Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a Vietnam Loadout

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah haha

For anyone looking for films to source info on kit

I find We Were Soldiers is the best.

It depicts the first engagement between us and nvw forces.

Films like platoon usualy show units in absolute rag order, 2-3 years into service, where their kits have been highly customised.

We Were Soldiers clearly shows what the first unit deployments used and their standard loadouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

One thing lads ... M1956 webbing. Be careful of what length you order. You don't want to order a "small" when you're 5'10 and above ... (wouldn't want to order a medium at that height as it stands).

SOF may seem expensive, but it's cheaper than sourcing it from the US through EBay - which may be original, but jesus is it difficult to get full sets or sets in any sort of decent condition. And "long" H harnesses would appear extremely difficult to get. Granted I got mine off ebay and was incredibly fortunate in whom I dealt with as well. I actually lost the auction, but mailed them to say if the buyer backed out I was interested. Lo and behold she had another 'long' set which she sold me via private auction.

Michell-leaf covers can be picked up on ebay for < $25 last time I looked which was a while ago admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Films like platoon usualy show units in absolute rag order, 2-3 years into service, where their kits have been highly customised.

We Were Soldiers clearly shows what the first unit deployments used and their standard loadouts.

Yeah but I want to go for the battle-hardened, customized look myself. Way cooler. I thought the guys in We Were Soldiers looked a little too much like pristine GI Joe action figures :D

Yeah but I want to go for the battle-hardened, customized look myself. Way cooler. I thought the guys in We Were Soldiers looked a little too much like pristine GI Joe action figures :D

I took inspiration for my infantry look from a couple of different films (take your pick); Platoon, Full Metal Jacket (mostly since I have an M60 and Animal-Mother has some hillarious lines), Hamburger Hill, & We were soldiers.

My SOG inspiration is taken from a genuine photograph (captured in colour). If I can find it I'll post it here. It's a SEAL kneeling behind a bush holding a Stoner 63 LMG (camera is behind him and off to one side) in close proximity to the enemy.

Mine will hopefully be as close as possible to the "Apocalypse Now" Air Cav troopers- but with an M65 jacket instead of a shirt, for the practicalities of Irish weather. F*ck me I love that movie.

Cheers for the tip about the harness Lemming btw. I'm 5'11"!

Lemming wrote: »
    I](mostly since I have an M60 and Animal-Mother has some hillarious lines)[/I]

I would almost pay to see that on a skirmish field: charging up the centre, M60 in one hand, ammo-belt in the other, roaring your head off. I can imagine Hande Hoche Charlie running scared right now! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

this picture lemming ?

P1010004Large.jpg

know if only g&p would hurry up and release there stoner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I would almost pay to see that on a skirmish field: charging up the centre, M60 in one hand, ammo-belt in the other, roaring your head off. I can imagine Hande Hoche Charlie running scared right now! :cool:

You mean something like this :D

1387434071_c08e2a7b2a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Renius

This is ace! I never realised so many people where interested in Vietnam Load outs! My plans where for pretty much what the soldier in Pudding's pic is wearing as in the Tiger stripe load out with the bandanna! As for gun i LOVE the M16 and so will go for the TM M16 and like Doc said, save up for the G and P metal body. The TM should take a decent amount of strain before it starts to wear and tear so that should keep me happy till then! Can't believe some people went to a Vietnam event with G36c's :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Now if there is ever a need to run away from strategically withdraw from one person I think thats your man:D

yeah i need a long harness

Ebay seems to have alot of bits and pieces, no full sets

Solider of fortune it is

Got some Chicoms so if any of you are at Thunder Rolls look forward to playing with. Should be 3/4 of us from Limerick playing Victor Charlie.

89841557zg0.jpg
    w640.png

Been reading up on the soldier of fortune webbing and camo, seemingly very bad quality for airsoft playing.

