Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Document?

Options
  • 23-01-2009 7:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

is there any previous students who done this for the oral and if so can you please shed some light on the things i should have prepared.

ps. my one is on a footballer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Like yourself I'm doing my orals in a few weeks.

I'm doing mine on Shelbourne, so I talked a bit about the club, where they play, my favourite match, my least favourite match, basically the usuals.

I'd say pick a team instead of a player tbh, say it's alot easier.

Be aware the examiner might ask you "Where in Ireland is Glasgow".:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

har har har:pac:

Like yourself I'm doing my orals in a few weeks.

I'm doing mine on Shelbourne, so I talked a bit about the club, where they play, my favourite match, my least favourite match, basically the usuals.

I'd say pick a team instead of a player tbh, say it's alot easier.

Be aware the examiner might ask you "Where in Ireland is Glasgow".:pac:

where did you get the phrases? just used a dictionary ? or were they off the top of your head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

oh god we havent even talked bout the document yet im so worried because were not even doing oral work in class :( is the document hard to prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm using a pic of my and my boyfriend getting married at the inflatable church in Electric Picnic. My teacher scared me a bit by saying I should prepare to talk about marriage and the age of consent for marrying :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I think I'll do a French band/musician, perhaps Yelle or Daft Punk...

Oh, yes, also, re: french oral, IM FÚCKING SCREWED. I sense it may be my overall downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

no i dont think you will be able for it, but i suggest picking an easy picture because if you dont have very good french u will struggle.

im doing mine on a picture from gaza.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

cautioner wrote: »
    I think I'll do a French band/musician, perhaps Yelle or Daft Punk...

Oh, yes, also, re: french oral, IM FÚCKING SCREWED. I sense it may be my overall downfall.

I did mine on a band too, Animal Collective. It was great as she didn't have a clue who they were and couldn't ask too out of the ordinary questions. Just know where they're from, how long they've been together, a bit about the albums, what instruments they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭laura!

im doin my oral aswel now soon but am doin my document on <snip>

its so simple to write about just talk mainly bout music and the weather and prices... simple!

tho go to www.translation2.paralink.com

its great for translating

i used it for most of my document!!!!!:D

Mod Edit: Certain music festivals/events can't be mentioned because of our no MCD-discussions policy. Please see the sticky at the top of the forum for more information.- Piste

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

laura! wrote: »
    im doin my oral aswel now soon but am doin my document on <snip>

its so simple to write about just talk mainly bout music and the weather and prices... simple!

tho go to www.translation2.paralink.com

its great for translating

i used it for most of my document!!!!!:D

Beware of the translator! My French teacher used to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oral is my biggest problem for the whole leaving cert, I just freeze up! :(

I'm thinking of getting a page from French Vogue and talking about La Mode, I have a lot of vocab on it already

from what ive heard anyway they aren't there to crucify you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

celtic723 wrote: »
    where did you get the phrases? just used a dictionary ? or were they off the top of your head?

I used google translator for the majority of it, had a look over it and changed what didn't look right or phrase right and then I went over to the French forum on here and a lad fluent in French looked over and changed anything that wasn't right.;)

can anyone tell me what questions i should prepare like:

Pourquoi avez-vous choisi ce document?

what else could i be asked

You'll probably be asked the obvious like do you play football, or do you think footballers get paid too much. Then there'll probably be more abstract topics depending on your level of French, like talking about the importance of excercise for young people, and maybe something on sports people taking drugs.

Piste wrote: »
    You'll probably be asked the obvious like do you play football, or do you think footballers get paid too much. Then there'll probably be more abstract topics depending on your level of French, like talking about the importance of excercise for young people, and maybe something on sports people taking drugs.

hmmm, interesting. seems like i will need to ask myself abstract questions and answer them in order to prepare for ''ma crucifixion'' so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I don't get what the document is. so you bring in a picture of anything and they ask you about it? how much is it worth?

It doesn't have to be a picture, it could be a concert ticket or article for a magazine, but if there's writing on it it can't be in English. Then you have a minimum of 2 minutes to talk about your document and the teacher will ask you various questions about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

no i dont think you will be able for it, but i suggest picking an easy picture because if you dont have very good french u will struggle.

im doing mine on a picture from gaza.
    Yikes! That could lead to all sorts of awkward questions about the Isreali-Palestinian conflict. You'd want to know your history aswell as your French to pull that one off.
    celtic723 wrote: »
    from what ive heard anyway they aren't there to crucify you.
    It's always said that most of the examiners are lovely and want to give students many marks as possible. You won't be crucified at all.

Which footballer are you talking about btw? If you talked about a French footballer and showed off a knowledge of French football, it would come across very well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

You could always bring in a completely abstract doccument so that the examiner won't be able to ask you dificult questions.This is my main reason for choosing a picture of supermarios head superimposed on the mona lisa and asking "le jeu video est-il un art?". I hope the examiner isn't a gamer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

OP pick a picture of paris st.germain and blabber on about how much you love paris as a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

OP pick a picture of paris st.germain and blabber on about how much you love paris as a city.

Actually that's a good idea... thanks

Would it be blatantly obvious what I was trying to do if I went into the oral with a cast or some sort of bandage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Would it be blatantly obvious what I was trying to do if I went into the oral with a cast or some sort of bandage?

Probably. I'm sure it's been done before but why not do it?? They can't take marks off you for lying

Heh, speaking of blatant lies in the exam, one year a girl in my school went into the oral and was talking about going on holidays in Amsterdamn with her "petite amie", except realised too late that she had said girlfriend and not boyfriend, so she played along for the whole exam and pretended she was a lesbian and was going to Amsterdamn cos it was really liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

You could always bring in a completely abstract doccument so that the examiner won't be able to ask you dificult questions.This is my main reason for choosing a picture of supermarios head superimposed on the mona lisa and asking "le jeu video est-il un art?". I hope the examiner isn't a gamer!

A guy I know who did his orals last year brought in an album cover of some old french band. The examiner hadn't a clue who they were and told his teacher after all the orals were over, that although it was clear he had good french, he didn't maximise his marks on the document as she couldn't ask him decent questions, where he would pick up more marks. Or something to that effect.

So beware of too abstract stuff! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

My friend was stricken with her can't-talk disease (sort of like laryngitis except she has notches on her oesophagus or something, she gets it once or twice a year and can only communicate by means of a very breathy gasp) for her orals so when the examiners went really easy on her, helped her along whenever she faltered and basically did her oral for her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I'm a bit surprised not many of you are doing documents closely related to France. I know you don't have to but it's pushed big time in our school. I'm doing French justice minister Rachida Dati, she's very topical at the moment and very interesting! I've loads of stuff ready on her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

A guy I know who did his orals last year brought in an album cover of some old french band. The examiner hadn't a clue who they were and told his teacher after all the orals were over, that although it was clear he had good french, he didn't maximise his marks on the document as she couldn't ask him decent questions, where he would pick up more marks. Or something to that effect.

So beware of too abstract stuff! :D

Thats the examiner's own fault, not the students wrong doing. You are allowed bring into the oral exam anything you wish to talk about. It doesnt have to depend on what the examiner knows and doesnt know on xyz.

Advertisement