Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday with a 5 year old

Options
  • 23-01-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

This has probably already been done but myself & my OH want to take our 5 year old on holiday. Its his 1st hol so we want to go on an aeroplane. We've been contemplating Orlando for Disney etc but Ive had various opinions on this such as its EXTREMELY expensive and that he might still be a bit too young yet. Now I love the idea for the shopping. Is there anywhere else thats fab for shopping & kids but not OTT expensive, also I want to try avoid places like Spain cause Im not that keen on drunks!Has anyone else had a fab hol with kids where theres shopping to be done?

Thanks!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

You could try Disneyland Paris instead. It's not as hot and a lot closer. You could spend a few days there, a few days in Paris, shopping and then perhaps a few days camping in the countryside.
    I'd also recommend Legoland in Denmark. Its really great especially for young children, My sister lives very near there so we've been a few times. You could have a nice holiday in Denmark. Legoland for a few days, There is a great zoo / safari park also in Jutland, plus lovely beaches and Copenhagen is a lovely city. Not great for shopping, they are not a consumer nation as we are here and of courser the weather can't really be relied on.
    I've been to Disney World in Florida and it is great. It's hot though and a total money pit.
    I'm sure your son would love Disney. I have a 5 year old too and I know he would but we'll probably wait a few years to bring him to Disney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

We've had lovely holidays with our young kids in the south of France - any of the Ryanair destinations - Carcassonne area is nice. If you get a car and stay outside of the cities, you get a very nice rural France, vineyard country experience, and some very nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you didn't want to go too far away but still fly London could be a good option to consider. There are lots of things for children ie. Legoland, Chessington World of Adventure, Thorpe Park, Natural History Museum to name but a few.

Plenty of shopping opportunities too especially with the exchange rates quite good at the moment.

Children also travel free on London's public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

We just got back from 10 days at Orlando Disney, myself and the wife with a nearly 3 year old and a 6 year old. We were previously in Disney when our 6 year old son turned 2. Kids definitely not too young for it and everyone had a great time.

Expense wise I guess it's all relative. We stayed at a Magic Kingdom resort which was the cheapest premium resort. They are running great deals as well, book 4 nights and get three more nights free etc. Once you have your resort, your park hopper cards then it's just food and bits and bobs, transportation is free to anyone staying in a resort onsite. For the 10 days we spent about $1200 between food and things for the kids. The food isn't great to be honest but it is what it is.

We never saw a drop of rain and I wore a t-shirt every day. We are back home now and the day time temp is about -5 and we have a foot of snow coming tomorrow, arghhh!

Advertisement