Might give it a miss

USMC-US-Army-Olive-Drab-OD-BDU-Uniform-Shirt-Pants-L_W0QQitemZ350155448787QQihZ022QQcategoryZ7303QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#ebayphotohosting

Not really VN is it :P

Really have to search high and lo for this **** dont ya :)

Might end up going down the line of tiger stripe and this rate, its cheaper and more available

I want to get stuff that would be ruggid for airsoft, bidchart camo hasnt let me down, i know they do tigerstripe

webbing looks like it will be a serious problem

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cannonball

Got some Chicoms so if any of you are at Thunder Rolls look forward to playing with. Should be 3/4 of us from Limerick playing Victor Charlie.

Hey,

Where can I get more info on Thunder Rolls?
    Do you limerick guys play at g-tac at all? I'd love to get some VN games going in the woods there.

Puding wrote: »
    this picture lemming ?

... image snipped ...

know if only g&p would hurry up and release there stoner :)

That's the one Puding. You sir are a legend :D

I've had my eye on the (non)progress of their Stoner for quite some time now (to paraphrase Agent Smith).

• Advertisement

cannonball wrote: »
    Hey,

Where can I get more info on Thunder Rolls?
    Do you limerick guys play at g-tac at all? I'd love to get some VN games going in the woods there.

A lot of the Limerick lads play at G-tac.The only info I have right now is 21st March Milsim Sunday. Operation Thunder Rolls: The Battle for Chin Dao at G-Tac. Martin has some interesing scenarios planned,so your best bet is to keep an eye on the G-Tac thread and maybe check out the G-Tac forums.

A lot of the Limerick lads play at G-tac.The only info I have right now is 21st March Milsim Sunday. Operation Thunder Rolls: The Battle for Chin Dao at G-Tac. Martin has some interesing scenarios planned,so your best bet is to keep an eye on the G-Tac thread and maybe check out the G-Tac forums.

Severly unlikely that I'll have my M16 by then.... blast! :mad: Sounds pretty savage.

ill hpefully have my m16 and loadout by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is the 21st not a Saturday. Might see if I can get along to this myself. It depends as I'll be in London the previous weekend and if I spend too much cash I won't be going anywhere !!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cannonball

Oh it's at G-TAC. Super. I'll be there for sure. Cheers for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

this might be of help for some obscure real kit

www.manions.com

they are an online auction house in the US. i have purchased stuff from them way back.

you will find the real deal over there....as its people selling collectables.

anyone inform me how exactly the m56 webbing actually works

I've bought myself the suspenders harness thing from ebay ( 20 dollars delievered)

I have an od belt accurtae to the era

Do the ammo puches and buttpouch go onto the belt or harness or what?

Trying to find info online cant find much help, how exactly is the webbing setup?

anyone inform me how exactly the m56 webbing actually works

I've bought myself the suspenders harness thing from ebay ( 20 dollars delievered)

I have an od belt accurtae to the era

Do the ammo puches and buttpouch go onto the belt or harness or what?

Trying to find info online cant find much help, how exactly is the webbing setup?

the butt pack connects to both the belt and the harness. The harness attaches at the top of the back o fthe pack, and to the front of the belt through hoops. Pouches depend on what pouches you have. Pouches attach to the belt at any rate using ALICE clips.

ill hpefully have my m16 and loadout by then

Rub it in Doc... rub it in.....

Well i bought the harness, and i bought the belt.

Pouches are on the hitlist now.

So the harness connects to the buttpack and front of the belt over my shoulders, whislt the buttpack connects to the belt.

So basically im on the right track with harness AND belt.

This is mad, i decided on this loadout on the spur of the moment on saturday

Now i have
    m56 Harness
    m56 belt
    TM m16VN
    G&P m16 body
    G&P Front end assembly

I've basically spent 400 blips which i dont have, i love my life :D

Now to just find the damn uniforms haha

Jose man, you need a shiva, wouldnt have done this is he didnt jsut go buy the rifle without asking, epic, love the guy :D

So the harness connects to the buttpack and front of the belt over my shoulders, whislt the buttpack connects to the belt.

Everything is built around the harness and the belt. If you have no butt-pack, the harness attaches front-and-rear to the belt via hooks that go through the belt holes. If you have a butt pack, you use ALICE clips on the butt-pack to attach it to the belt, and then there are loops on the top back to attach the harness to that instead which stops the butt pack from sagging.

Doc, I hate you. I'm considering going to Rolling Thunder as VC just to shoot your ass.

As a matter of curiosity, would a set of black BDUs, a Chicom and my AK do for a VC loadout? If so I may make it after all, just on the wrong side :o

Edit: you can f*ck off if ye think i'm wearing sandals at G-Tac

Lemming wrote: »
    Everything is built around the harness and the belt. If you have no butt-pack, the harness attaches front-and-rear to the belt via hooks that go through the belt holes. If you have a butt pack, you use ALICE clips on the butt-pack to attach it to the belt, and then there are loops on the top back to attach the harness to that instead which stops the butt pack from sagging.

your a hero mate, so basically im sorted

need my helmet and bdu's...hurra!!!

If anyone is itnerested, in the shop we got in these OD belts, that are strikingly similar to vietnam us loadouts, if anyone is itnerested

If anyone is itnerested, in the shop we got in these OD belts, that are strikingly similar to vietnam us loadouts, if anyone is itnerested

I'd be interested alright! How much they going for or can you say on here?
    Cheers :)

yeha im sure we can say here, we got them in assuming they were just standard army od belts, turns out they are pretty much nearly identical to the ones used in vietnam by US forces

Theres one with a belt clip thats 17 blips and the clipped attach one ( more realistic) for 17

well chuffed im wearing mine now

So as ebaybanned would say

These are big boi welcome

• Advertisement

did some more research into the vietnam loadouts.

Regarding the stuff im getting, seemingly I'd be more suited to getting either 1st pattern jungle OD or tigerstripe.

So I'm going with Tigerstripe for the time being, its cheap and easily available.

Down the line will invest in OD

So, list so far updated

G&P Metal Body
    G&P Front end
    TM M16VN
    Tiger Stripe Jacket, pants and boonie
    M56 harness
    M56 buttpack
    OD Belt
    M16VN midcap mags

All i need is really boots and ammo pouches, canteen. Love how I gathered this **** so fast :)

Regarding the stuff im getting, seemingly I'd be more suited to getting either 1st pattern jungle OD or tigerstripe.

So I'm going with Tigerstripe for the time being, its cheap and easily available.

Down the line will invest in OD

So, list so far updated

Tiger Stripe Jacket, pants and boonie
    M56 harness
    M56 buttpack
    OD Belt
    M16VN midcap mags

All i need is really boots and ammo pouches, canteen. Love how I gathered this **** so fast :)

I recommend that ebay shop I linked to for VN-era spec BDUs - reliable and not outrageous pricing either. Both OD and TigerStripe are available.

As for mag pouches, you have two primary options; the belt-cliped 3-mag capacity pouches (ebay, not too expensive either), or you can get the bandoliers (of which you can pick genuine issue ones that are surplus for a song on ebay). M1911 mag pouches also clip onto your belt and hold capacity of two. The design is the same from WW2 right through to Vietnam.

Siva has hooked me up with BDU's

Getting tigerstripe and OD. Hero.

Yeah going to have to get a bunch of ammo pouches now.

Thanks for the help

Doc you're killing me :mad: This has got to be the quickest build time for a loadout in the history of loadout building!! I mean you where only hinting at it last week and now it's nearly finished!!! :eek:
    regarding the belts i'll have to call into the shop sometime and pick one up so or can i order them online?

Some people have all the luck...

*Punches Doc's avatar on-screen repeatedly*

Renius wrote: »
    Doc you're killing me :mad: This has got to be the quickest build time for a loadout in the history of loadout building!! I mean you where only hinting at it last week and now it's nearly finished!!! :eek:
    regarding the belts i'll have to call into the shop sometime and pick one up so or can i order them online?

LOL

I decided to make one Saturday in work, talking to Dex. That night i went and watched We Were Soldiers and said " yeah thats me"

I guess it jsut shows what i can do when i put my mind to it, and forget about being worried financially. Shiva has been an immense help in acquiring the essential parts. Now its jsut waiting time for the stuff to arrive.

If you want one of the belts, order something on the website for €20 and put in the comment " substitute for Vietnam OD belt" and ill be able to sort you out.

Also if anyone is actually interested, we can sort out good quality Tiger Stripe and the same AEG I'm getting. If your interested.

Some poeple are not impressed with me though, the money i have thrown at this loadout in two days, i could have gone to Berget twice lol :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

bwhahaa.,
    little do you know how cheap it is here., :p

yeah they clearly wouldnt know what XL is haha :)

T Dawg is sorting me camo out, truspec ****. OD and Tiger.

Then I just this second got linked to a site in America that does the ammo pouches and buttpacks and less then 5 dollars each, shipping at 5 dollars.

So basically, I've got all my kit now, just got to wait for it too arrive.

Hope the trips going well for you :)

If I had of come up with this idea Friday I could have giving you a shopping list :P

If you want one of the belts, order something on the website for €20 and put in the comment " substitute for Vietnam OD belt" and ill be able to sort you out.

Deadly cheers doc i'll do that over the weekend! How much for the tiger stripe just out of interest?

• Advertisement

Yeah Doc where you gettin the $5 pouches / BDUs from? I'd be interested as my college grant just arrived ;)

I'll tell you after I order >:P

http://jandadiscountmilitarysurplus.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=286

http://jandadiscountmilitarysurplus.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=80

http://jandadiscountmilitarysurplus.com/ca...products_id=170

There ya go Vietnam lovers

All the pouches for your webbing. Now shipping is expensive

Its $80 total incl shipping for
    4 ammo pouches
    butt pack
    gas mask pack

Consdiering it got me everything, i paid for it

So theres my secret, go get your pouches

WEbbing available plenty on ebay now at the moment

:)

You do know that, technically the ammo pouches aren't M56, they're ALICE, right? Just me nitpicking though, cheers.

Thanks a million for that Doc! Invaluable info! They'll have to go on the back burner for the minute as i'm SKINT but i'll get to it eventually! Anyway are you happy with the quality of the stuff you ordered? Have you gotten your M16 yet from fire support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

if your looking to go for a cheap loadout and easy to get BDU's
    Force Recon marines wore woodland BDU's in the later stages of the conflict ,a full decade or 2 before it became standard issuse for the modern us military,
    il throw some pics up i was sent ,

• Advertisement

They wore something similar only in a cut the same as the Olive Drab uniform.Again nitpicking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERDL_pattern

Renius wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that Doc! Invaluable info! They'll have to go on the back burner for the minute as i'm SKINT but i'll get to it eventually! Anyway are you happy with the quality of the stuff you ordered? Have you gotten your M16 yet from fire support?

Getting my rifle through Shiva. Much handier. Getting the G&P body too. Also ordering the tigerstripe bdu and od ones.

The gear from the website i ordered looks grand, and for 70 euro, its hassle free. Ordered yesterday, got a tracking number and its in transit.

work in progress macv-sog

DSC_41670001.jpg
    DSC_41620001.jpg
    DSC_41590001.jpg

20rd mags pouches need replacing along with yoke as they are cheap nylon modern reproductions

Lookin good Puding! Yeah those ALICE mag pouches just don't fit in on M56 webbing do they...

Keep us posted on your progress wont ya

yep im not happy with them either, they where brought as part of a package with the used canteens covers and i just use them as place holders at the moment

DSC_41720001.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement