Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britvic Ireland to shed 145 jobs

• 23-01-2009 7:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Drinks group Britvic Ireland has announced that it is to cut 145 jobs over the next 12 months.

It says the decision was made following a review of its business. The jobs will primarily be cut from logistics, finance, IT, and sales departments.

Britvic Ireland, with brands including Ballygowan, 7UP, Club, Mi Wadi and Robinsons, currently employs about 940 staff.
    Advertisement

It has operations in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Donegal and Belfast.

The company says it will be restructuring its business, possibly consolidating regional distribution centres to Dublin, which would lead to the closure of the Cork, Donegal and Waterford depots.

'The need for restructuring has been accelerated by exceptionally challenging economic and retail conditions in Ireland,' the company said.

Recently announced investment programmes of €17m - including the upgrading of the Dublin production facility and the introduction of a new IT infrastructure - remain on track.

Britvic management will now engage with staff and their union representatives to begin implementing the changes.

Source: RTE

More job losses for Waterford it seems. Noticed a few small stores in town also closed/closing down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Sully wrote: »

More job losses for Waterford it seems. Noticed a few small stores in town also closed/closing down.
    this is a widespread ecademic no job is safe in any town from the small shop to the multinational corporation scarey times and more hardship to come me thinks as we have a government in place that is,nt up to the job of trying to save jobs and even at that the people that are in the dole lines are waiting up to ten weeks to recieve there first payments what are people to survive on???? i could just imagine cowen doin a marie atoinette on it and saying" Let them eat cake" i think its time to revolt who,s with me?????? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

tis crazy alright, can't believe the amount of closures and job losses lately. I had a bathroom half tiled when tile market went under and the walls are still bare. Was in morris's earlier and overheard something about work there being shaky too. could list half a dozen places that have just packed up and are letting people go. scary stuff for a nation of people who were only yesterday living like money grew on trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

solas wrote: »
    tis crazy alright, can't believe the amount of closures and job losses lately. I had a bathroom half tiled when tile market went under and the walls are still bare. Was in morris's earlier and overheard something about work there being shaky too. could list half a dozen places that have just packed up and are letting people go. scary stuff for a nation of people who were only yesterday living like money grew on trees

Any business thats related to the construction sector will be in trouble at the moment. Any decorators, white-goods sellers, carpet fitters etc, its going to be a dodgy time for them. Either they'll have to scale back their employment figures or close unfortunately. Morris closing would be tragic as they've been around so long, are local and I've found give you a better deal than multi-nationals.

Regarding the britvic depot, did that go on fire last year?

Advertisement