mentioned them :(

I agree with you but it changes almost nothing in what I said - you just extended that and told it different way :) unfortunately it's an era of plastic sounds, worthless sounds seen on tv and other apocalyptic things...

My idea is that even in the whole music world out there it's hard to find something new even if it is there - it's like looking for a red grain inside a huge bowl of other white ones, in the dark :(
    I can say I'm an amateur musician, I played some gigs, I was a hundreds of times on a different contests to listen to new generation and some older bands to find something I would like to hear as a new. Of course I've found some but it's like 1:1000 or worse. These days it's easier to start an amateur band - there are pros and cons:
    -easier way for originals to widen their horizons, move a wings, try to achieve something
    -easier way for fakes, copybands and other sh*** to spread all over the world and dim these mentioned above :(

I know that record companies think about money and what's trendy,
    but there are also record labels that promote originals and they say same thing :/

Regarding painting and colours against music and notes there's a lot of truth in what you said but can't compare it closely as it's very very different kind of art and a different rules - that's why they're separate worlds of vision and listening - both keep you whole, and each keep you feel different way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I know that record companies think about money and what's trendy...

Yes, thats true, but also about whats nostalgic....look at the releases this year....AC/DC, Metallica, Guns N Roses....they're looking for the old arena dogs to get those new albums out, and whether they are good or bad, they can also force up the sales of the bands older albums at reduced prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

subzero12 wrote: »
    Exhorder > pantera
    i like pantera dont get me wrong but the did rip off exhorder
    pantera where still doing the glam metal crap when exhorder started the whole grove metal thing !

Maybe, but not quite

Slaughter in The Vatican = Thrash
    The Law = Groove

I agree with you
    Fair enough so :).

Seriously though, we could have a debate on this in another thread but I think we'd just end up agreeing with each other and where's the fun in that?

Fair enough so :).

Seriously though, we could have a debate on this in another thread but I think we'd just end up agreeing with each other and where's the fun in that?

fun is when people understand each other ;) not fighting by arguments
    anyway a good discussion is still a piece of nice time spent with a little bit of challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

eh..

Kinda butting in on your conversation about the originality in music today,

I saw something interesting a few years ago, the committee that do the nobel prize, offered a pretty substantial cash prize for FOUR BARS of totally original music.

I dont think anyone could do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

Dimebag is a legend..
    I hope I can play as good as him some day ..

:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement